Dylan Carreiro

How's he been playing on his loan spell at Arbroath? Just seen he's been called back to Dundee and was wondering if any Lichties reckon if he'd be good enough to cut it in the Prem, probably coming on as a sub.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, it's been proven that positionally Carreiro doesn't have the discipline to play in anything other than a free role in midfield. I think it's also been proven, when we went through our diamond phase, that we can't play that formation as it leaves us wide open down the flanks. This being the case, I simply don't think Carreiro can start games for us, and even coming off the bench it has to be a game where we're chasing for another goal as opposed to trying to defend a lead. Against East Fife at home we brought him on in the centre of midfield and we lost two goals through EF walking through the centre of the park (where the more defensive minded Keiran Stewart would most likely have been), against Queen's Park we lost a goal within the first two minutes down the left hand side when Carreiro didn't track back and left McBride unable to cope with the 2 v 1 situation and again against Elgin on Tuesday we lost a goal down the right hand side within 10 minutes of Carreiro coming on, after he was several yards off his man and allowed him to get an easy cross in. Against Elgin, considering what we know of how Dylan Carreiro plays, I was amazed we brought him on at 1-0 up when we just needed to retain the ball, keep it sensible and be disciplined when Elgin were attacking.

There is no doubting he is technically the best player in our squad, if not the whole division, but he doesn't fit into the formation we play, and we can't f**k about with things to fit him in, or try to squeeze him in somewhere he has been tried previously and shown he doesn't have the discipline. Out of our wide players, Bobby Linn and Scott McBride if playing in the midfield will always track back and help the full back, I've seen Bobby cover 70/ 80 yards full pelt to get back in and cut out a pass on multiple occaisions. Dylan must be rather fit due to his full time training but have you ever seen him busting a gut to get back and help out?

My Dundee supporting friends tell me that they're short on attacking midfielders currently due to injuries, but have ample defensive midfielders to cover, so it sounds like Carreiro may fit exactly what they need currently. I wish him all the best at Dundee, if they play him in the position that suits him he could be okay at that level, but if played too far back in midfield and expected to track opposition players/ play a disciplined position he will struggle. Certainly he showed on Saturday technically he can easily step up a few divisions.

^^^Opinion on Dylan Carreiro ;)

Good , decent attacking midfield player - made a great contribution to the Arbroath squad and I think he would have been surprised by the standard of football that the 'broath play.

He seemed to enjoy playing for the Lichties and I wish him well on his return to Dens.

Perhaps Arbroath might bring in another player on loan in January ?

The future is Maroon.

Good , decent attacking midfield player - made a great contribution to the Arbroath squad and I think he would have been surprised by the standard of football that the 'broath play.

He seemed to enjoy playing for the Lichties and I wish him well on his return to Dens.

Perhaps Arbroath might bring in another player on loan in January ?

The future is Maroon.

Cheers man, but I'm afraid the future is Dark Blue. Sorry.

Archived