HL vs LL

lionel hutz

HL vs LL  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If there were to be a play-off between Edin. City and Brora at the end of the season, Edinburgh City would comfortably win it. Let's be honest, the Lowland League is a stronger league than the HL, Spartans' cup run has proved this.

I beg to differ.

Having seen both clubs this season, Brora would win comfortably. They may have lost 4-1 to Queens on Saturday but for most of the game they matched their championship opponents all over park.

They look a fit and well disciplined outfit.

The real question is, would Brora want to be a league club. Big Fish in a small pond at the moment. All games relatively local, big crowds or league club . paying a lot of cash getting to games and financially worse off?? I have heard they want to stay HL

If they were to decide to stay in the HL would the winners of the LL play off against bottom of SPFL2 or would the opportunity go to 2nd place in HL? If they were to win promotion then negate the offer to go up it would in my opinion make a mockery of the pyramid system.

The real question is, would Brora want to be a league club. Big Fish in a small pond at the moment. All games relatively local, big crowds or league club . paying a lot of cash getting to games and financially worse off?? I have heard they want to stay HL

Bora wouldn't be financially worse off in the spfl. HTH

If they were to decide to stay in the HL would the winners of the LL play off against bottom of SPFL2 or would the opportunity go to 2nd place in HL? If they were to win promotion then negate the offer to go up it would in my opinion make a mockery of the pyramid system.

Someone will give it better than me but all teams need to have the correct license to get promoted.

I questioned officials of a LL team about the possibility of promotion into the SPFL, the response I got was Yes they are poorly supported and that would be unlikely to change, but apparently the lump sums paid to the club through the season by the SPFL would leave them with a profit at the end of the year.

Anyone know more details, on how this works.

Just about the last thing Scottish football needs is a Gretna lite and Brora pretty much fit the bill. Their current high flying is entirely down to a benefactor bankrolling them, they'd be doing everyone a favour by staying in the HFL...except the HFL :huh:

I questioned officials of a LL team about the possibility of promotion into the SPFL, the response I got was Yes they are poorly supported and that would be unlikely to change, but apparently the lump sums paid to the club through the season by the SPFL would leave them with a profit at the end of the year.

Anyone know more details, on how this works.

It's said it could be worth £40,000 to £50,000 in payments just for turning-up at the SPFL2 startline.

When SPFL was formed, figures were published showing that on the income levels of SPL & SFL, clubs ending in the bottom half in SPFL2 would receive between £40,000 (5th) and £32,000 (10th).

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/229106-how-much-money-does-your-club-stand-to-make-from-league-reconstruction/

Since then SPFL has obtained some new additional income e.g. supplementary TV deals; but is also missing a naming rights sponsor which used to be worth £3M of about £20M income. So presumably things are currently lower than the published predictions; on the flipside, that shouldn't last forever.

You used to get something like £10,500 (latterly it may even have been £12,000) for losing in League Cup R1... Again, that will presumably be considerably lower currently with there being no naming rights sponsor; but again, that won't last forever. You also get into the Challenge Cup - it used to be £2,750 for losing in R1 but then Ramsdens signed an "improved" deal and Petrofac have a "significantly enhanced" one so presumably the figure has edged up a bit. Finally you enter in Scottish Cup R2, which is an extra £2,000 versus exiting in R1.

There would also be additional matchday income. In the case of LL clubs there'd be 18 guaranteed home games instead of 14/15, and the extra cups mentioned above: an away draw to a Championship club in League Cup or Challenge Cup R1 would net a decent take from the share of the gate. Every club that has joined the Scottish League has seen crowds rise, and clubs could presumably up their prices by a couple of quid. Bigger crowds also mean more bar, pie and programme sales and logically sponsors boards, hospitality and suchlike might also return more income. And SPFL pay referee costs directly, whereas in LL they're borne by the clubs, IIRC, so there's a small saving. If SFA solidarity payments are graded by division - which they certainly used to be - then you'd also get a bit more from those.

Even if relegated after 1 season you get £40,000 parachute followed by £20,000 the next season (source: SPFL rulebook), and presumably the relegated club would get a farewell Challenge Cup trip. So in the first year back in HL/LL they'd receive ~£45,000.

There is, of course, not solely a question of additional income - there are also additional costs. Most notably the extra travelling though the degree would vary depending on the club in question. On a month-to-month basis presumably there could also be some extra expense in running home games - if bigger crowds were expected and the staffing had to reflect this, for example.

Personally I don't see how a club could ascend to SPFL2 from HL/LL and not make money. Obviously they could blow it all on wages, but that's not compulsory. However, a caveat to that could be clubs without floodlights - Dalbeattie, Vale of Leithen, Whitehill - as the initial expense of those is considerable.

Personally as a follower of Scottish football as a whole but only seeing teams from these leagues by highlights, reading up on stats etc it looks too me as the top of the highland league is stronger than the lowland league but the bottom of the lowland league looks a bit stronger than the bottom of the highland league if that makes sense.

Since the Scottish Cup was reformed in 2007, these have been the results between clubs which went on to form LL. I've put results for last 2 seasons (once LL founded) in bold. Personally, I think there's not a lot in it, and LL's improving while some HL fans seem to feel it's started weakening. From the results you could even lean slightly to LL being stronger and that's with Gretna/Stirling/etc. not entering regularly, too, and for longer than Turriff/Formartine/etc. weren't.

Lowland victories

'07-08 ... Fort William 0-6 Spartans

'07-08 ... Lossiemouth 1-3 Whitehill Welfare

'07-08 ... Edinburgh City 1-0 Clachnacuddin

'07-08 ... Edinburgh University 3-1 Deveronvale

'08-09 ... Dalbeattie Star 5-1 Lossiemouth

'08-09 ... Edinburgh City 2-0 Nairn County

'08-09 ... Wick Academy 1-4 Edinburgh City

'09-10 ... Fraserburgh 1-4 Spartans

'09-10 ... Edinburgh City 3-1 Keith

'10-11 ... Edinburgh City 1-0 Clachnacuddin

'10-11 ... Lossiemouth 0-2 Whitehill Welfare

'10-11 ... Keith 0-3 Spartans

'10-11 ... Whitehill Welfare 4-3 Wick Academy

'11-12 ... Edinburgh City 3-0 Brora Rangers

'11-12 ... Vale of Leithen 3-2 Cove Rangers

'12-13 ... Fort William 1-3 Preston Athletic

'13-14 ... Threave Rovers 3-0 Rothes

'13-14 ... Huntly 3-4 Preston Athletic

'14-15 ... Edinburgh City 5-0 Fort William

Draws

'07-08 ... Clachnacuddin 2-2 Edinburgh City

'08-09 ... Edinburgh City 0-0 Wick Academy

'08-09 ... Forres Mechanics 2-2 Dalbeattie Star

'08-09 ... Dalbeattie Star 1-1 Forres Mechanics (2-4 aet)

'10-11 ... Edinburgh University 2-2 Brora Rangers

'13-14 ... Edinburgh City 4-4 Fraserburgh

Highland victories

'07-08 ... Cove Rangers 1-0 Edinburgh University

'08-09 ... Cove Rangers 1-0 Whitehill Welfare

'08-09 ... Inverurie Loco Works 4-0 Vale of Leithen

'09-10 ... Dalbeattie Star 2-4 Keith

'09-10 ... Vale of Leithen 1-3 Keith

'09-10 ... Threave Rovers 1-2 Inverurie Loco Works

'10-11 ... Vale of Leithen 1-3 Keith

'10-11 ... Brora Rangers 2-1 Edinburgh University

'10-11 ... Deveronvale 1-0 Dalbeattie Star

'11-12 ... Dalbeattie Star 1-6 Inverurie Loco Works

'11-12 ... Nairn County 2-1 Selkirk

'12-13 ... Spartans 0-2 Wick Academy

'12-13 ... Whitehill Welfare 2-4 Inverurie Loco Works

'12-13 ... Preston Athletic 0-2 Nairn County

'13-14 ... Selkirk 1-3 Turriff Utd

'13-14 ... Brora Rangers 1-0 Vale of Leithen

'13-14 ... Fraserburgh 2-0 Edinburgh City

'14-15 ... Edinburgh City 2-3 Brora Rangers

Brora beat city 2-3 a few weeks back and I think would beat them quite comfortably at home, apart from brora there isn't really anyone else I wouldn't say whereas the lowland have e city spartans whitehill east kilbride and a few more that would beat most highland teams

I'd love to see the season open with a special one-day tournament... basically a mixture of the short-lived international Friendship Cups of the 1960s and the Football League Jubilee Fund series from before WWII.

Played on the Saturday before the season starts... champions would be on Petrofac Cup duty but they'd have met in the playoff at the end of the preceding season anyway... clubs from each finishing position in each league would play each other. Home advantage would alternate each year. Whichever league won most points would be victorius.

e.g. Based on current standings:

Spartans v Wick

Turriff v Gretna

Whitehill v Inverurie

Fraserburgh v Dalbeattie

East Kilbride v Formartine

Cove v Stirling Uni

Vale of Leithen v Forres

Nairn v Gala

BSC Glasgow v Buckie

Clachnacuddin v Selkirk

Edinburgh Uni v Deveronvale

Fort William v Threave

Preston v Huntly

Lossiemouth v New Club #1

New Club #2 v Keith

Rothes & Strathspey could twiddle their thumbs.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll put up a prizefund and make it happen :lol:!!

I'd love to see the season open with a special one-day tournament... basically a mixture of the short-lived international Friendship Cups of the 1960s and the Football League Jubilee Fund series from before WWII.

Played on the Saturday before the season starts... champions would be on Petrofac Cup duty but they'd have met in the playoff at the end of the preceding season anyway... clubs from each finishing position in each league would play each other. Home advantage would alternate each year. Whichever league won most points would be victorius.

e.g. Based on current standings:

Spartans v Wick

Turriff v Gretna

Whitehill v Inverurie

Fraserburgh v Dalbeattie

East Kilbride v Formartine

Cove v Stirling Uni

Vale of Leithen v Forres

Nairn v Gala

BSC Glasgow v Buckie

Clachnacuddin v Selkirk

Edinburgh Uni v Deveronvale

Fort William v Threave

Preston v Huntly

Lossiemouth v New Club #1

New Club #2 v Keith

Rothes & Strathspey could twiddle their thumbs.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll put up a prizefund and make it happen :lol:!!

Seems like the perfect format for Grims day of football at Ainslie park! 15 games at 90 mins leaves six mins between matches to cover a 24 hour spell. Perhaps a charity could get benefit?

Archived