Replica Scottish Cup

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gutting.

Having had a search, for those - and there are surely many - desperate to know what miniature plastic silverware were up-for-grabs, apparently:

World Cup

Pict4414.jpg

European Cup

Pict4604.jpg

FA Cup

Pict4308.jpg

EPL

Pic10311.jpg

Football League Cup

Pict4503.jpg

also the old World Cup and the old European Cup

Pict4233.jpg

Gutting.

Having had a search, for those - and there are surely many - desperate to know what miniature plastic silverware were up-for-grabs, apparently:

World Cup

Pict4414.jpg

European Cup

Pict4604.jpg

FA Cup

Pict4308.jpg

EPL

Pic10311.jpg

Football League Cup

Pict4503.jpg

also the old World Cup and the old European Cup

Pict4233.jpg

They also did a proper version of the 2nd FIFA World Cup after previous licencing problems:

mIgJdOebysI-pAeYEstewVg.jpg

I remember my Dad kicking my arse cos I used an entire can of galvafroid spray on his fence post driver which I though made a pretty good replica European Cup.

Caldwells%20Post%20Driver%20Rammer_small

I got grounded when Enzo Scifo's penalty sailed through the garage window.

A drive-all. Wow! Sheet nostalgia. Good things, toe ' tectors.

Still got my old Subutteo stuff. Scoreboard, fence, Jules Rimet and even an AstroTurf pitch.

I remember taking to painting new teams as well.

I had the astroturf pitch too. I didn't think it was a success.

I first got the floodlights edition, but it had only two pylons.

More rubbish followed, fences, tv towers, corner kickers and throw in takers. The fence for round the pitch was like none I'd ever seen at a football ground. And don't start me on the World Cup goals - one with a blue net; one with a red.

I was never much good at playing Subbuteo, but God, I loved all the rubbish that surrounded it.

I had the astroturf pitch too. I didn't think it was a success.I first got the floodlights edition, but it had only two pylons.More rubbish followed, fences, tv towers, corner kickers and throw in takers. The fence for round the pitch was like none I'd ever seen at a football ground. And don't start me on the World Cup goals - one with a blue net; one with a red.I was never much good at playing Subbuteo, but God, I loved all the rubbish that surrounded it.

Do you remember the different types of goals? My mate had the Mexico'86 goals.....they were smart.

Do you remember the different types of goals? My mate had the Mexico'86 goals.....they were smart.

I still have a few teams and the pitch etc in the garage. My favourite team was the Brazil one I got after eating my bodyweight in pickled onion tudor crisps to collect enough tokens for a "free" team.

Had some great fun playing in leagues with mates during summer holidays.

There was one guy who had all the accessories though we weren't allowed to touch anything in case something got broken.

One painful memory of the game is kneeling on a man when wearing shorts. Not only did you have to pick the fragments out of your skin but you lost a player too.

I still have a few teams and the pitch etc in the garage. My favourite team was the Brazil one I got after eating my bodyweight in pickled onion tudor crisps to collect enough tokens for a "free" team.

Had some great fun playing in leagues with mates during summer holidays.

There was one guy who had all the accessories though we weren't allowed to touch anything in case something got broken.

One painful memory of the game is kneeling on a man when wearing shorts. Not only did you have to pick the fragments out of your skin but you lost a player too.

I never really had the patience for subbuteo and was usually playing Football Director on my 48/128K ZX Spectrum......with the "highlights" being played out with a songe ball. Happy days!

Bit late for me I'm afraid, but I do recall the launch of some cool ones, that kind of looked like most real goals do nowadays, with two posts for the net, as opposed to traditional stanchions.

Queens were number 119 in the book I think and they wore white socks for some reason.

I only ever had a basic set: red team, blue team, cloth pitch (it would always need re-ironed before the closing stages of the Scottish Cup), and 'clip-on' goals. Couple of balls, one of which broke along the glue-line in later years, and a set of referees. Despite the initial availability of a substitute, the XIs latterly featured several players (and linesmen flags) sporting bluetac repairs.

I'd a friend with a full astroturf pitch and lots of bespoke teams which his grandparents kept buying him, but he could rarely be bothered playing with it through apathy. What a terrible waste.

EDIT: I've the humourous 'Flick to Kick' illustrated history of Subbuteo, and a couple of old posters kept inside it.

1974-75 Catalogue

2 (Standard Issue - Blue Shirts, White Shorts, Blue Socks) ... Cardiff, Chesterfield, Hartlepool, Ipswich, Rangers, St Johnstone, Queen of the South, Glenavon, Linfield, Drogheda, Limerick, CZ Jena, Shalke, Penarol, Strasbourg, Belenenses, Turnhout, Greece Apollon + Cyprus

41 (All Red with White Collar & Cuffs)... Bristol City, Crewe, Liverpool, Scunthorpe, Aberdeen, Stirling Albion + Wales

45 (Green Shirt / White Sleeves & Collar, White Shorts with Green Trim, Green Socks with White Trim)... Hibs bespoke

Nothing for Berwick seemingly :(.

1980s Poster

002 - as above but now Cardiff City, Carlisle Utd, Chester City, Chesterfield, Cowdenbeath, Queen of the South, Limerick, Belenenses, Ethnikos, Karlsruher SC, Molde, Valerengen, Viking + Japan

030 (Yellow & Black Stripes, Black Shorts, Yellow Socks with Black Trim)... Cambridge Utd, Berwick Rangers, East Fife, AEK, Lierse, Vitesse

045 - as above Hibs but now alongwith Brugge Cercle

724 (All Red with White Trim - short sleeved)... Aberdeen + Hungary, Wales

1990s Poster

002 - as above but no longer Cardiff, Chester, Ethnikos or Karlsruher and now alongwith Caledonian Thistle, Dundee and RC Strasbourg

006 (Yellow Shirt with Black Cuffs, Black Shorts, Yellow Socks with Black Trim)... Barnet, Watford, Alloa, Berwick Rangers, East Fife, AEK, Aris, Bodo/Glimt, Lillestrom, Linzer ASK, Roda, Start

045 - as above Hibs but now bespoke again

724 - as above

119 seems to have included Everton, Leicester City, and the Jewish Guild

214 seems to have included Leyton Orient, Brechin City, Ancona, Argentinos Juniors, FC Metz, Osasuna, Samsunspor + Canada

Interesting to trace the spread of racial representation across the posters :lol:...!! In the 1970s, the black teams were Brazil, Argentina, Chile, El Salvador, Peru, Uruguay, Haiti and Zaire, plus club sides Santos.

But by the 1980s you also got Botafogo - plus Columbia, Flamengo, Fluminense and Vasco da Gama in a sort of orangised 'tan' :unsure2:.

How do they arrange it nowadays - does each European team include a few black players, and each American/African team a few white?

Interesting to trace the spread of racial representation across the posters :lol:...!! In the 1970s, the black teams were Brazil, Argentina, Chile, El Salvador, Peru, Uruguay, Haiti and Zaire, plus club sides Santos.

But by the 1980s you also got Botafogo - plus Columbia, Flamengo, Fluminense and Vasco da Gama in a sort of orangised 'tan' :unsure2:.

How do they arrange it nowadays - does each European team include a few black players, and each American/African team a few white?

Brilliant stuff HJ.

I do seem to remember Argentina players all being black, although the notion seemed so removed from reality as to make me wonder if I'd imagined it.

I've no idea how it now works in racial terms. Indeed, does it still work at all? In the era of FIFA etc, to what extent is Subbuteo still marketed and updated? I daresay there remains a retro market, but I can't imagine that the same attention is lavished on keeping it current, as once was.

I only ever had a basic set: red team, blue team, cloth pitch (it would always need re-ironed before the closing stages of the Scottish Cup), and 'clip-on' goals. Couple of balls, one of which broke along the glue-line in later years, and a set of referees. Despite the initial availability of a substitute, the XIs latterly featured several players (and linesmen flags) sporting bluetac repairs.

I'd a friend with a full astroturf pitch and lots of bespoke teams which his grandparents kept buying him, but he could rarely be bothered playing with it through apathy. What a terrible waste.

EDIT: I've the humourous 'Flick to Kick' illustrated history of Subbuteo, and a couple of old posters kept inside it.

1974-75 Catalogue

2 (Standard Issue - Blue Shirts, White Shorts, Blue Socks) ... Cardiff, Chesterfield, Hartlepool, Ipswich, Rangers, St Johnstone, Queen of the South, Glenavon, Linfield, Drogheda, Limerick, CZ Jena, Shalke, Penarol, Strasbourg, Belenenses, Turnhout, Greece Apollon + Cyprus

41 (All Red with White Collar & Cuffs)... Bristol City, Crewe, Liverpool, Scunthorpe, Aberdeen, Stirling Albion + Wales

45 (Green Shirt / White Sleeves & Collar, White Shorts with Green Trim, Green Socks with White Trim)... Hibs bespoke

Nothing for Berwick seemingly :(.

1980s Poster

002 - as above but now Cardiff City, Carlisle Utd, Chester City, Chesterfield, Cowdenbeath, Queen of the South, Limerick, Belenenses, Ethnikos, Karlsruher SC, Molde, Valerengen, Viking + Japan

030 (Yellow & Black Stripes, Black Shorts, Yellow Socks with Black Trim)... Cambridge Utd, Berwick Rangers, East Fife, AEK, Lierse, Vitesse

045 - as above Hibs but now alongwith Brugge Cercle

724 (All Red with White Trim - short sleeved)... Aberdeen + Hungary, Wales

1990s Poster

002 - as above but no longer Cardiff, Chester, Ethnikos or Karlsruher and now alongwith Caledonian Thistle, Dundee and RC Strasbourg

006 (Yellow Shirt with Black Cuffs, Black Shorts, Yellow Socks with Black Trim)... Barnet, Watford, Alloa, Berwick Rangers, East Fife, AEK, Aris, Bodo/Glimt, Lillestrom, Linzer ASK, Roda, Start

045 - as above Hibs but now bespoke again

724 - as above

119 seems to have included Everton, Leicester City, and the Jewish Guild

214 seems to have included Leyton Orient, Brechin City, Ancona, Argentinos Juniors, FC Metz, Osasuna, Samsunspor + Canada

I think the catalogue I recall was from 1979, but my memories are certainly fallible on this stuff.

Am I to conclude that Rangers of 74/75 are portrayed as wearing blue socks? Am I further to conclude that Dundee and Quuens were at one point meant to wear very similar strips, or am I reading this wrongly?

By the way, Hibs bespoke, was a team I possessed. My attempts to make them Northern Ireland in the interests of staging the Home Internationals, were never convincing.

Brilliant stuff HJ.

I do seem to remember Argentina players all being black, although the notion seemed so removed from reality as to make me wonder if I'd imagined it.

I've no idea how it now works in racial terms. Indeed, does it still work at all? In the era of FIFA etc, to what extent is Subbuteo still marketed and updated? I daresay there remains a retro market, but I can't imagine that the same attention is lavished on keeping it current, as once was.

It's a fair point. There is a Subbuteo website - nowadays you can get various generic teams (some of which are obviously meant to look like for example Aston Villa, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid); national teams; and clubs sides Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United. They seem to include anything from 1 to 3 black players, and also some long-haired players.

http://en.subbuteo.com/

Scotland appear all-white:

b7aceb2d5ee3aca72ff3a2973a41a775566b37bb

It also seems to be produced under licence by Paul Lamond Games, and 'pirated' by companies called Zeugo and Parodi. PLG do a Celtic which is certainly diverse in racial and hairstyle terms:

7063805.jpg

6222577.jpg

Rangers, less so:

7063814.jpg

Zeugo produce over 100 teams but the only Scottish ones are Celtic, Rangers... Ross County... and Dunfermline :unsure2::lol:!! Just bizarre.

Also seems to be a firm called 'Leggenda' doing retro Aberdeen & Rangers kit from their CWC victories.

4930728.jpg

4930739.jpg

... and Motherwell 1931-32 :o:lol::thumsup2.

4597459.jpg

This gets better.

Why have Aberdeen got silly white bits on the front of their shorts and a neckline thing nothing like that sported by the team of that vintage?

Why create a 1930s Motherwell, even if they were good?

Why sidestep so many in order to manufacture Ross County and Dunfermline?

I'm starting to fall in love with Subbuteo all over again.

Archived