Barry Hearn

My thinking isn't even really as detailed as that... Hearn made vital broad points - over negativity, being too OF focused, not having a sponsor and so on - and one narrow point: to reintroduce alcohol. Yet more attention has fallen on the latter than the former, even e.g. in Regan's interview in my paper today.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

English football is becoming more popular within Scotland than Scottish these days.

A walk around Glasgow and you see most young kids wearing Chelsea, Man City/United etc... Top than you do anyone else.

Welcome to our world

My thinking isn't even really as detailed as that... Hearn made vital broad points - over negativity, being too OF focused, not having a sponsor and so on - and one narrow point: to reintroduce alcohol. Yet more attention has fallen on the latter than the former, even e.g. in Regan's interview in my paper today.

I imagine that's what Regan will be wanting to talk about. It's easy for the governing bodies to say they are pushing for something that they know is unlikely to happen.

Talking about Hearn's other points - the more important ones - would lead to enviable criticism of Regan, Doncaster etc, or maybe even lead to change, so focusing on the alcohol question makes perfect sense.

BBC reporting the police and the government have ruled-out any change to the alcohol situation.

The booze ban after the events of 10 May 1980 (vid below) is still with us nearly 35 years later....
The British Government banned the sale of booze at all Scottish sports grounds after the above game through an Act of Parliament. This was then partially lifted in 2007, when the sale of drink was allowed at International rugby union matches at Murrayfield.
As regards to the sale of booze in hospitality:
"These transactions do not contravene the legislation because the sale of alcohol is still permitted in hospitality areas with no direct sight of the pitch"

Maybe in a backwater but I'm talking about Global interest. What's happened is that the football association allowed tiny clumps of badly supported clubs to dictate the future of the game which is all the way down to amateur if we don't get the big clubs back but bury your head in the sand and blame the media. Silly stuff mate

The football association is the badly supported clubs, Albert.

English football is becoming more popular within Scotland than Scottish these days.

A walk around Glasgow and you see most young kids wearing Chelsea, Man City/United etc... Top than you do anyone else.

Spanish teams, German teams. English teams. Corporate sport.

Now that Hearn has highlighted the utter ineptitude of the top brass in the game, it's got to be the best time to start off a movement to get Cockwomble removed from his postion.

What exactly has he achieved during his tenure? Failed to get a sponsor for the league; made a massive balls up of the Sky TV deal; attempted to destroy the reputation of the game by saying we'd all be fucked without Rangers; etc.

His spell in charge consists purely of a catalogue of failures.

It absolutely boils my piss that this wage thief is rewarded handsomely for doing the square root of f**k all.

Surely a petition with thousands of signatures on it would go some way to pressurising the useless c**t into walking? It's either that or it's time to get the pitchfork and torches out but too many folk are all talk and no trousers so that's a non-starter.

Time to strike while the iron is hot, bitches.

Now that Hearn has highlighted the utter ineptitude of the top brass in the game, it's got to be the best time to start off a movement to get Cockwomble removed from his postion.

What exactly has he achieved during his tenure? Failed to get a sponsor for the league; made a massive balls up of the Sky TV deal; attempted to destroy the reputation of the game by saying we'd all be fucked without Rangers; etc.

His spell in charge consists purely of a catalogue of failures.

It absolutely boils my piss that this wage thief is rewarded handsomely for doing the square root of f**k all.

Surely a petition with thousands of signatures on it would go some way to pressurising the useless c**t into walking? It's either that or it's time to get the pitchfork and torches out but too many folk are all talk and no trousers so that's a non-starter.

Time to strike while the iron is hot, bitches.

Unfortunately if he did leave he would more than likely be replaced by someone similar. The problem is that we have some very narrow minded individuals with no vision that run our game and they are not going to change anytime soon. I'm not saying there shouldn't be change, there should be, but if you get rid of one arsehole you will more than likely get another one in his place.

No idea why Doncaster and Regan are still in a job both should have fallen on their swords after the joke that was Rangers Armageddon rubbish and trying to bully clubs into accepting the tribute act into the 1st Division and let’s not even get started on the new names for the leagues - total joke.

Hearn makes some great points and points the finger of blame where it lies but it isn't something new he has suddenly stumbled upon, these exact things have been said at grounds around the country for years. We can all see what the problems is with Scottish football sadly the media and administrators can't see it or don't want to improve things as it is easy for them as it is.

We have a media that is obsessed with two clubs and by giving the two clubs 90% of the coverage ensures that they pick up extra fans throughout the country which in turn gives them a bigger budget and makes them dominate the leagues. This is not a good scenario as no one wants to watch a league where you can predict the winners every year and this is what is killing our game for years 40 clubs have just made up the numbers fighting for the scraps the OF leave Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc will never bring in new fans if they are just making up the numbers.

What Hearn says is 100% correct we need to sell the whole package not just one derby, you don't improve a product by talking it down. We are never going to compete with the EPL so stop trying. What we need is a good media package that gives fair coverage to all the teams and our own individual style not what is good down South, we need to start listening to the customers and we need someone who is not obsessed by the OF we have allowed these two clubs to run our league to their gain and everyone else’s demise. We had a chance to change our league in 2012 but once again self interest destroyed it and somehow we kept the 11-1 voting system which once Rangers are in the SPFL Premier will allow the two Glasgow clubs to dictate everything again and nothing will change except the fans leaving the games.

The EPL is far better in terms of quality

I was at an EPL game a couple of weeks back and it was fcking crap.

Insipid, characterless drivel.

Only good thing was getting a pint at half time.

I don't understand the desperate need for people to drink during a game.

It's called having a choice.

Regarding the naming of the leagues (and I've made this point before); it makes sense in England as the EPL is run by a different body to the other leagues. Up here our 4 leagues are all run by the SPFL so the naming makes no sense.

Talking of the SPFL, that name highlights the ineptitude and incompetence of many of the media. Many of the guys on Sportsound think the SPFL is the name of the top league in Scotland and often refer to it as such. Even Peter Houston did this the other night and he's the manager of an SPFL team.

These same clowns were talking down the Alloa/Dumbarton game yesterday with one of them snidely commenting that the atmosphere would be very different from Wednesday night. Whilst true, there was just no need for it. As most of them are Sevco fans, he was probably still bitter and hurting that a 'diddy team' dared to beat his beloved Sevco.

I'm another who didn't like the rename, but it seems to be happening across British sport... the English rugby union system has renamed their second tier "Championship" and their third to fifth tiers "National League 1 to 3". Northern Irish football has renamed their second tier "Championship". Welsh football may do the same with their impending re-jig. Welsh rugby union has renamed their second tier "Championship" and below that "League xyz".

Oh for some originality.

Unfortunately if he did leave he would more than likely be replaced by someone similar. The problem is that we have some very narrow minded individuals with no vision that run our game and they are not going to change anytime soon. I'm not saying there shouldn't be change, there should be, but if you get rid of one arsehole you will more than likely get another one in his place.

If everyone had a defeatist attitude like that then businesses up and down the country would be run by incompetent arseholes for fear of sacking them in case their replacement isn't any better. The only place that thinking should apply is in general elections when you keep a muppet in charge because you can see the alternative isn't any better.

That's what the interview process is for. There is no way there isn't any better candidates for the job out there.

The match day experience in Scotland is atrocious.

Go down to a premiership ground and copy what you are seeing (seen as we copy everything else anyway).

Fans are flocking round the place for hours before KO

Food kiosks, fan zones, bars, stuff for the kids. It's not just a 2 hour day it's a whole experience.

Even inside the ground it seems so much better than up here.

People seem better behaved in the ground with a pint than they do in a pub.

Drop the prices and add more of an experience to the day.

Get large bar areas in the stands showing the 12.30 game and see if people would stay for the 5.30 KO too.

You may 1 day have punters at the ground for 7-8 hours instead of walking in at 2.59 and running back to the pub at 4.50.

Stop seeing us as loyal mugs who will accept any old shite and give the customer an experience.

All primary kids free and high school a fiver too.

Absolutely. I live in the USA and you should see the experience you get from attending a sports game here even at college level! The SPFL is a joke. We're in the Stone Age. Such a shame.

• 4 weeks later...

Doncaster gives a New Year interview on BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30650368

Saying that the issue isn't simply one of finding people who want to become the naming rights sponsor, but someone prepared to pay enough for it. Blames uncertainty caused by SPL-SFL merger in summer of 2013, "continuing uncertainty generally in the game", and the Rangers crises.

Also adds "Hearn was absolutely right to talk about the need to talk the game up and some of us talk the game down more than we should".

Finishes with discussion of Rangers and 'new club' v 'old club' issue.

Archived