Celtic's Resources

Wondering why Celtic (and before their death and pitiful staggering rebirth, The Rangers) have never decided to plow some resources into competitors in order to increase the overall strength of Scottish football and make it more of the challenge they seek.

I don't know what kind of resources Celtic have free to splash out on such a thing, but it needn't just be financial. For example why not loan out some of their strongest youth and reserve players to Premiership rivals (also allowing them to line-up against Celtic themselves), increasing the depth of these squads who are often severely handicapped by one or two injuries which ruin any chance they had of challenging for the title midway through the season.

Instead of just marketing their own club around the world why not market the league itself? Increasing the global presence of teams like Aberdeen, Dundee United and Hearts and potentially boosting their revenue.

It seems like there are a lot of simple, quick, easy solutions to addressing the gulf in quality Celtic are so quick to complain about here in Scotland.

And I'm wondering why they don't take any of these steps.

Wondering why Celtic (and before their death and pitiful staggering rebirth, The Rangers) have never decided to plow some resources into competitors in order to increase the overall strength of Scottish football and make it more of the challenge they seek.

I don't know what kind of resources Celtic have free to splash out on such a thing, but it needn't just be financial. For example why not loan out some of their strongest youth and reserve players to Premiership rivals (also allowing them to line-up against Celtic themselves), increasing the depth of these squads who are often severely handicapped by one or two injuries which ruin any chance they had of challenging for the title midway through the season.

Instead of just marketing their own club around the world why not market the league itself? Increasing the global presence of teams like Aberdeen, Dundee United and Hearts and potentially boosting their revenue.

It seems like there are a lot of simple, quick, easy solutions to addressing the gulf in quality Celtic are so quick to complain about here in Scotland.

And I'm wondering why they don't take any of these steps.

We have loaned out many of our reserve players over the years.

As for the rest, it's just nonsense

We have loaned out many of our reserve players over the years.

To Premiership rivals?

And allowed them to play against Celtic?

Way I was thinking of would be like loaning Dundee United 3 or 4 strong reserve players, which would likely allowed them to keep up a challenge to the end of the year even with injuries and fatigue.

Also what's nonsense about the rest?

Yes, to premiership teams, the rules won't allow loan players to play against their parent clubs

Right, thought that was just an agreement between the clubs upon loaning a player.

But have you loaned 3 or 4 to a team like Dundee United or ICT?

You could still do it come January, it's around this time they'll suffer injuries and drops in form and could use that depth to push on.

Why would Celtic risk losing a dig at the money spinning Champions League every year?

Because 7/10 years they don't make it anyway.

They want competition, there's stuff they can do to increase the level of competition they face every week.

You're only allowed to loan 2 to the same club IIRC.

Hmm.

2 would still be a start, I suppose.

They could loan, say, 2 players to the teams capable of challenging them.

If Rangers ever get back on their feet (lololol) they could do the same as well.

That would be roughly 4 each for teams like Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee United.

Also it stops these talented young Scottish stars wasting away on the OF benches like they generally did, this way they'll be playng at same level and getting regular football.

How would this, long term, benefit other clubs? You'd just have Celtic loanees getting a game ahead of whatever team's own youth.

No, like I said it gives these squads what they're sorely lacking, depth.

It's happened over and over again, teams push for the title up until around January then fall apart due to an injury or drop in form to one of their stronger players.

Gives them a decent enough replacement when that happens and also for rotation.

Long term it would give them more of a chance to win a title and the financial rewards that go with that. Also ability to attract better players possibly being the team who overthrew OF dominance or at least put up a respectable fight against them.

We all know whenever a player is half decent for a non-OF team they're snapped up by Celtic or an English Championship/League One side anyway. So I don't put much stock in the pushing out non-loan players argument.

So, let me have this right. Celtic, who are currently nursing one of many Man City proteges through first team initiation, are to do more or less the same with their own products, but for the smaller SP clubs??? Why not just rap the loans, send Denayer back to City and Celtic play the inexperienced youth centre half of their own making who may be likely to f**k things up against the said struggling opponents domestically?? Football has reached a peak, wherin its increasingly unlikely that teams outwith the super rich elite will get their mits on the big prizes. Their may be odd exceptions, but these do not apply to Scotland. Having this disadvantage however shouldn't serve as a reason for every single outcome or result to be because of, or to the benefit of one club, which is exactly how this appears to me. Its one thing Sky and BtSport treating Scottish coverage as shooty-in, waiting for the pesky plucky small clubs to take their walloping to keep the cash flowing one way. Quite another to have it as a signature process designed solely for one end.

A few points here:

For various reasons, Celtic are currently nowhere near as far ahead of the rest of the league as they used to be. A post-Christmas slump at Parkhead could well see them going into the end of the season with serious competition for the title.

I've seen little to suggest that any other team in the top tier has any interest in assisting other teams to compete against them. When it comes to pulling up the ladder behind them, all of the biggest Scottish teams are just as enthusiastic about cartel football as Celtic are.

And even if Celtic did as you suggest here, it would almost certainly be seen as patronising in the extreme.

What a bizzare suggestion, yes the gulf between us and the biggest spenders (Aberdeen) is significant (20 million approx?) but considering Athletico managed to win La Liga last season with a 150 mil+ Gulf in playing budgets compared to the big two its not totally out the equation.

What a bizzare suggestion, yes the gulf between us and the biggest spenders (Aberdeen) is significant (20 million approx?) but considering Athletico managed to win La Liga last season with a 150 mil+ Gulf in playing budgets compared to the big two its not totally out the equation.

Yes it it.

Atletico Madrid ran up debts of hundred of millions of Euros (including to the Spanish tax authorities) building the team that won the title. Hearts are a constant reminder of what happens to clubs in this country who try to buy their way into title contention.

Yes it it.

Atletico Madrid ran up debts of hundred of millions of Euros (including to the Spanish tax authorities) building the team that won the title. Hearts are a constant reminder of what happens to clubs in this country who try to buy their way into title contention.

That debt was about 20 years in the making was it not? From about 2010 or so onwards they stuck to within their means and which is when Simeone started really building the the team that won the league.

I don't mean to belittle what Simeone achieved, his hands were certainly tied and his budget was a fraction of Real & Barcelona but the repayment of tax debts is apparently on terms that mean he still had a player wage budget of about Euros65M. Now the other two dwarf that but you could certainly do a lot with that kind of money compared to Aberdeen's £4-5M? player budget if you see what i mean?

Besides, where's our Diego Simeone?

Edit for bad numbers

Archived