Alloa v Sons

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started well despite alloa hitting the post early on, could've been more comfortable but alloa made a fist of it, glad they weren't more clinical, thought Jk was excellent, as was kane again, but my mom has to go to kieran Mcdonald, always a threat going forward and heroic at the back

Good game. Dumbarton will be happy to be away with all the points from a very even game in which both sides had chances to win..We played pretty well, but were carrying a passenger in Eddie Ferns, who obviously still wasn't recovered from the 'flu and had a miserable time. Almost everything that he did went wrong, and he took pelters for it, unfortunately. Despite some good attacking play, defeat looked inevitable with plenty of time to go, as nothing quite went right when it came to the crunch. Even the final ten minute barrage didn't happen.

Not bothered by this at all, however, as this was a shoestring team that must have been a bit knackered anyway. It's just unfortunate that a game against relegation rivals came at the end of such a big seven days, but something has to give eventually.

Incidentally, what's going on with Dumbarton's throw-ins? Some of them were absolutely shocking, and straight to the feet of static Alloa players. Is this normal?

A good decent open game that sons perhaps just edged based on maturity and control of the ball. Couldnt have grumbled with a draw as alloa were unlucky on occasion. Dont know what barry smith done but i know alloa could have had a soft penalty from another ref.

Taggart and van zanten settled into the routine after a while, andy graham excellent again, kirky, fleming, kane and macdonald the other decent performers.

Excellent, hard working shift from us today. Probably should have been more goals in the match but a vital 3 points gained.

As others have said, some good standout performances, McDonald could make it tough for Linton to regain his 1st team place, the lad was superb today.

Thumbs up ???? to the wee Hot Food wagon too, £1 for a soup, hot drink, hotdog etc. None of that overpricing nonsense in darkest Clackmannanshire.

Good even game today, could've gone either way but thought in the end we probably just deserved it. First half was more Alloa despite the goal but thought we looked more threatening in the second.

Really didn't know what to expect from Alloa today after their midweek heroics but they didn't show any signs of tiredness. Well done to them for making a game of it with a patchwork team after a whirlwind week.

Kieran MacDonald was excellent, my motm and I actually prefer him to Linton (going by what I've seen). Special mentions to Kirky and Gilhaney who also put in a very decent shift. Feared the worst when Turner went off with Alloa's midfield 5 but Kirky put in his best performance of the season.

I'd literally donate my left baw to keep Kaneo in January. Going to be a huge job replacing him. Do Sons fans think we would've won that without him? He's the most naturally gifted goalscorer I've had the pleasure of watching at Dumbarton over the years, even Dobbie doesn't come close.

Edited to add: Big performance from Agnew today, thought he was excellent. Someone get that c**t a silken dressing goon and roll him a big fatty. He deserves it for producing those passes with the famous Aggy #wand.

Kane scoring against Alloa in a Sons win. Standard.

:( Class act unfortunately. Difference between the teams IMO.

Slighlty disappointing performance and maybe the efforts of Wednesday together with the continued injuries took their toll. If Simmy's shot goes in off the post, or even falls for Spence we are favourites to win - obviously the first goal is so important in these games. After Dumbarton scored we created a few chances but the ball just seemed to fall the wrong way for us around their goal.

We lacked a little bit composure at times and Dumbarton probably showed a bit more of that when required, but they didn't have to force the game.

Difficult to be too critical of the players after Wednesday in particular and the last few weeks generally.

Really next few weeks and we will need to play very well to take many points. We are in there battling though and we will continue to do that.

The ideal scenario would have been for Saints to keep Stevie May for one more season and give Kane another full season with Dumbarton.

When he comes back to us in January you could do a lot worse than take Dylan Easton on loan. He is not the same type player as Kano, he is a small very skilful and creative midfielder who is now starting to score a few goals for the U20`s.

This time next month he'll be a Premiership player...

Say it ain't so ☹

How much, how much for him?? Sell ye the title deeds to Dumbarton Castle, Young's Farm Dome?? How about it?

Is it true that Tommy Wright doesn't really think much of him? Can't believe he is not a St J regular.

The ideal scenario would have been for Saints to keep Stevie May for one more season and give Kane another full season with Dumbarton.

When he comes back to us in January you could do a lot worse than take Dylan Easton on loan. He is not the same type player as Kano, he is a small very skilful and creative midfielder who is now starting to score a few goals for the U20`s.

Midfield isn't really an area we're lacking in if I'm honest. What we need is a like for like replacement, someone who can score for fun.

There's probably more chance of me getting my hole off Ariana Grande than us finding a goalscorer in January.

With this being our third game in 8 days (with the other two fixtures being against full-timers) we were a tad unfortunate that this fixture happened to be against one of the other part-timers in the league after such a gruelling schedule and also with such a depleted squad, especially with it being Dumbarton who have had a fortnight break. With our next two league matches being away to the two Edinburgh teams where it'll be unlikely (although not impossible) that we'll pick up any points, we really needed to try and scrape at least a point out of today, however that would've been a huge ask of our players today.

No Buchanan today but thankfully Simmons returned so we were still able to field eleven first-team squad players, although at least 3 or 4 would probably have been replaced had we had a full squad to choose from. Our bench today was our sub goalkeeper plus three 17-year olds from the development squad, who were only going to be getting a game had anyone got injured during the match.

Sorry to disagree with you BBPF, but we definitely showed signs of tiredness today, especially the last 20-25 minutes where it became increasingly apparent to us that we were going to struggle to create much more. Players simply couldn't get forward in numbers anymore and we were really needing to rely on a bit of genius from someone, or luck from somewhere. The closest we came near the end was when we threw Ben Gordon up front for the last 5 minutes and he never connected with his header properly. Spence did have a decent chance near the beginning of the second half but even his shot was tired, bordered on a pass back to the keeper actually. I think the players were perhaps asked to go for it at the start of the match today when they'd be at their freshest and see if they could sneak the first goal,which would've gave us a platform to build on and perhaps hold out for a draw/win as the game progressed. As it turned out, the game just petered out for the last 20 or so minutes. Had Simmons' shot at 0-0 which hit the inside of the post and crawled across goal to safety gone in then we may have seen a different match but we'd have still tired towards the end and struggled, despite how fit most of our players are.

A lot of love for Kane on here, and I can obviously see why from a Dumbarton perspective as he scores a lot of goals. But every time I've seen him (the 1-5 league game, 0-1 Scottish Cup game and today) he has been a consistent diver. He has a great strike on him and took his chance well today but I just feel the constant simulation is a black mark on his game. He reminds me of Iain Russell, terrific goal-scoring rate but goes down looking regularly. Even after Craig Thomson had warned him about it today (after his second one) he still went down twice later on, perhaps he's just part of the mould (or generation) where players aren't necessarily taught to do it an early age by coaches but are simply viewing it as part and parcel of today's game nowadays.

About the soft penalty incident, I didn't see a good view of it but it looked like Hetherington had got round the last defender and had his shirt pulled. Some you get, some you don't. It's one of those ones where if the referee gives it, he'd have to send off the defender too. Unfortunately for us today, we only had a UEFA Elite referee in charge. :rolleyes:

Out of interest, is that a strong Dumbarton first eleven which played today or do you also have some players out? I must admit, I expected a lot better from you guys today, especially after being so impressive last season, and especially with our team being down to the bare bones. You'll obviously be happy with the three points today (which may prove invaluable come the end of the season) but I actually feared a bit of a hiding before today's game.

Edit: yes I know Turner (who I rate very highly) went off injured today.

A lot of love for Kane on here, and I can obviously see why from a Dumbarton perspective as he scores a lot of goals. But every time I've seen him (the 1-5 league game, 0-1 Scottish Cup game and today) he has been a consistent diver. He has a great strike on him and took his chance well today but I just feel the constant simulation is a black mark on his game. He reminds me of Iain Russell, terrific goal-scoring rate but goes down looking regularly

Sorry about the massive edit, but I wanted to hone in on this point.

It irritated me when Russell did this wherever he played, and it irritates me just as much when Kano does it. It seems to be that some players have a gift of going to ground too easily, and have the ability to check out what the ref's decision is whilst they tumble. It's a special talent to be watching the ref blow his whistle while you're still falling down!

Sorry about the massive edit, but I wanted to hone in on this point.

It irritated me when Russell did this wherever he played, and it irritates me just as much when Kano does it. It seems to be that some players have a gift of going to ground too easily, and have the ability to check out what the ref's decision is whilst they tumble. It's a special talent to be watching the ref blow his whistle while you're still falling down!

The one where Thomson waved play on just as we lost the ball on the attack only for Kane to go down looking to stop and calm the game down must've really annoyed some of the Dumbarton support. He had a great chance to run with it or clear it but it ended up with Alloa gaining possession halfway inside the Dumbarton half and allowed us to start another attack in a dangerous area of the pitch.

Just like Russell though, some referees will eventually cotton on to it and there will be days when he does get fouled and perhaps get nothing for it.

One player who both sets of fans will be familiar with is Bryan Prunty. He used to be good at backing in to a defender waiting for a long or high ball to come down then he'd inexplicably lurch forward and fall to the ground just before the ball got to them. The number of times he actually got the free-kicks for that were frightening.

Archived