Why Holyrood School Coach Refereeing a U16 Sco Cup Tie

Bestsinceslicebread

I recently went to watch my son play for his School, Lenzie Academy, in an Under 16 Scottish Cup replayed Tie against favourites, Holyrood.
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not a biased person and if a team are cheated out of something by decisions made, then I would make a comment, even if it was a team I was involved with.

My son who is a well know player in the Cumbernauld league as former captain of the successful Rossvale 99 team, decided to give up football to concentrate on his exams at the start of the season. Obviously for me it was a bit of a shock and disappointing but I backed him 100%.
Recently he decided to rejoin the school team from last year and his first tie was against Holyrood in the Scottish Cup. The first tie finished 10 minutes early by the referee with Holyrood winning 3.2. So all I know was that the tie was to be replayed I don't know what happened but it sounds confusing.

For the replayed tie, I turned up late at the tie. The game was at Toryglen with Holyrood, 2.0 up after half an hour. After 10 minutes of watching the game I was impressed with the referee, with every decision he shouted the reason why Lenzie were fouling. This made every spectator know the reason but the problem then ensued that every time a holyrood played fouled in the same way, the referee waved play on. So there was no mistaking what was going on.
Well this continued for the whole of the second half but there were a couple of decisions that he gave to Lenzie which Holyrood should have got and visa versa but the rest of the decisions he was giving them against Lenzie.

Well the worst decision of the Match happened when the ball was in the Lenzie area in injury time. The lenzie center/half cleared the ball and every player was in the Lenzie half, with referee on the edge of the Penalty box and as the ball cleared it went over the half way line and the lenzie player, who was a speed merchant, ran and caught the ball, (the boy had ran from 5 yards inside his own area). The referee who could not see the line for players and his height, blew for offside.

It was one of the most shocking decisions I have ever witnessed and I believed the whistle was blown purely for the referee to make sure Holyrood went through. Every one of the supporters from the Holyrood section laughed as they knew what the referee had done.

Before this incident, during the second half I met the former Under 16 'Jimmy Johnstone coach' and said to him that the referee was a shocker and it was he who then told me that the referee was a Holyrood teacher and part of the team.

It is certainly not the case of sour grapes here. People who know me know I aint biased. Even when a decision went for Rossvale and both Manager and coach agreed, I would stand my ground with both of them and tell them it was wrong.

About the actual game, it was enjoyable, I personally think Holyrood looked the more composed and technical than Lenzie but as chances went, Lenzie had a few chances at the end that should have either tied or won the tie. Even whoever is beaten, it should be used it as a learning curve to make them feel they don't want to go through that again. But for the boys its sour grapes as it was the referee who won the tie for Holyrood

I think in todays age why do the Schools league allow this to happen. I know the referee didn't turn up and there was no reason why that another referee should have been notified to take the game instead of leaving it with the Coaches to decide.

What's everyone's thoughts on coaches refereeing ties, especially Scottish Cup ties.

Personally I think once it gets to Under 13, a referee should be appointed and emergency contact referee just incase.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the referee in the first game blew for full-time on 80 minutes? And the referee in the second game belonged to one of the teams?

I wasn't at the first game but that's what my son said when he got home after the match and he said it might be replayed.

it's was an official referee for the first match, so it was his mistake who finished the game, 10 minutes early.

But I heard on the day of the replayed tie, that's there was quite a few reasons; Lenzi were late getting to game, the time ran out so the let then belonged to the next team to go on, The ref whistled to early by mistake.

So I'm not sure, but match had to be replayed

I think the more important thing here is that your son bottled it until they got somewhere and looked like getting some glory and then he went crawling back.

Shocking behaviour, feel for the lad that lost his place so some glory hunter could hog the limelight. Right result in the circumstances.

.....and EVERY game I played at school level was reffed by someone from one of the teams involved.

I think the more important thing here is that your son bottled it until they got somewhere and looked like getting some glory and then he went crawling back.

Shocking behaviour, feel for the lad that lost his place so some glory hunter could hog the limelight. Right result in the circumstances.

.....and EVERY game I played at school level was reffed by someone from one of the teams involved.

OMG sound like n adult calling a 15 year old boy names, lol hides his names to protect himself.

I was there to watch my son and the result and refereeing decisions, I think, would have been the same if he was playing or not.

Your obviously blinkered by some hatred here about this post

The post is it is about school coaches refereeing a match when it should be a local referee, especially it today's age.

Pmsl

You say:

Shocking behaviour, feel for the lad that lost his place so some glory hunter could hog the limelight

He wasn't playing with the School at the start of the season. It was the school teacher who asked him to join this year as they wee short of players. No player lost a position as all players are all given a shot on the park

On both ties, Lenzie only had 3 subs. Lenzie Academy team didn't get anywhere and haven't had any glory. Do I even need to say anything more, not really as you have came across as a dishonest, disrespectful person who makes comments when he actually doesn't have a clue about the facts. I've deliberately not reported your comments so it an be shown so people know the type of person you are, loll

pmsl I'm unsure by the other comment above, I take it, looking at the sentence that you have just left school and are still hurting from bad referring or did you get pumped real hard by either Lenzie Academy or Rossvale. Also why did your teacher not ref a match himself and let every other coach from the opposing team ref ?. Did he have his own views of you as a player and thought there was no point in trying to help

Honestly I really enjoyed your comments, mind, don't reply too harshly so that you get reported or make you out a bigger fool that you already have shown, pmsl

Hated getting ref'd by a teacher, they'd always end up being more biased towards the other team

I think your right, especially matches that will be very close/tight ties.

I do admit it would be hard for any teacher to be totally biased if he was refereeing a match involving his own team.

That's why the Schools league should get it sorted and make sure local unbiased referee's take charge of these type of matches

OMG sound like n adult calling a 15 year old boy names, lol hides his names to protect himself.

I was there to watch my son and the result and refereeing decisions, I think, would have been the same if he was playing or not.

Your obviously blinkered by some hatred here about this post

The post is it is about school coaches refereeing a match when it should be a local referee, especially it today's age.

Pmsl

You say:

Shocking behaviour, feel for the lad that lost his place so some glory hunter could hog the limelight

He wasn't playing with the School at the start of the season. It was the school teacher who asked him to join this year as they wee short of players. No player lost a position as all players are all given a shot on the park

On both ties, Lenzie only had 3 subs. Do I even need to say anything more, not really as you have came across as a dishonest, disrespectful person who makes comments when he actually doesn't have a clue about the facts. I've deliberately not reported your comments so it an be shown so people know the type of person you are, loll

pmsl I'm unsure by the other comment above, I take it, looking at the sentence that you have just left school and are still hurting from bad referring or did you get pumped real hard by either Lenzie Academy or Rossvale. Also why did your teacher not ref a match himself and let every other coach from the opposing team ref ?. Did he have his own views of you as a player and thought there was no point in trying to help

Honestly I really enjoyed your comments, mind, don't reply too harshly so that you get reported or make you out a bigger fool that you already have shown, pmsl

Have you really pished yourself?

I recently went to watch my son play for his School, Lenzie Academy, in an Under 16 Scottish Cup replayed Tie against favourites, Holyrood.

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not a biased person and if a team are cheated out of something by decisions made, then I would make a comment, even if it was a team I was involved with.

My son who is a well know player in the Cumbernauld league as former captain of the successful Rossvale 99 team, decided to give up football to concentrate on his exams at the start of the season. Obviously for me it was a bit of a shock and disappointing but I backed him 100%.

Recently he decided to rejoin the school team from last year and his first tie was against Holyrood in the Scottish Cup. The first tie finished 10 minutes early by the referee with Holyrood winning 3.2. So all I know was that the tie was to be replayed I don't know what happened but it sounds confusing.

For the replayed tie, I turned up late at the tie. The game was at Toryglen with Holyrood, 2.0 up after half an hour. After 10 minutes of watching the game I was impressed with the referee, with every decision he shouted the reason why Lenzie were fouling. This made every spectator know the reason but the problem then ensued that every time a holyrood played fouled in the same way, the referee waved play on. So there was no mistaking what was going on.

Well this continued for the whole of the second half but there were a couple of decisions that he gave to Lenzie which Holyrood should have got and visa versa but the rest of the decisions he was giving them against Lenzie.

Well the worst decision of the Match happened when the ball was in the Lenzie area in injury time. The lenzie center/half cleared the ball and every player was in the Lenzie half, with referee on the edge of the Penalty box and as the ball cleared it went over the half way line and the lenzie player, who was a speed merchant, ran and caught the ball, (the boy had ran from 5 yards inside his own area). The referee who could not see the line for players and his height, blew for offside.

It was one of the most shocking decisions I have ever witnessed and I believed the whistle was blown purely for the referee to make sure Holyrood went through. Every one of the supporters from the Holyrood section laughed as they knew what the referee had done.

Before this incident, during the second half I met the former Under 16 'Jimmy Johnstone coach' and said to him that the referee was a shocker and it was he who then told me that the referee was a Holyrood teacher and part of the team.

It is certainly not the case of sour grapes here. People who know me know I aint biased. Even when a decision went for Rossvale and both Manager and coach agreed, I would stand my ground with both of them and tell them it was wrong.

About the actual game, it was enjoyable, I personally think Holyrood looked the more composed and technical than Lenzie but as chances went, Lenzie had a few chances at the end that should have either tied or won the tie. Even whoever is beaten, it should be used it as a learning curve to make them feel they don't want to go through that again. But for the boys its sour grapes as it was the referee who won the tie for Holyrood

I think in todays age why do the Schools league allow this to happen. I know the referee didn't turn up and there was no reason why that another referee should have been notified to take the game instead of leaving it with the Coaches to decide.

What's everyone's thoughts on coaches refereeing ties, especially Scottish Cup ties.

Personally I think once it gets to Under 13, a referee should be appointed and emergency contact referee just incase.

oh I like stories do you plan on expanding it into a long book or are you just doing a short one

f**k me, someone had a breakdown last night.

I can only assume that the arse spanking handed out to Mr SliceBread Junior had a greater impact than we first thought.

Shocked and disappointing? Your son sounds more mature than you....

Really? Did this really happen?

Did you know you don't get paid for doing school games? I actually knew referees who did loads of them, and I could never really understand it.

If you are doing it for altruism fine, but I'd be making that clear at the start, and if I think there's too much stick, I'd just go home. Spending my own time helping someone else and getting abuse for it? Haha, no thanks.

f**k me, someone had a breakdown last night.

I can only assume that the arse spanking handed out to Mr SliceBread Junior had a greater impact than we first thought.

lol, now now 'drs', calm down, your now resorting to swearing and arse spanking in relation to under 16 boys football.

Is that not illegal? or do they allow these sort of subjects in youth football to made public so your own fetish can be shown.

I'm wondering why pieadbovril allow people like him to case forums, maybe over 18 forum is best for him, lol

Shocked and disappointing? Your son sounds more mature than you....

( he worked hard at the start of pre-season and then got injured and as season started he then decided to stop, I was shocked as he didn't show any inkling that this was going to happen and as part of me was disappointed as I enjoy watching my son during a football match, so I went with his wishes 100%. So I'm unsure how that makes me immature)

Really? Did this really happen? (Yip the section of Holyrood supporters where I was standing laughed and clapped the refs decision, including the former 'jimmy Johnston coach' laughed)

Did you know you don't get paid for doing school games? I actually knew referees who did loads of them, and I could never really understand it.

(I think it's up to the schools to decide if they want to pay for a ref. am unsure however what he Schools Scottish Cup allow). (The following week, Lenzie played a league match and it was a ref who as paid by both schools). it's interesting to know what standards are. Do most Schools use their own Coaches to decide who referee's the match. I would like to know, that why I originally posted the post

If you are doing it for altruism fine, but I'd be making that clear at the start, and if I think there's too much stick, I'd just go home. Spending my own time helping someone else and getting abuse for it? Haha, no thanks.

Well, no, the rule I was always aware of was that referees were never paid for school games - pretty much regardless of the circumstances.

It's not as if there is a shortage of paid games available, which is why choosing to do this always struck me as strange.

Also laughing and clapping? You're a bit paranoid I think - unless you think the referee told the parents beforehand exactly what he was going to do. Which is unlikely.

In my, limited experience, of coaches / teachers refereeing is that they are significantly more likely to favour the other team rather than their own. Also the fact they are not referees means they are far more likely to get things wrong - even things that appear simple to the all knowing fans on the sidelines. Refereeing is a job, the more you do it, the more formal training you have, the better you are at it. So give Joe Bloggs a whistle and he'll be rubbish - obviously. It's not necessarily because he's cheating.

If you were that bothered you should have volunteered yourself.

lol, now now 'drs', calm down, your now resorting to swearing and arse spanking in relation to under 16 boys football.

Is that not illegal? or do they allow these sort of subjects in youth football to made public so your own fetish can be shown.

I'm wondering why pieadbovril allow people like him to case forums, maybe over 18 forum is best for him, lol

I'm wondering why your carer allows unsupervised access to the internet, pip pip.

Archived