St Mirren v St Johnstone, 6/12/14

Away from the fact that plenty folk thought that Tommy Craig was a strange appointment and said as much, he has shown himself in a pretty bad light over the past few months - starting as early as when he stormed off from an early season interview when asked about Jim Goodwin - which reflects really badly on the board of St Mirren when it comes to judging the character of someone.

Is he in serious danger of losing his job off the back of a heavy defeat (and protests/chants) tomorrow or is that still a bit off?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Away from the fact that plenty folk thought that Tommy Craig was a strange appointment and said as much, he has shown himself in a pretty bad light over the past few months - starting as early as when he stormed off from an early season interview when asked about Jim Goodwin - which reflects really badly on the board of St Mirren when it comes to judging the character of someone.

Is he in serious danger of losing his job off the back of a heavy defeat (and protests/chants) tomorrow or is that still a bit off?

No-one knows for sure. There's a lot of rumours and speculation and it's would be foolish to believe that the BoD are simply sitting back passively and allowing this to happen. The last time we sacked a manager - rather than let his deal run out - they probably pulled the trigger a month later than they should have as well.

From last weeks AGM, the over-riding feeling was that whilst SG looked to back Tommy and be behind him, the body language and reactions of the other members of the board told that they weren't as convinced.

I reckon anything other than either a point or a dramatic improvement in performance tomorrow will put paid to him.

Fan. Singular. There aren't several of me posting.

Anyway. A very selective piece of quoting and well you know it. I've given my reasons for this chain of thought and that that I don't actually hope we do lose, but you pick out the one part of the quote which suits your wee agenda.

It's false logic though, whenever it is applied. You are so desperate for St. Mirren to sack Craig you haven't considered, or don't understand, just why the board are holding on.

I personally think he should be sacked but, and this is the crucial point, I understand the situation and potential alternatives far less than they do. It's easy for fans to sit from afar and shout with negative comments - they aren't the ones making the decision and they won't be the ones who are responsible for the repercussions of that decision. As I've said, it could be that nobody wants the job or that we can't afford to sack him, I don't know.

As for hoping we lose 10-0 rather than 1-0? Come on, get a grip.

Did you ever call for Lennons / Gus' departure before they actually went? Do you now accept that the board got the timing of both decisions correct?

It's false logic though, whenever it is applied. You are so desperate for St. Mirren to sack Craig you haven't considered, or don't understand, just why the board are holding on.

I personally think he should be sacked but, and this is the crucial point, I understand the situation and potential alternatives far less than they do. It's easy for fans to sit from afar and shout with negative comments - they aren't the ones making the decision and they won't be the ones who are responsible for the repercussions of that decision. As I've said, it could be that nobody wants the job or that we can't afford to sack him, I don't know.

As for hoping we lose 10-0 rather than 1-0? Come on, get a grip.

Did you ever call for Lennons / Gus' departure before they actually went? Do you now accept that the board got the timing of both decisions correct?

I'm not sure what you're getting at as to why they are holding on. Are you suggesting that they may be doing so because of a potential sale? I can't see it myself. 5 years on the market doesn't fill me with confidence.

As for alternatives, SG himself admitted that there were several dozen applicants for the job which starting falling when Danny was still in a job and he didn't even consider them, so the interest and affordability argument doesn't hold up I'm afraid.

I do agree with you in the sense that we can't afford to sack him. Unfortunately though, we are getting to a stage where we can afford to keep him even less. Tom Hendrie was put on gardening leave for over a year, rather than bagged right away. Why isn't this a viable option?

I only began to call for Gus departure in the wake of the LC final debacle and his failure to keep his squad in order and lead by example one way or another over the bonus debacle. Though I was willing for him to stay put the remainder of that season as it was almost over. I also felt Lennon probably should have gone at the start of last season after the disaster of a first 8 games. Though I accept he went at the right time.

I'm a season ticket holder but I've got to the stage where I genuinely can't be arsed going to games. This is certainly the most apathetic I've felt towards the club.

Can't see anything other than a comfortable 3-0 or 4-0 win for St Johnstone, a probable injury for Thompson and some more merited seethe aimed at the home dugout.

I'm a season ticket holder but I've got to the stage where I genuinely can't be arsed going to games. This is certainly the most apathetic I've felt towards the club.

Can't see anything other than a comfortable 3-0 or 4-0 win for St Johnstone, a probable injury for Thompson and some more merited seethe aimed at the home dugout.

And incredibly we still wouldn't be bottom thanks to the continual shiteness of County, one of the few things keeping Craig in a job.

I wouldn't speak too soon!

But yes, I don't regret Danny leaving. We were stagnating and his record was inconsistent at best and downright shite at worse. I feel it's up to the players to try and turn this around. We have the same core of last years team, we just need to try and hold out and see what happens in the next few weeks wrt Tommy.

think we could take sevco in the play offs ?. that would be the dogs bollox for me . but I have a feeling we ll be ok and just stay up ....

If that were the situation last season or the season before I would definitely fancy The Rangers in a play off. Infact I actually can't think of many better things than beating that mob to clinch our safety.

However, this season with the current squad even sevco would beat us with ease. We have the likes of Reilly, Drury, Marwood and Ball all playing regularly, none of which are good enough for the even the championship.

We're in big trouble and Tommy must be sacked soon if we've to have a chance of survival.

Saturdays without football are shit but Saturdays watching shit football are even worse.

Letting Danny Lennon go at the end of his contract because they didn't feel the club was progressing under him was fair enough. Giving the job to his assistant was ridiculous from the word go. If they had just given it to Jim Goodwin himself, less questions would've been asked.

Tommy Craig summed himself up for me when he just stared at a reporter on BBC news last week during the sports report. The guy asked him a question relating to the fans losing faith in his ability to turn things around and he just have the guy a dirty look and didn't answer the question. It was a fair, if uncomfortable question. He's the sort of guy who would take all the plaudits when things go well but seek to blame someone else when they go wrong.

St.Mirren need to get rid of him. County are losing but not playing badly, eventually you have to think they will start picking up some points. Scoring goals isn't a problem for them. With the added difficulty of a play off position, time is of the essence for St.Mirren. I don't see them winning a play off over two legs against Hibs, Hearts or Rangers.

On the game itself, I firmly agree with Radford. The general feeling is we are improving but we are still seemingly capable of making life very difficult for ourselves. McFadden and O'Halloran are the ones to watch. If they play well I think we will score goals. Mannus needs to command the box better this week though. I am not hugely confident of us winning but anything other than defeat can be viewed positively with County losing last night. A win finally allows us to start looking up rather than down.

Our BOD were always going to give TC till Christmas at least, well, we're almost there. They have been patient throughout their twenty odd years at the club, that wasn't going to change.

We have three games before Xmas and I think he needs to get us out the bottom two by the time Santa comes or he'll be out with the turkey by Boxing Day. One of those three games is at Parkhead, so he really has two games, and this is one of them. Our squad crisis has also came to an end, so he's out of excuses. He has to turn it around and he has to turn it around quick.

Every game between us and a team in the bottom half this season has been tight. There's not been more than one goal in it either way in any match between us and any other side in the bottom six. Therefore I'm not buying into the theory that we're suddenly going to get turned over by one.

I think it will be another close game, but I think the Saintees will edge it, will go for 1-2. Tommy will get to the Motherwell game on the 21st though.

Archived