Barry Hearn

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's right about the falling attendances then there'll be ample space to put those who want a drink.

I don't understand the desperate need for people to drink during a game.

He's spot on about the SPFL bigwig being completely independent from the clubs. A sort of NFL style commissioner.

Anyways, I for one look forward to mascots being replaced by these

walk-on-girls-hazel-osullivan-kelly-done

Neither do I, but some people just can't handle 2 hours on a Saturday without it.

Probably the same people that moan about the zero tolerance on drink-driving.

He's spot on about the SPFL bigwig being completely independent from the clubs. A sort of NFL style commissioner.

People usually think is a good idea... but: consider that clubs appointed Doncaster as their CEO, and commissioned Henry McLeish to write a review.

Their proposals included 10-team SPL or 12-12 > 8-8-8; introduction of Old Firm 'B' teams; and so on. Doncaster Regan and McLeish all wanted Rangers to start in SFL1. (Infact they probably wanted them to stay in SPL).

So if Doncaster or McLeish was the "Commissioner", would we be happy with them being allowed to decide things? Agree deals? etc.?

Neither do I, but some people just can't handle 2 hours on a Saturday without it.

Probably the same people that moan about the zero tolerance on drink-driving.

Just because people would like alcohol to be available doesn't mean they're desperate for it or can't go two hours without it. They'd simply like the choice to have a pint if they so desire, as you can at most sporting events.

You don't have to be an alcoholic to want to drink at a game. This isn't remotely hard to understand.

Who defined the action of drinking alcohol at a sporting event as a "desperate need"? Is there a "desperate need" to buy presents for Christmas every December, or any other behavioural choice that can be freely made without any archaic restrictions?

Not surprising though to see the forum's resident Helen Lovejoy trying to manufacture more faux outrage and disdain, after the utter disaster you've had on the Ched Evans thread.

The problem is that for lots of casual fans football is something viewed through the TV and if you are going to watch football on telly you may as well watch La Liga as it's obviously better. This leads a lot of people to say that Scottish football is rubbish, poor standard etc but it isn't, it's pretty much the standard you'd expect for the money in the game and the size of country. This isn't any different to 15-20 years ago. People talk up the standard of the teams then but Rangers with Gazza and Laudrup still got owned in Europe repeatedly (Juve absolutely shellacking them home and away sticks in the memory). Getting people to take a bit of pride in their local sides and support them rather than just watching Real and Barca on Sky is a start. 'Diddy' teams actually have an advantage in this over the Old Firm - I think kids now who would've supported Rangers or Celtic when I was at school are more likely to want a Barca or Chelsea top, if you're going to gloryhunt may as well do it properly. If clubs like Caley can get these guys also supporting local sides then we can move forward.

The answer is to increase local support, make the matchday experience better and somehow make it more affordable. I paid £26 for a ticket to the Caley-County game a couple of months back, that's too much for a lot of people. I don't really know how to do it - we currently have one of our best ever teams but our fanbase remains static. Our first full season in the SPL in Inverness we had an average crowd of 5,000, now that's 3,500 odd. I think the price of tickets has put off occasional attenders but it's difficult to find a balance to pull them back in without bankrupting the clubs - it's well established that halving ticket prices doesn't double crowds.

Why are people dismissive of the darts or snooker style changes they think he would implement?? He has done none of those things at Orient, and turned them from arguably London's joke club to threatening for a Championship spot recently. He knows w

how to market a limited-audience sport and make it attractive to the passing viewing enthusiast...The two p***ks running the game into the ground couldn't sell a baby a fucking rattle.

Regan dismisses it as chat from a Cheeky Chappy Cockney.

NO REGAN YOU EFFING ★★★★★★★

HE IS SAYING WHAT ALL US DIDDIES HAVE BEEN SAYING

SELL OUR PHUCKING GAME, EARN YOUR WAGE YOU TOTAL DICK

Erm, spend ££££ in a pub nearby and turn up late for game.

Or pay money to your cub, arrive early, add to atmosphere.

Will prob drink less as you arent ramming them down in town before game.

Archived