Barry Hearn

Probably treading over old ground here,Just watching sky sports news there and listening to what he was saying about the state of our game . He reckons we need to start believing in our game more and re -evaluating and maximising the income stream. He also reckons the alcohol ban in scotland is grossly unfair and reckons that it could help the atmosphere if this wasnt the case. Also he highlighted the fact that numbers on scottish social media sites was poor and added that the clubs need to be doing more in the local area eg going round schools offering tickets etc encouraging more younger fans to get involved - to make the football club the focal point of the region and try build up more loyalty around about the towns etc. Is he right? Or is it really as simple as people wont pay the daft prices for the poor standard of product on offer? Or are just bored of consistently watching the same 9 or 11 teams visit their ground 3 or 4 times a season - would reconstruction make any sort of difference? Can there be better promoting of scottish football than whats been done already? Just wondering what folk think of the current situation.

It's shite. They had the chance to make big changes when Rangers died and bottled it. As usual it was teams looks after themselves instead of looking at the bigger picture.

Doncaster was a disgrace and instead of promoting our game by saying he believed in the product, he scared sponsors away by his Armageddon nonsense. He should have been sacked for that alone. Utterly incompetent.

It's shite. They had the chance to make big changes when Rangers died and bottled it. As usual it was teams looks after themselves instead of looking at the bigger picture.

Doncaster was a disgrace and instead of promoting our game by saying he believed in the product, he scared sponsors away by his Armageddon nonsense. He should have been sacked for that alone. Utterly incompetent.

While Doncaster's behaviour was indeed shameful, he was far from alone. Club chairmen (including ours :angry:), the MSM, and other high heid yins in the governing bodies colluded to attempt to restore the "Old Firm Rivalry" as the jewel in the crown of our game*. Absolutely disgraceful.

Even now we see the fall-out from the craven gerrymandering which allowed an ersatz rangers to take the place which should have gone to an honest club. While the shambles at ibrox continue to whore themselves to anyone with 50p for the meter, Livingston get a points deduction having held their hands up to irregularities. Meanwhile, there are serious concerns that the replacement rangers may not complete the season. Have assurances/bonds been requested from them? There are precedents, after all.

If, indeed, the Govan outfit go down the tubes again, will the same halfwits try to pretend they're some kind of behemoth that the Scottish game cannot survive without? Of course they fucking will, and the media will parrot every brainfart from Hampden as Gospel. The difference this time is that we have seen how many clubs were affected negatively when rangers died. Three, by my count. Both arse cheeks and the decent team (whoever it turned out to be) who should have replaced rangers.

*Interesting that it's SKY giving him a platform - their hyperbolic flogging of the regular bigotfests was some of the most cringeworthy advertising I've ever seen.

He's pretty much spot on but frankly anyone with a bit of sense could see what the situation is like.

The lack of sponsor is disgraceful, and the perception that it's Ranger and Celtic + 40 filler teams damages it especially the Armageddon, who else in the business world would say that their own brand is scunnered.

Print Media is largely the same old succulent lamb types from a decade ago, but the TV coverage definitely needs improving, the difference in Sky's coverage with EPL and Scotland is huge. It doesn't need the production gimmicks but some competent analysis would be super. BT's is really good and the BBC is utterly appalling.

How can just about every sport be treated like adults and be allowed to buy a drink if they so choose. Treating customers like scum is not going to bring people back.

I think In terms of matchday experience, I wouldn't want the constant music, dancing girls and razzle dazzle of the Darts, Snooker and Boxing but it can be definitely improved.

I heard that a big paint company was interested in sponsoring the Challenge Cup but were quoted a price higher than what they're currently paying to sponsor a trophy down south. They regarded the Scottish football authorities as "deluded".

Regan is CEO of the SFA, not SPFL...?

I heard that a big paint company was interested in sponsoring the Challenge Cup but were quoted a price higher than what they're currently paying to sponsor a trophy down south. They regarded the Scottish football authorities as "deluded".

Ramsdens were paying about £200k before Rangers came in. I was at the Falkirk-Hamilton final in 2012 and the prizefund (£186K) was broken-down in the programme... If someone was at QotS-Partick last year or Raith-Rangers and has a programme they may have those figures as Ramsdens apparently renewed with an enhanced deal that Petrofac apparently bettered this season. From what I can find online, Johnstone Paint only seem to pay about £200k for the Football League Trophy. So given Hearts and Hibs had come in this season, too, on top of whatever Rangers had put onto the upgraded Ramsdens deal, maybe it is worth more.

Certainly the JPT prizefund that same year, 2011-12, was only about £450k and it has a much more lucrative deal with Sky.

Broader sentiment is accurate though. Papers have claimed SPFL had offers for the league naming rights but felt they were worth too little. You do have to protect value in the future by not selling too low, but there must also come a time when you accept that your desired price isn't one the market is prepared to pay and reappraise things.

You can you just tell they'll pull a sponsor out the hat next season and the bigot brothers will get the thanks. The c***s have probably been happy not to have one as it backs up their doommongering.

Fucking disgrace they couldn't find a sponsor for our national game for three years.

I think Barry Hearn got a little side-tracked with his points about alcohol - I should point out I'm a pretty heavy boozer who is nonetheless 100% against a rescinding of the matchday drinking ban - but otherwise it's pretty hard to argue against every single point he makes.

Scottish football has been let-down over a number of decades by complete and utter ignorance of the commercial factors which determine whether or not a sport thrives or dies. The TV deal has never recovered from the Setanta implosion, which means that - today - Sky and BT can pick up their rights for less than two bob and a doughnut in the greater scheme of things. They've also came too late to recognising the importance of online rights, and the League's lack of a title sponsor is indeed utterly unforgiveable - I took Hearn's "you'd be sacked if you worked for me" line to be directed squarely at C**kwomble...

A final parting shot: who was the Einstein who came up with plan of playing the 4th round Scottish Cup games in the last week in November? It was the first big weekend of Xmas shopping and also a few days before a lot of folk get paid. Away from the whole season tickets valid for cup games debate, that was just the icing on the cake of a weekend of guaranteed cr*p attendances. Well done, SFA - now take a bow.

As Hearn says, it's probably only going to change if a sporting Svengali like himself has complete and absolute control of all major aspects of the game. Until then, clubs will put self-interest before all, and vote for Christmas like the turkeys they have become.

Have only heard of his comments through the OP but it sounds like he's right about our belief in our game anyway. Hearn may just be a tacky hype man with the sports he's involved in but that's a lot better a tactic than constantly slagging the thing off. Scottish people have to be the most self-defeating, whingy c***s on earth anyway and our league football is the ultimate example. We need to stop beating ourselves up about not being the EPL and get on with it. Bringing in the Championship/League 1/League 2 pish just shows how much our game's governance is at it with the cringing as well.

Barry Hearn is a complete clown who just wants his wee fingers into every piece of sporting pie about, darts, snooker, has a major say in English football with his stake in orient, probably hopes his comment will get him a commanding stake in scottish football so he can use us as guinea pigs for some of his far fetched moronic ideas, Mr Hearn can stay out of our game no matter how messed up and poorly run it currently is

Barry Hearn is a complete clown who just wants his wee fingers into every piece of sporting pie about, darts, snooker, has a major say in English football with his stake in orient, probably hopes his comment will get him a commanding stake in scottish football so he can use us as guinea pigs for some of his far fetched moronic ideas, Mr Hearn can stay out of our game no matter how messed up and poorly run it currently is

Except every one of his "far fetched moronic ideas" were spot on. Still, Scottish football is a well oiled machine. Hearn GTF.

Probably treading over old ground here,Just watching sky sports news there and listening to what he was saying about the state of our game . He reckons we need to start believing in our game more and re -evaluating and maximising the income stream. He also reckons the alcohol ban in scotland is grossly unfair and reckons that it could help the atmosphere if this wasnt the case. Also he highlighted the fact that numbers on scottish social media sites was poor and added that the clubs need to be doing more in the local area eg going round schools offering tickets etc encouraging more younger fans to get involved - to make the football club the focal point of the region and try build up more loyalty around about the towns etc. Is he right? Or is it really as simple as people wont pay the daft prices for the poor standard of product on offer? Or are just bored of consistently watching the same 9 or 11 teams visit their ground 3 or 4 times a season - would reconstruction make any sort of difference? Can there be better promoting of scottish football than whats been done already? Just wondering what folk think of the current situation.

ive only picked up bits and pieces of what he said on news bulletins, but there does seem to be a number of valid points in there

we do need to constantly stop comparing ourselves to the EPL....they are light years ahead of us financially, and can attract most of the top players in the world (does screw up their national team however)

League reconstruction surely has to be put back in as an option. Personally i would like to see us with 2 leagues....top division with maybe 1 teams and a 2nd tier with the rest. This would ensure we only play each other once at home and once away.....this then ensures the big games genuinely are big and we dont have the situation of a team possible playing another team 4 times in the league, once in the Petrofac cup, and also possibly again in the Scottish or League Cups

do we look again at the possibility of summer football....i know a number of people who dont watch games because they can watch an EPL game on the TV for a few pounds every month. Wall to wall coverage of this league surely must have had a major impact on our attendances. perhaps summer football would take away some of these distractions and maybe lead to a better deal from Sky who may be keen to keep showing football in the English close season

as for a league sponsor - that is shambolic....when it became apparent that no-one was going to pay the asking price, we surely needed to accept less....its still more than we currently have (£0.00)

as for alcohol, at Dumbarton we have a supporters bar in the ground, where we can get a pint right up to kick off, and after the full time whistle. Seems a pretty sensible set up, but i dont think id like us to be able to buy pints during the game. The constant people getting up to buy a drink, and trips to the loo would do my head in

I think Barry Hearn got a little side-tracked with his points about alcohol - I should point out I'm a pretty heavy boozer who is nonetheless 100% against a rescinding of the matchday drinking ban - but otherwise it's pretty hard to argue against every single point he makes.

Scottish football has been let-down over a number of decades by complete and utter ignorance of the commercial factors which determine whether or not a sport thrives or dies. The TV deal has never recovered from the Setanta implosion, which means that - today - Sky and BT can pick up their rights for less than two bob and a doughnut in the greater scheme of things. They've also came too late to recognising the importance of online rights, and the League's lack of a title sponsor is indeed utterly unforgiveable - I took Hearn's "you'd be sacked if you worked for me" line to be directed squarely at C**kwomble...

A final parting shot: who was the Einstein who came up with plan of playing the 4th round Scottish Cup games in the last week in November? It was the first big weekend of Xmas shopping and also a few days before a lot of folk get paid. Away from the whole season tickets valid for cup games debate, that was just the icing on the cake of a weekend of guaranteed cr*p attendances. Well done, SFA - now take a bow.

As Hearn says, it's probably only going to change if a sporting Svengali like himself has complete and absolute control of all major aspects of the game. Until then, clubs will put self-interest before all, and vote for Christmas like the turkeys they have become.

My favourite idea is opening the season with two cup competitions. Meaning half the competitors might be out of two cups before the league even starts.

Archived