Queen's Park v East Stirlingshire

If we keep doing what we've been doing, it should be a win. However, there's no such thing as a dead cert three points in this league. Shire have had a few good results recently and we'll need to play well to get a result. Looking forward to it.

Injuries? defense could be thin in that area,mcgregor gallacher injured,we have been coping without berry in midfield,so time for others on the bench to earn a place.

We will have to manage, and we certainly have enough on the park to earn 3 points,have to work hard ,early goal for a boost and 1 or two more to finish,may concede one but hopefully win on the day.

Still enjoying the fact that we have 11 players who play as a team and play for each other.

We still make daft mistakes and wrong choices, but Hey I do that every day.

The table doesn't lie, and 2nd top at this stage is just wonderful.

Guess all the guys deserve a pat on the back, not least the gaffer !!

It looks like the "trapdoor" is a long way off, so let's collectively start looking up at the play offs as being realistic.

Good solid performance all round. Final score if anything flattered Shire a wee bit. McVey stepped back in like he had never been away. All goals were terrific for different reasons but Carter's was best for the teamwork and sharp movement from the striker. Well deserved win. With a full squad back we should hit the back half of the season running. Play-offs a certainty for me but need a bit more consistency to be champions. Just happy to be where we are at this stage.

A good hard-working team with the occasional flash of genuine quality - and at least 3 'first picks' still to come back in. Pretty rosy stuff.

At the start of the season Guus said he wanted to be there or thereabouts come the end of the year and then hopefully get a lift when we go back to Hampden. The plan's going well so far.

thoughts guys have the team exceeded you expectations, and did you believe gus when he said he expected to be on the rivht end of table, shows how hard these boys work when we have a couple of good players out,sometimes the fans do not notice the actual tactical positioning of players and while we cannot always see nice football we see each player doing their bit, our more attacking players that get back and defend, would hope we see no more injuries within the the main team as only takes one or two missing links to see a different outcome on results, i think gus and his helpers played a blinder picking up these players,no big time charlies who work hard and they are a credit to themselves and their previous clubs, never feel nervy at these games, as feel if they all team up keep mistakes to minimum and be consious of each others abilities we can keep plugging away at our standing,no real pressure to win the league but got a feeling they want to try,they have shown the can beat any team and albion will not be so happy next game, team will make it their mission to beat them, and hope they do.

thoughts guys have the team exceeded you expectations, and did you believe gus when he said he expected to be on the rivht end of table, shows how hard these boys work when we have a couple of good players out,sometimes the fans do not notice the actual tactical positioning of players and while we cannot always see nice football we see each player doing their bit, our more attacking players that get back and defend, would hope we see no more injuries within the the main team as only takes one or two missing links to see a different outcome on results, i think gus and his helpers played a blinder picking up these players,no big time charlies who work hard and they are a credit to themselves and their previous clubs, never feel nervy at these games, as feel if they all team up keep mistakes to minimum and be consious of each others abilities we can keep plugging away at our standing,no real pressure to win the league but got a feeling they want to try,they have shown the can beat any team and albion will not be so happy next game, team will make it their mission to beat them, and hope they do.

Fair to say I didn't have any expectations at the start of the season as I hadn't a clue who any of these boys were. Phenomenal success so far and well beyond my hopes. Like most posters I'm coming to games each week expecting good things to happen and they mostly do. Muir, Berry and Wharton have all been standouts consistently and could well do more at a higher level. Miller has exceptional talent but needs to check his temper to move up in the game. But the most enjoyable player at the moment is Rooney. What a pace that lad has developed at and he's the right age for a top team to snap him up and make a tidy profit in a year or two. Given our recent young heroes following the worn path to Tannadice it would be irony of the highest order if he were to end up back there. Dare we hope for two QP starlets in the Navy Blue soon?

McPherson has done a great job so far and you can't argue it's his team and his players. However, I'm in no doubt this is a bridge for Gus to get back to the top league and wonder where the club will be when he moves on. The youth set-up has been compromised big style, certainly in comparison to the last five years, and if his Junior Wonders follow their leader we might find ourselves in a hole again. Still, it's been a while since we felt the warmth on our backs so I'll settle for happy Saturdays and let the Committee worry about the future.

excellent post FF and succinctly addresses my own concerns about what happens after Gus (deservedly) moves onto greater things - if it happens this season then the "compromising" of the youth conveyor belt has only been short term and could quickly recover, but the longer the emphasis (no rights or wrongs here) is placed on recruiting from the Junior ranks, the more that might influence the commitee's choice of a successor.................but for now let's just enjoy what we have and worry about future change as and when it happens!

Jings. Way to make a crisis out of a non-drama.

Not really. The development side is critically important to the club. The on-sale of Andy Robertson will net the club £300k. Blair Spittal and Aidan Connolly are playing first team regularly at Tannadice and Lawrence Shankland is breaking into the Aberdeen team. All three are still teenagers and ripe for a fast development and sell-on. It's not unimaginable that the club could gather a million pound over the next two years for the four of these young men. Don't see any other clubs at our level with that kind of potential.

It's therefore equally as critically important that QPFC first eleven stays in senior football. I'd be very surprised if the club could sustain the excellent community/youth network if we were in the Lowland league. Apart from the costs, it must be of great interest to parents deciding where to let their talented son play when they see our history of football development coupled with recent successes, as above, and compare that to the long-established pattern of boys being hoovered up by the OF with little or no prospect of first team football.

Gus has got the mix perfect at the moment. He's not lumbered with the soft-touch development mindset (classic SFA training) that Speirs had - you only have to watch his rants during a game - and that's why he's getting so much from his current squad. He's a winner and any notion that he'll settle for the play-offs is nonsense, he's going for the flag. He clearly believes the development team should be used to develop players at a steady pace and introductions made to the first team over a season. The best example of that is Shaun Rooney, a gangling, galloping strip of a boy loaded with enthusiasm and some skill but not sure of where to be. Spends a year in the Strollers and comes back looking like a veteran. It's all about the timing and that's the risk we have; if Gus goes too soon.

Can’t praise all the coaches and players enough for how the season is going. All we asked for was to be competitive again and to get a bit of respectability back. They’re currently far exceeding that. I thought Gus played a blinder last season after he took over in more or less writing off the remaining results to solely concentrate on assessing the squad he inherited and deciding who he wanted to keep and where we needed to strengthen.

Saturday was an impressive win and peformance considering yet again our defence was hit with an injury and we had to play Slattery as a makeshift left back. Nothing seems to faze these lads at the moment. Happy days for now

Re our youth system. I’m not worried about that at all, the youths are doing fine, and are in great shape under Davie McCallum. If they are better than what we’ve already got in the first team then they’ll get their chance, that’s always been the case. Anyone remember the days when we didn’t have a youth system? We coped OK most seasons. I’m glad that we’ve gone back to recruiting decent players from other ranks who have a bit of “character” about them.

Yes. Really. We've gone from a good home win to Guus ditching us for a better gig (possibly in Holland), to taking half the team with him, to us being relegated because of a perceived problem with the youth system. I'd say that was a touch dramatic.

Maybe you could create your own debate then rather than just criticising others. Would be really nice to have more QP fans offer a genuine opinion. As much as I pity Clyde fans for their obsessive self-interest I do admire their collective passion for their team and willingness to challenge each other's views, but giving and taking in the same measure.

Word of advice if I may. Slow down a bit and read what's written.

Actually, not others.

Archived