Airdrie vs Dunfermline

I've often wondered if other teams could suffer such a dramatic fall in support as Airdrie. The way I see it in the 20 years i've watched Airdrie the average attendance has gone down from around 1200 core support say in 1994 to around 700 in 2004, meaning we've almost halved our support which is pretty dreadful. Within that there have been seasons with higher averages (first season back in Airdrie, the championship winning season etc) but to be where we are at now is no good at all. I suppose to look at other clubs in this context if Dunfermlines average attendance now is say 3000 they would need to fall to 1500 to have a similar collapse to us and as was rightly said this would take many years of sustained on Dunfermlines part.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've often wondered if other teams could suffer such a dramatic fall in support as Airdrie. The way I see it in the 20 years i've watched Airdrie the average attendance has gone down from around 1200 core support say in 1994 to around 700 in 2004, meaning we've almost halved our support which is pretty dreadful. Within that there have been seasons with higher averages (first season back in Airdrie, the championship winning season etc) but to be where we are at now is no good at all. I suppose to look at other clubs in this context if Dunfermlines average attendance now is say 3000 they would need to fall to 1500 to have a similar collapse to us and as was rightly said this would take many years of sustained on Dunfermlines part.

Well if you start the figure from the crowds achieved in this division then we'd have hardly fell at all either. Didn't Dunfy regularly get 3500+ last season? How many did they get when the were in the SPL?

Their support has certainly dropped since last season and will continue to drop each season spent in this league if they fail to win the league or playoffs as I said.

So what's being said is if we have a decade + of failure that Airdrie(and basically nobody else, even hibs were good for a while) have had then our crowds may drop massively. That's possibly true, but another season or two and this level, whilst dreaded

isn't going to make that happen.

There absolutely desperate for somebody to be as bad as them.

^^^ Typical pars fan hiding behind attendances to mask his clubs massive failures

Nobody said it would happen in one season. It didn't happen to us over one season. If Dunfermline fail to go up and go part-time they would likely turn into league one dross and would pose no real promotion threat. After prolonged seasons in this dire division crowds would drop and drop which is what happened at us.

Umm no, i am not masking any failures as its obvious that we are underperforming. Winning the league is the minimum expected for this season. If we had a better manager, we would be top of the league by now.

Pesadilla clearly said if we fail to win the league this year, it will be followed by PT football and crowds will drift down to 1200-1500 level. :lol: The difference is that not everyone is as depressed as f**k about their club as Airdrie fans are about theirs.

Dunfermline are fan owned, so if the fans don't turn up, we will die. We have supporters who contribute money per month to the club and if we don't go up, that funding will still continue. In addition, we have a core support of 2500 fans. There's no reason for us to go part time.

Well if you start the figure from the crowds achieved in this division then we'd have hardly fell at all either. Didn't Dunfy regularly get 3500+ last season? How many did they get when the were in the SPL?

Their support has certainly dropped since last season and will continue to drop each season spent in this league if they fail to win the league or playoffs as I said.

2010-11 3624

11-12 4799

12-13 3849

13-14 3419

14-15 - About 2650? I think over half our season ticket holders are concessions too.

2010-11 3624

11-12 4799

12-13 3849

13-14 3419

14-15 - About 2650? I think over half our season ticket holders are concessions too.

I fail to see your point? Unless you are giving evidence to back up my claims. Dunfermline have fallen from 4799 to 2650 as expected from relegation. Continued failure and failure to gain promotion from this division will see crowds drop further and further (relative to the size of the clubs support).

Umm no, i am not masking any failures as its obvious that we are underperforming. Winning the league is the minimum expected for this season. If we had a better manager, we would be top of the league by now.

Pesadilla clearly said if we fail to win the league this year, it will be followed by PT football and crowds will drift down to 1200-1500 level. :lol: The difference is that not everyone is as depressed as f**k about their club as Airdrie fans are about theirs.

Dunfermline are fan owned, so if the fans don't turn up, we will die. We have supporters who contribute money per month to the club and if we don't go up, that funding will still continue. In addition, we have a core support of 2500 fans. There's no reason for us to go part time.

Please quote where I said that you'd half your attendance in a season. I specifically said "drift down", which infers a gradual process.

Interesting that you believe you can stay full time next season, should you fail in this. Seems contrary to what was being posted at the start of this season by the majority of Dunfy fans.

2010-11 3624

11-12 4799

12-13 3849

13-14 3419

The stats for last season are most likely a bit misleading due to Sevco bringing a couple of near full houses. Our core support probably hasn't changed much but we don't have decent away supports swelling the figures like previously.

Anyway Airdrie are utter w**k.

How long will it take for this gradual process to occur for us to reach Airdrie United/Airdrieonians level of failure? Be specific please.

As per my earlier post, #17, I personally don't believe you'll never sink to our levels.

Tell me, is English your first language?

I fail to see your point? Unless you are giving evidence to back up my claims. Dunfermline have fallen from 4799 to 2650 as expected from relegation. Continued failure and failure to gain promotion from this division will see crowds drop further and further (relative to the size of the clubs support).

It's there in black and white for you. Only need to look at the gaps in the stands to see that crowds are slowly dwindling. The lifeline support fans pay each month is aptly named though. A few bumper crowds last year and fundraising money have allowed us to keep the squad we have but no promotion this year and we'll be on a more even playing field than the 'diddies' in terms of player budget.

We were down in the bottom tier playing in front of a few hundred folk on my first games at East End. I'm quite aware how perilous things can be if we get stuck in this league for a while. It's probably why I've been anti-Jefferies. Hoping things will eventually turn out right when he has got it wrong so often seems like a big gamble.

Our crowds haven't dropped this season btw.

Compared with the 1st home game last year vs the same teams we are up by an average of 145, they would drop next year if we are still here , but we have a while before we drop bellow 2000, typically seen as the PT/FT line, tho clubs do run ft squads bellow that.

This season

Brechin 2875

Airdrie 2653

Stenny 2671

Forfar 2923

Ayr 2509

Total 13631 avg 2726.2

Last season

Brechin 2569

Airdrie 2607

Stenny 2517

Forfar 2469

Ayr 2743

Total 12905

avg 2581

I'm not sure whats its worth comparing to seasons in other leagues, the number of away fans differs wildy for a start.

Are you referring to the same Jim Duffy side who have turned you over twice this season now in 6 pointers with a weaker squad? Have Dunfermline even won a game against any of their challengers this season from the top 4 or do they just bottle it in big games every time one comes around as history would show?

I'm referring to the same Jim Duffy side below us in the league, come the end of the season I'm pretty certain that will still be the case, I also reckon our stronger squad than Forfars will help pull us through times of injuries and suspension. Of course if you do think that Dunfermline will fail to win promotion I will chuck in £20 towards a charity bet.

I'd also strongly disagree that we've bottled every big game in our history. I do appreciate you are a fairly new club, and that while the last three years sum up Airdrie to a tee, it isn't quite the same for Dunfermline's rich history(as it shows)

Good job comparing average crowds when playing against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen etc to ones against sides who struggle to reach three figures. I think our home support has held up very well considering our consistent failures over the past few seasons. Inverness, St Johnstone, St Mirren and Hamilton aren't getting a lot more than us and they're all in the top flight.

Not going up this season would definitely hit the crowds though. I'm already having to miss games due to finances as it is. I do think we'll get there in the end but it's going to be a lot closer than it should ever have been. The prospect of a third consecutive play-off nightmare is an awful thought for all Pars fans.

It's there in black and white for you. Only need to look at the gaps in the stands to see that crowds are slowly dwindling. The lifeline support fans pay each month is aptly named though. A few bumper crowds last year and fundraising money have allowed us to keep the squad we have but no promotion this year and we'll be on a more even playing field than the 'diddies' in terms of player budget.

We were down in the bottom tier playing in front of a few hundred folk on my first games at East End. I'm quite aware how perilous things can be if we get stuck in this league for a while. It's probably why I've been anti-Jefferies. Hoping things will eventually turn out right when he has got it wrong so often seems like a big gamble.

Nail on head, it really is vital in terms of our revival for us to go up this season.

Can't see many people paying into a scheme that wasn't getting results. The fans run the club and saved it so we are entitled so have our say.

We're operating at a big loss as it is so if crowds do stay about the same, the board were quite explicit we'd be part time next year if we don't go up. No shame in that but with a big old stadium to run the playing budget might not be great.

You can make of the average crowd stats what you want. The average over the Masterton era was probably 2.5x the current figure and we got into 12mil debt so crowd sizes in isolation don't tell you much. We do know for sure that we can't expect to keep the same quality of squad (ahem!) next year with the current crowds (decent though they are by League 1 standards).

I fancy us to scrap to one of our messy, high scoring wins on Saturday. The Moff will be celebrating becoming a dad, Smith is finally at full fitness, Stirling looks good at last, we're still sloppy at the back. Airdrie 3 5 Pars.

Agree with the above prediction. This would be as good a time as any for Moffat to finally score and hopefully we'll see a bit more of Chemin too. Therefore I predict the two of them to be scorers in a 5-3 away win.

I'm referring to the same Jim Duffy side below us in the league, come the end of the season I'm pretty certain that will still be the case, I also reckon our stronger squad than Forfars will help pull us through times of injuries and suspension. Of course if you do think that Dunfermline will fail to win promotion I will chuck in £20 towards a charity bet.

I'd also strongly disagree that we've bottled every big game in our history. I do appreciate you are a fairly new club, and that while the last three years sum up Airdrie to a tee, it isn't quite the same for Dunfermline's rich history(as it shows)

John Martins Willy giving it a red dot because he's a fucking peasent and can't afford a 20 pound charity bet, what an absolute minter :lol:

Archived