Terrors v Sheep, Saturday 13 December 2014

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the Ross County-Dundee United game. United were impressive on the counter attack, much like day one of the season. Armstrong, Erskine, Ciftci and Butcher all looked good. Some of the link-up play was great.

However, United's defence collapsed at the end. I don't rate Yoann Arquin at all yet he could have scored a hat-trick in the last 15 mins.

Be interesting to see if David Goodwillie plays, and if so how he plays. He's shown flashes this season of being a good player but hasn't shown much consistency.

Looking at it as a neutral I'd give the edge to United as Aberdeen still look weak at the back. A clean sheet at home to a Hamilton side that rarely threatened and people think we're solid again. Against Dundee they lost two cheap goals, the same with Celtic.

They can hold it together against the weaker sides in the division, but against the better ones they get shown up.

Ciftci was constantly playing on the shoulder of the defender against County. Usually you'd fancy Reynolds on that situation with his pace but for some reason it's not happening for him this season and he's cost us goals recently.

If Barry Robson is fit I'd be tempted to bring him in to sit deep and track Chris Erskine. Though I think Cammy Smith has played well recently when given a chance and would like to see him feature at some point.

All that said though, the player with the better form out of both starting elevens this season has been Jonny Hayes. Been absolutely terrific.

My team:

Brown

Logan Taylor Reynolds Considine

Jack Robson Hayes

McGinn Pawlett

Rooney

Erskine > Hayes

Chris Erskine has been a revelation this season. I had written him off (and I don't think I was alone) but have to give the guy enormous credit for coming back from his loan spell with such a positive attitude. I can't think of a bad game he's had this season, even when things aren't coming off he still keeps trying, he's not one of these players that hides.

Deserved MOTM on Friday, it's a pity he was subbed.

I haven't seen much of Erskine but he was a player I'd have liked us to sign when he was at Thistle, some of the goals he scored in his last season there were sublime, albeit against weaker opposition. Last season he seemed to play poorly and it didn't pick up all that much at Partick?

This season he's scoring again, but he lacks the pace and energy of Hayes. Erskine has a touch of the Berbatovs about him, quite languid but technically very good. Hayes is more versatile though and has proven himself at the top level for longer. I'd rather have him in my team.

I'd rather have Hayes too, but Erskine has been in better form. I was only stating "Erskine > Hayes" in regards to the post from the geezer above.

I dunno about that, Erskine has been scoring the goals but Hayes has been playing deeper and has been a stand out in the last couple of games I've seen. Arguably a swap* would be good as Erskine seems to be putting away the chances and we've been missing them, whereas Hayes works better defensively and Utd seem to be a little leaky.

*temporary of course, you're not keeping him!

He had an average first season for us but last season and especially this season Hayes has been excellent.

By far and away our star man this season.

Watched the Ross County-Dundee United game. United were impressive on the counter attack, much like day one of the season. Armstrong, Erskine, Ciftci and Butcher all looked good. Some of the link-up play was great.

However, United's defence collapsed at the end. I don't rate Yoann Arquin at all yet he could have scored a hat-trick in the last 15 mins.

Be interesting to see if David Goodwillie plays, and if so how he plays. He's shown flashes this season of being a good player but hasn't shown much consistency.

Looking at it as a neutral I'd give the edge to United as Aberdeen still look weak at the back. A clean sheet at home to a Hamilton side that rarely threatened and people think we're solid again. Against Dundee they lost two cheap goals, the same with Celtic.

They can hold it together against the weaker sides in the division, but against the better ones they get shown up.

Ciftci was constantly playing on the shoulder of the defender against County. Usually you'd fancy Reynolds on that situation with his pace but for some reason it's not happening for him this season and he's cost us goals recently.

If Barry Robson is fit I'd be tempted to bring him in to sit deep and track Chris Erskine. Though I think Cammy Smith has played well recently when given a chance and would like to see him feature at some point.

All that said though, the player with the better form out of both starting elevens this season has been Jonny Hayes. Been absolutely terrific.

My team:

Brown

Logan Taylor Reynolds Considine

Jack Robson Hayes

McGinn Pawlett

Rooney

I'd keep Robson out. He loves a yellow and I could see him getting booked within the first 15min and then being sent off. I'd be amazed if he played and tracked anyone. His role with us has been to receive and retain the ball, which he does well until he tires and the game begins to bypass him. Can't afford passengers against Utd.

I can only see him being of use to come on in the last 20min if we are leading to get stuck in and also keep the ball. Flood, obviously, would be the man to sit and track opposition players but as he is out Jack should have that role. As long as Jack can keep the heid and avoid any daft confrontations he has the ability to track someone, win the ball, use the ball and control the tempo of the game from start to finish.

With Hayes' work rate and relatively good defensive ability he could also do that role, with someone to sit in if he goes on a mazy run. I'd prefer him to be used further forward though. Problem is he's shown with his work rate and ability that he can be effective all over the park, but I like to think Dek would avoid placing the 'utility' tag on him.

Absolutely. Even when he's had a quieter game you will still see him chasing every ball until the very end.

When he went off in tears at the cup final you could see how much it meant to him. Stark contrast to some of the charlatans we've had playing for us over the years.

I expected a link to a Stephen Hughes Aberdeen montage at the end of that post. I am, however, glad there is not one.........

Jesus, I had just about managed to block Stephen Hughes' exsistence from my mind until he was mentioned.

Had to look him up, currently without a Club I see.

He was just not interested in Football when he was with us.

Hayes is one of the players I would have in my Premiership best eleven and someone who I would have been really keen for us to have went for a couple of seasons ago when he left Inverness. A hard working winger who can defend as well as go forward is something every team would love to have.

Hopefully the game will live up to the high expectations we all have about this fixture.

Archived