Airdrie vs Dunfermline

Is the squad reallygood enough?

Scully - yes an excellent young keeper

Millen - no, destined for the juniors
Buchanan - yes, very promising centre half
Page - perhaps, think he was harshly treated. Better than Martin imo.
Whittle - he has something, maybe not good enough if we managed promotion

Stirling - hit and miss, needs some time and a run in the team.
Geggan - needs dropped or sold. Terrible this season.
Falkingham - Struggling but doing better recently
Thomson - why can't we play this guy in the centre? He's pushed about all over the place to accomodate Geggan.

Smith - Again, think he has got something, needs a run but will not get a chance.
Moffat - Disaster - supposed to be a marquee signing. Looks lost.

Subs:
Goodfellow - Unfair to judge.
Urquhart - Don't see how he's any better than Page.
Chemin - needs a run, why not play two wingers?!
Forbes - Disaster, like Moffat. Wish we had kept Husband.
Byrne - Too lightweight but on his day a terrific footballer.
Spence - Why has he been dropped? One positive from this season.
Faissal - All over the place at times but worth bringing on to run at teams.

So really,

players that are of a decent standard or have something to offer at a higher level.

Scully, Buchanan, Williamson, Falkingham, Spence.

players who are at their level

Page, Whittle, Stirling, Thomson, Fais, Geggan, Smith, Bryne, Chemin, Ugwu, Urquart, Martin

players who aren't performing at this level or are lost

Moffat, Forbes, Millen,

I don't know how much of the above is down to the way they are managed or if they are just terrible.

Moffat and Forbes clearly have something - not sure what's going on with them.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we just play an awful formation that doesn't suit the players we have available. For example, I think Geggan was better against Ayr as he wasn't in the opposition box all the time putting anything that comes near him into row z.

There's no positional discipline in midfield - we cram midfielders into the team but there's no clear definition of who does what so we end up losing sloppy goals with guys out of position (eg Stranraer's two counters last night).

Attacking has been a mess for about a year now. We had a setup that suited Ryan Wallace. We have nobody else that can play his role yet we have stuck with that system, expecting old fashioned strikers like Moff or Smith to just do what he did.

We just seem to be regressing. Stranraer's manager and a couple of players were very open after we beat them 3-2 at home last season. They talked about how we wore them out by keeping the ball at the back and running their forwards into the ground. Even early in the game it was clear they had turned this tactic on as Thomson and Smith ran about burning lots of energy but getting nowhere. They were much more relaxed in possession, got back in numbers and were better at quick counters and changing the pace of the game. That's good coaching.

Stranraer were really good but I'd struggle to pinpoint any player as having caught the eye - they simply looked a better organised unit, same as we've seen many times against part timers.

Edit - sorry - not quite Airdrie v Pars related.

----

Can I revise my earlier Airdrie 3 5 Pars prediction to a straightforward 3-0 home win? Ta.

Geggan is the one I'm most disappointed with. The season we signed him he looked a complete disaster after being humped out the cup by Forfar, until JJ started playing him in the middle where he was a total machine; running at opposition's box, winning almost everything in the middle and picking out brilliant passes. Contender for best player in the league. Ever since the most part of last season until now, he has been a total passenger. He's nowhere near as influential and simply doesn't deserve the captain's armband.

For the game on Saturday, Christ knows what the formation is. Will he change the team radically again after defeat, win the match, then change it back to the same disastrous formation for Stranraer and lose and we're all back shouting for him to GTF? It is nearly Christmas and we still don't have a settled team. Stranraer and Forfar do, that's why we can't beat them: we still don't have a clue how we line up.

Two natural wingers, play a defensive midfielder and someone in the hole to win the battles with Smith running off a striker.

Assuming all injuries are still incurred, I would go for:

Scully

Millen

Buchanan

Urquhart

Whittle

Stirling

Falkingham

Thomson

Chemin

Smith

Moffat

Couldn't comment on performances but I'll be watching the scores from dry dock in Hamburg.

As noted we can raise our game, not just against Dunfermline, but as our 4-0 beating of Brechin showed earlier this season, against anyone. We rallied during October time but we need to get at least a point from this game to keep the pressure on Ayr.

I hope the boy Docherty makes an impression as Bollan knows him and where/how he plays.

I think at least 1-1 is required and most probably some bottle will be needed to see it out, and that is where a question still remains in my opinion.

On the banners front: can we get Jimmy85 to do a banner-inspired protest to JJ, similar to his one aimed at Masterton vs Dumbarton 2 seasons ago?

Cheers.

I think we just play an awful formation that doesn't suit the players we have available.

This, the problem isn't the players, the issue is that we have a manager who can't get the best out of them.

Have to be honest, yet i am getting sick of complaining about Jefferies now, realised a long time ago that he wasn't the answer and the result last night wasn't a surprise when you take into account his history of bottling matches.

The board seem happy to go along with this shite though, so yeh whatever.

This, the problem isn't the players, the issue is that we have a manager who can't get the best out of them.

Have to be honest, yet i am getting sick of complaining about Jefferies now, realised a long time ago that he wasn't the answer and the result last night wasn't a surprise when you take into account his history of bottling matches.

The board seem happy to go along with this shite though, so yeh whatever.

Awwwww, look at you! Sneaking back onto the thread like you didn't make a c**t of yourself in it. Bless.

Team news:

Williamson, Ugwu and Wallace remain out. Martin and Geggan are doubtful. Page is back in contention.

I'd go:

Scully

Millen

Buchanan

Page

Whittle

Stirling

Falkingham

Byrne

Thomson

Smith

Moffat

Subs:

Goodfellow

Urquhart

Chemin

Forbes

Geggan (Graham if Geggan isn't fit)

Spence

Faissal

For me i'd go with

Sculy

Millen buchanan martin(please let him be fit) whittle

Stirling bryne thomson faiss/Falkingham

Smith moffat

Subs

Goodfellow

Urquhart/page

Falkingham/faiss

Forbes

Geggan(graham/mercer if not fit)

Spence

Chemin

I'd really rather not have to play urquhart or page, i don't rate either and i can't separate them. Even if fit geggan needs to drop out as he was particularly poor vs stranraer, falkingham has been showing similar mistakes in terms of bad decision making and rushing things, he could do with a break too even tho faiss hasn't really shown enough form to demand a place in the team.

In an ideal world we could dump Urquhart,Stirling,Geggan and Byrne, all of them performed stinking on Tuesday.

Scully

Millen-Buchanan-Page-Whittle

Faiss-Spence-Thomson/Falky-Chemin

Smith-Moffat

Wasn't that enamored with Chemin tbh, bad decision maker and not much pace.

Was it my imagination or was Chemin (a left winger) playing on the right whilst two or three non left-wingers were playing wide left by late in the game against Stranraer? Like a reverse Joe Cardle, Chemin kept cutting in to hit a left foot shot.

I'd go

Scully

Millen

Urquhart

Buchanan

Whittle

Striling

Thomson or Falky or Byrne or Geggan or Forbes

Spence

Chemin

Moffat

Smith