Bully Wee vs Wee Rovers

If Stuart Millar had been appointed at start of this season and was presiding over this shambles he would have been hooked by now. Would he have got out of jail by saying "wait to see what brilliant things I'll do in January that I couldn't have done in August"? Would he have been kept on because he had a fair bit of coaching experience at senior and junior level? Nope both times.

Well, that's clearly not true as we were marooned to the bottom of the league by about 15 points at this stage with Stuart Millar in charge and he was still given to the end of January. I don't even think BF's most ardent critics would argue that he is worse than Millar.

It seems to me that people are blinded by an obvious dislike for Ferguson before even taking into account his managerial capabilities. We could win the rest of our games this season and there would still be some folk moaning that he cuts about his house with a pair of Rangers slippers on.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's clearly not true as we were marooned to the bottom of the league by about 15 points at this stage with Stuart Millar in charge and he was still given to the end of January. I don't even think BF's most ardent critics would argue that he is worse than Millar.

It seems to me that people are blinded by an obvious dislike for Ferguson before even taking into account his managerial capabilities. We could win the rest of our games this season and there would still be some folk moaning that he cuts about his house with a pair of Rangers slippers on.

Can only speak for myself Scott that the only thing I'm interested in is if a manager's good. Who he is or played for is irrelevant

The only season I'd deem "successful" bearing in mind the level we're playing at would involve promotion

I'm more or less in line with what Mr Chop says. However, the club have set their stall out, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks now. We can only hope that at the end of the season there's at least a sense of relief the club weren't relegated. I haven't seen anything to suggest there will be a huge turnaround but I obviously hope I'm wrong

Let's hope the points lost while "treading water" aren't those in the end which sent the club down to oblivion. As with all the club's plans, its now just a case of "we'll have to wait & see"

Was up watching this on Saturday, poor game and The Rovers never really looked like losing. Should have won by 2 or 3 goals. One of the best shouts from Barry Ferguson was when he was shouting instructions to one of his players, who then lost the ball, Ferguson then turned round and shouted "I'm fed up shouting at these fucking idiots." Wonder when he will get the bullet.

Well, that's clearly not true as we were marooned to the bottom of the league by about 15 points at this stage with Stuart Millar in charge and he was still given to the end of January. I don't even think BF's most ardent critics would argue that he is worse than Millar. It seems to me that people are blinded by an obvious dislike for Ferguson before even taking into account his managerial capabilities. We could win the rest of our games this season and there would still be some folk moaning that he cuts about his house with a pair of Rangers slippers on.
Correct, correct and correct again. Millar argualy got three months' too long in the job, and in my opinion should have been gone when it was blatantly obvious that he no longer knew what it was exactly that was happening.
Was up watching this on Saturday, poor game and The Rovers never really looked like losing. Should have won by 2 or 3 goals. One of the best shouts from Barry Ferguson was when he was shouting instructions to one of his players, who then lost the ball, Ferguson then turned round and shouted "I'm fed up shouting at these fucking idiots." Wonder when he will get the bullet.
We're all fed up shouting at those fucking idiots, to be fair.

Can only speak for myself Scott that the only thing I'm interested in is if a manager's good. Who he is or played for is irrelevant

The only season I'd deem "successful" bearing in mind the level we're playing at would involve promotion

I'm more or less in line with what Mr Chop says. However, the club have set their stall out, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks now. We can only hope that at the end of the season there's at least a sense of relief the club weren't relegated. I haven't seen anything to suggest there will be a huge turnaround but I obviously hope I'm wrong

Let's hope the points lost while "treading water" aren't those in the end which sent the club down to oblivion. As with all the club's plans, its now just a case of "we'll have to wait & see"

That's fair enough, he should be judged purely on his performance as manager which is why I appreciate the frustration amongst the support because it hasn't been good enough so far. Obviously the main point of disagreement is whether or not he should be given more time to try and turn it around, but as you said the board have made their position clear so we'll just have to sit tight and hope Santa is good to us...

That said, I do believe some of the criticism he's coming under is unfair (particuarly in relation to his media work) and to me it stems from a dislike for Ferguson himself.

OK folks I stand corrected on where we were with Millar, but let's remember he didn't take a team that had just missed out on promotion and turn them into a team that didn't give a shit, didn't look like they were trying and couldn't score a goal. Neither was he an egotistical moron who showed the club, players and fans no respect whatsoever - though in truth his own image wasn't exactly dynamic and I would happily live with boors like Ferguson, Roberts or Kernahan so long as we were getting results on the park.

I haven't got it in for BF just because he is ex-OF, previous and following employers is irrelevant but I don't expect he will prove to be one of our finest ambassadors.

Ferguson is only an employee and beyond his own CV why should he care about us or we about him? Just so long as he is not given enough rope to hang the club should he continue in the current vein then that will have to do for now. But with that wonderful thing called hindsight we can now appreciate the Craig Browns and Terry Christies of this world - though preferably in relatively small doses!

Actually, on reflection, maybe the players need a John McVeigh right now i.e. "Let me catch any of you not trying and I'll break your fu**ing nose."

This behaviour is typical of the 'most professional' manager our board have ever worked with.

What a load of pish.

His managerial capabilities (or severe lack of) are exactly why he is getting criticised.

That team on Saturday contained 6 players he brought in yet we are told they are treading water til a jan clearout. How did he manage to sign so much pish in the first place then?

I was actually quite excited by his appointment and the profile he brought to the club. However severe warning bells were ringing following the ibrox debacle and his comments after. Its been downhill since then and its no surprise our best results came in the first few games before he dismantled the team completely.

Exactly what I have been saying, these players who are supposedley underperforming or not trying are more or less all BF signings. We started David Sinclair and David Gray on Saturday and they were both useless, surely they are not better than Sweeney and Capuano who played a large amount of games together in central midfield last season. Also, Durie has been brought in as a right back but for me I would rather have had Fraser McGhee. BF should have signed 4 or 5 players to strengthen certain areas and increase squad competitiveness, not release players and sign players of lesser quality.

I seem to remember most games when guys like Capuano, Scullion and McColm played they got dogs abuse and people constantly saying how rubbish they were. We would definitely be doing better with these guys in the team at the moment compared to some of the guys that are getting games like Sinclair and Smith.

Surely McColm is a better option than Kevin Watt on the left hand side? I am all for getting rid of players if they are not good enough, and if you are gonna replace them with better players but in BF's case he has replaced players with guys of a lesser quality.

Ask yourself this - is the team better now than when he became manager?

Can anybody seriously answer 'Yes' to that?

Obviously not.

So, what could be the reason?

The players leaving were better than those coming in? (down to the manager).

The tactics are wrong (down to the manager).

The players who were there before he arrived are now worse than they used to be (down to the manager's lack of man-management skills).

McQueen and Scott Ferguson were outstanding last season. Look at them now.

It wouldn't surprise me if McQueen leaves in January, and in that case I bet Jim Duffy is in for him straight away.

Team spirit was great at the end of last season. Fans were right behind the team, and there was a connection again between players and fans. All gone now. (down to the manager).

BF was a good player.

I never liked him due to his Scotland antics, but was prepared to give him a chance, and was prepared to back him.

My opinion of him now is nothing to do with me not liking him.

He is the manager of my team, and he's failing abysmally.

We should get shot of him now before he does any more damage.

Archived