The Dumbarton Terrace - Scottish football's 50 greatest moments of

Lets try to work it out.

Our semi final win must still be to come.

Dundee Utd beating Rangers?

The United-Sevco game was a fantastic laugh for everyone apart from Sevco and the SFA and Nadir Ciftci's hilarious goal courtesy of Simonsen and his mini-celebration before he scored in particular should have made the list imo. However it doesn't deserve to be higher than Saints going onto actually winning the cup and their first ever major trophy, or Aberdeen ending their recent trophy doubt so I'd hope it doesn't appear now. It'll be piss poor if Rangers going unbeaten in League 1 or even Celtic winning the Premiership are still set to come on this list.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be piss poor if Rangers going unbeaten in League 1 or even Celtic winning the Premiership are still set to come on this list.

Both have already featured.

Doubt we'll see our emphatic victory against Hearts at Tynecastle to secure safety, but it would've topped my list.

Both have already featured.

Doubt we'll see our emphatic victory against Hearts at Tynecastle to secure safety, but it would've topped my list.

My bad, not sure how I forgot that as the I definitely remember reading about Oxley's goal in that entry.

Well written, and fair play for delivering in a way which creates suspense...

But did you write them all out then allocate a position in the rankings by drawing them out a hat??

Saints Cup win, a first trophy in 130 years, in one of the best cup finals in years, with one of the winners having the exact date of the game on his shirt name and number.. Or knocking lucern out of Europe, a club with over 10 times the budget when scottish clubs traditionally get humped at the first hurdle in Europe.. Both were surpassed by Stirling Albion beating east fife in the play offs ??!! Or Cowdenbeath staying up??!! Are you doing it deliberately to create interest by any chance??

The Stevie May comeback Cup semi-final win has to be up there, surely...

I'm not biased though.

Well written, and fair play for delivering in a way which creates suspense...

But did you write them all out then allocate a position in the rankings by drawing them out a hat??

Saints Cup win, a first trophy in 130 years, in one of the best cup finals in years, with one of the winners having the exact date of the game on his shirt name and number.. Or knocking lucern out of Europe, a club with over 10 times the budget when scottish clubs traditionally get humped at the first hurdle in Europe.. Both were surpassed by Stirling Albion beating east fife in the play offs ??!! Or Cowdenbeath staying up??!! Are you doing it deliberately to create interest by any chance??

The Stevie May comeback Cup semi-final win has to be up there, surely...

I'm not biased though.

Thanks for the feedback (and everyone else for theirs).

This has been the first time doing something like this, and mistakes are made to be learned from. On reflection, the Scottish Cup final SHOULD have had a higher ranking, and that's been taken into account.

What I stand by 100 per cent is that achievements like Cowdenbeath surviving the way they did, or Stirling rescuing their promotion push with 15 minutes left of the season, or Alloa's great escape (today's instalment) deserve to be recognised on a high scale. It wasn't just what those teams did, it was how they did it. They may not mean so much to as many fans, but they're the kind of moments you go to football every week hoping for (as was the cup final).

Thanks for reading and hopefully the remaining instalments will be enjoyable.

Sorry but Alloa being saved , not by their own doing but by another club...

That's the key point in that entry for me, too.

Sure, the sense of relief experienced by the Alloa players and fans would have been palpable, but any more so than that of the 1,000+ Thistle fans at Tynecastle that rainy night in May who'd seen their team fall behind twice?

Add to that one of the goals of the season and the stadium-wide "down with the Hibees" sing song and you have a truly memorable night.

Agreed with the other comments: this is a great idea, but flawed (and surely not just from a Saints fans' perspective) by bizarre rankings: our inaugural Scottish Cup win ranked below lower league play off wins, Cowden staying up or, most strangely, Raith winning the Ramsden's. These were neither significant in Scottish football, nor were they individually great performances (Cowden's second-leg game aside).

I'd think Saints' victory over Lucerne and our Scottish Cup semi final against Aberdeen will be there (but even then, ranked higher than our Cup win?). I'd also argue that Aberdeen's LC semi win over us was a 'greater' result than their eventual triumph in a drab final : the Tynecastle semi was stunning for the atmosphere and the Aberdeen performance.

Still, well-written and I'll be keeping an eye out for next year's.

Some of the suggestions and the placing are definitely a bit dodgy but cheers for all the pieces. Thoroughly enjoyed reading them and it helped the monotonous cycle of studying. This kind of stuff is never going to please all but I'm glad it does so thanks.

I've enjoyed following this series. The only mistake the writer has written, in my opinion, is that he has ranked them rather than declaring it as "50 memories of 2014" in which case the order doesn't really matter.

There is also a lot of focus on the lower leagues which is refreshing to see rather than it being dominated by one or two clubs.

There is also a lot of focus on the lower leagues which is refreshing to see rather than it being dominated by one or two clubs.

Have been thinking something similar. Those running and commenting on 'Scottish football' whilst only meaning the bigot brothers should be reading some of this to understand that the passion of a fan for their club and the game in general is as great at the bottom as it is at the top. They are as much part of Scottish football as anyone else. There just happens to be fewer of them.

Archived