A quick Pint?

I can't really understand all of the discussions on radio, the telly, and endless pages in the papers about how badly football fans are treated concerning not getting a drink inside the ground. Seemingly we all throw pints down our neck in local pubs and then run, or stagger to the ground at five to three. My perception from the many grounds that I have frequented is that fans can go into the bars within the ground well before 3.00 pm, and pop back in after the game finishes. This is in addition to the many thousands of guys and gals in hospitality. And don't give me the story about that its just the prawn sandwich brigade in hospitality. Simply not true. Ok, you can't have a drink during the game, big deal. Fans in England have to go into the concourses at half time but cant take a pint back to their seat. A 15 minute rush job. Rugby fans can try to carry six pints on a plastic tray and spill most of it on other punters. No thanks.

A lot of fuss about very little, most of it spoken or written about by people who don't even go to games.

The choice should be there though.

Let market forces dictate if alcohol is served in a ground, not draconian laws which treat the average punter with very little respect at all.

However, £6 for a lukewarm pint of Tennent's served in a plastic tumbler? No thanks.

Quite often find those desperate for drink have probably had more than enough before going into a game. Doing without a pint for maybe a couple hours max is no more draconian than expecting smokers to without for the same time at many grounds. Tend to drive to most games so even a pint is not on now.

Doing without a pint for maybe a couple hours max is no more draconian than expecting smokers to without for the same time at many grounds.

Thing is, the laws are draconian in comparison with the rest of the UK and Europe.

They were essentially put in place as the Old Firm knocked lumps out of each other. Apart from a few Peterhead fans moaning about the junkies, you very rarely hear of any problems at a League 1 game. The same laws would no doubt apply, re: serving intoxicated punters.

The smoking argument is a straw man. Commonly banned in all enclosed public places in the UK and Europe.

As I say though, you'd be mental to pay a fortune for what would inevitably be an awful pint.

I think it's down to own personal choice and I honestly believe that the paying public should be able to have that choice.

I'm not much of a drinker anyway and go through pretty much most of the season without drinking on a Saturday afternoon, but that's my choice. For other people, going to the boozer before and after a game is part of their day out and I honestly feel that if a person wants to have a beer before kick off or at half time then they should be allowed to.

Now if that person then decides to be a tit then they should be dealt with, however the thousands of people who behave like the sensible adults that we are shouldn't have to suffer.

As I say, couldn't give a monkey's about it myself however I honestly don't see the problem with it.

Regan's drink in the grounds statement was in the press on the day the new drink driving legislation came into force.

This sums up the ignorance of a committee who have no grasp of reality or what really goes on in the outside world.

This whole thing came about from Barry Hearn's talk to the blazers about how badly run our national game is. The drink part was the only positive thing they could take out of the meeting and Regan's statement was aimed solely to deflect from the criticism of cockwomble and co.

Been to Murrayfield and I have to say there is something quite domesticated about having a drink whilst watching live sport. That said it is bloody expensive (hence the smuggled hip flask) and only done every other year.

As has been stated you are likely to get a terrible pint and clubs will rip the arse out of it. Or as above folk will smuggle in drinks.

I for one am quite happy having pre and post drink if I choose in the local. All that will happen is that the half wits will become complete wits whilst they keep their alcohol levels topped up!

As has been pointed out, most of this nonsense comes from a combination of people who have never been to a match and policemen who will do anything to get out of doing their job.

There has been a bar inside Gayfield for long enough where, as a visiting supporter I am always made most welcome, and how many clubs in the lower leagues have bars at the ground where visiting fans are encouraged to join the natives in a pre/post match pint. No, this is a Premier League argument (which can probably be further whittled down to one or two 'difficult' clubs) and, as far as we civilised lower league people are concerned, the best thing we can do is ignore the whole silly nonsense and get on with improving things in our own way. Forfar are the latest club to offer a bar at the ground, and I am sure, given time, everybody will follow suit. As my Mum was wont to say, 'ignore them and they will go away'.

As has been pointed out, most of this nonsense comes from a combination of people who have never been to a match and policemen who will do anything to get out of doing their job.

There has been a bar inside Gayfield for long enough where, as a visiting supporter I am always made most welcome, and how many clubs in the lower leagues have bars at the ground where visiting fans are encouraged to join the natives in a pre/post match pint. No, this is a Premier League argument (which can probably be further whittled down to one or two 'difficult' clubs) and, as far as we civilised lower league people are concerned, the best thing we can do is ignore the whole silly nonsense and get on with improving things in our own way. Forfar are the latest club to offer a bar at the ground, and I am sure, given time, everybody will follow suit. As my Mum was wont to say, 'ignore them and they will go away'.

We've never been allowed into the bar at Dumbarton.

If we cant have it as normal fans at football they should also remove it from hospitality at football, and any other live sports in Scotland

It's not that i want a drink in the ground its that it should be fair across the board, plus it should stop folk playing soggy biscuit in Murrayfield

Our new shiny stadium will be welcoming to all fans, apparently. I'm with Pesadilla on this one, people should have the choice and anyone causing any nonsense should be ejected as they would be now for being drunk in the ground. Someone mentioned the smoking ban, there's actually a good few grounds that will let you into an open area to have a smoke whilst the game is on, Raith being the first one that comes to mind. Again I think if it's possible fans should be given the option (I understand not all grounds will have an area for this).

That's reportedly due to home and away supporters having to share the same set of toilets which access the home end of the stadium. If there was a toilet that access the away seating from the bar then apparently away fans would be allowed in our bar.

That's reportedly due to home and away supporters having to share the same set of toilets which access the home end of the stadium. If there was a toilet that access the away seating from the bar then apparently away fans would be allowed in our bar.

You can use our bar but no our toilets ???? :lol: :lol: .

Dumbarton is about as welcoming a matchday experience as a day out to Barlinnie !!

Bowling clubs seem to be fairly welcoming, Dumbarton & Ayr spring to mind. As for a smoke honestly cant see why a small area away from where folk are sitting could not be found at lots of grounds without harming anyone, as mentioned at half-time they let you out a side door in the away end but most places will not open a door for that so you are technically outside.

Archived