St Mirren v St Johnstone, 6/12/14

Wotherspoon appears to play with very little confidence, which stops him from reaching the standard he is capable of on a consistent basis. He got a lift when he signed for Saints and was pretty good in the opening months of his time with us but when he has a few bad games, the head seems to drop more than most players. Hibs responded to that by dropping him, Tommy Wright tried to manage it by letting him play through it but that hasn't really worked either. The key could be simply making him believe in himself a bit more, as when he does, he can have a great end product as an attacking midfielder. His part in Stevie May's goal at Firhill last season was brilliant.

This is 100% correct. Its a minor thing and probably doesn't have much bearing on anything, but it frustrates the life out of me how apologetic he is once he's made a mistake. It could be just a bad pass or taking a shot when he should of passed but he instantly apologises to everyone and seems to start beating himself up, it might be better if he started telling them to f**k off, or do anything other than blame himself really.

In saying all of that Chris Millar can miscontrol a simple ball and then explode in rage at anyone who dared be in his eyeline and it doesn't really help him control the next one all that much more.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What position were you playing Lappin? He looked very central, and I always remember him as being left wing or left full back for us.

We usually play like....

Millar - Lappin

Wotherspoon - McFadden - O'Halloran

Presume it was similar yesterday

The sports scientist could have warned him about it, but Tommy sacked them.

That was the sports psychologist - a good move in my view as he was partly responsible for the utter pish Lennon was coming out with after the games. The sports scientist(s) got booted the year before I think.

According to Tommy: "There was a wee minority shouting, but I can perfectly understand it. They are just as hurt, baffled and disappointed as I am."

I somewhat doubt we're baffled about the same things...

There is no way Thommo should have started yesterday unless TC did the correct thing and omitted him from the ICT game earlier in the week. To ask anyone who has been out for 6 months to come in and play 3 games in 7 days as a lone striker is madness. Would not surprise me if Thommo suffers a bad reaction to the injury getting pushed this hard. Unfortunately all the strikers TC signed are hopeless and he has now put himself in a corner by relying on Thommo only.

Oh and a big shout out to two of our idiot stewards yesterday who tried (without success) to kick a guy in hospitality out...his crime? Chanting 'you don't know what you're doing' at TC near the end of the match.

Edit: And it wasn't me!

Though I did join in.

There is no way Thommo should have started yesterday unless TC did the correct thing and omitted him from the ICT game earlier in the week. To ask anyone who has been out for 6 months to come in and play 3 games in 7 days as a lone striker is madness. Would not surprise me if Thommo suffers a bad reaction to the injury getting pushed this hard. Unfortunately all the strikers TC signed are hopeless and he has now put himself in a corner by relying on Thommo only.

I'm starting to wonder whether they are hopeless or whether it is down to Tommy Craig.

I mean anyone who has watched McGinn or McLean or Naismith this year would say they've been poor and a shadow of last season. So maybe they are OK and....

Some goal by O'Halloran, regardless of the deflection. Seems like forever since we've had someone willing to hit a chance like that.

Some goal by O'Halloran, regardless of the deflection. Seems like forever since we've had someone willing to hit a chance like that.

What? Did I just imagine May and his shoot on sight, regardless of position, policy?

I suppose 3 months can seem like forever following Saints.

May was always willing to hit them anyway, but there were very few he actually struck well like O'Halloran's yesterday. Hamilton away is the only one I remember from May. He always seemed to take a tough and drive forward before shooting though, and Random could be saying we've had few players who just hit and hope a loose ball without trying to control first.

Certainly makes sense to take potshots from anywhere when playing in such conditions and against a team with no confidence and not much more luck.

Our defence has been poor this season but the number of poor clearances that have dropped perfectly for opponents tap ins certainly seems to be a lot higher than I remember in times when things are going well.

Kello especially seemed to be intentionally parrying shots right in to the danger areas until he was dropped.

When I saw the two chances Ball missed, I'm afraid I just can't see him ever doing it for us.

So one more home game to come in 2014 could motherwell make it a clean sweep, Sorry it should be how many will motherwell put by us. That'll bring an exciting period of 4/5 goals and one point from all our home games how on eath is this muppet still in a f**king job

May was always willing to hit them anyway, but there were very few he actually struck well like O'Halloran's yesterday. Hamilton away is the only one I remember from May. He always seemed to take a tough and drive forward before shooting though, and Random could be saying we've had few players who just hit and hope a loose ball without trying to control first.

How is may getting on down at Wednesday? He been playing regularly / scoring?

Strange player, he never particularly impressed me any time I've seen him in the flesh, but you can't argue with his record and consistency year on year since being farmed out on loan (to Alloa was it?)

Archived