Pars vs Ayr

Just watched the highlights and seems like we played really well and could have had a few more goals. Ayr keeper has made some terrible errors and a couple of very good saves. Smith is such a great wee poacher and looks to be getting better. Stirling also starting to shine. Much improved from the last game I was at Stenny.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a Pars fan who is a binman. For the hours they actually do, they get an alright wage.

Heard Alex Burke was/is a binman.

All I know is, she f*cking murdered " Hallelujah ".

Nothing much to add to the general tone of all Ayr threads these days. Were pish under Roberts. He has to go. Looking like a long winter :(

11 was Slane, other than being shite i dont think he did anything of note tbh but you are quite a precious bunch so could be anything :lol:

Slane was the one who was a bit precious, constant bawbaggery throughout.

Pretty dominant from us all in all yesterday but Ayr must've been very frustrated that they conceded very quickly having got back to 2-1 and 3-2. McLaughlin's goal was a cracker for them but topped by Byrne for us - as sweet a strike as you're likely to see.

We opened up on the front foot and I felt a goal was always coming for us. I've yet to watch the highlights (I will do so after posting!) but I felt Hutton could've done better with it. But what on earth he was doing at the second goal is anyone's guess :lol:

We were the better side but we didn't have to hit top gear to win comfortably. Ayr were poor and, second half especially, resorted to petulant fouling - Slane was a repeat offender. Offered nothing else to the afternoon.

Ryan Scully didn't have much to do and, really, aside from the two goals our makeshift defence with Geggan at right back and Millen in the middle weren't overly troubled. I thought Whittle had a good game going forward while Byrne was tidy in the middle of the park. But I was delighted to see Allan Smith grab a couple of goals - I felt he did well down at Stranraer last week and he played well again yesterday. Very busy on and off the ball and linked well with big Gozie I thought. Andy Stirling is coming on to a game now too the more he plays.

Despite all that, I was baffled with JJ's substitution when Gozie went off. Thomson was playing well in midfield and we were dominant in that area, but bringing Spence on to move Thomson up front saw us lose some presence in there. With Josh going in a wider role, it meant more positional changes than was needed had he brought Faissal on. Maybe he wanted to retain the physical presence Gozie was providing, but it didn't make sense to me.

But happy with the win and performance overall. Onwards to Tuesday.

Yeah you could be overly critical and say that against a decent side we would have been found out.

We had a ten minute spell where we struggled badly, as mentioned the sub was needed but it was the wrong person for me. IMO what we needed was Fais to come on and find the space to take the pressure off us and putting Chemin and Whittle on the same side was a bit daft but did work.

Geggan did ok at full back, only other time I have seen him play there was away to morton and he was terrible.

There was a great post on dot net that summed it up for me.

Despite getting what was in reality a fairly comfortable win yesterday, coming away from the game I wasn't overly delighted with what I saw.

To me we just don't look like a team that can win the league. On paper we have the individual players and a strong enough squad to make us favorites but my worry is that we still don't have the right balance or the right mentality.

Yesterday a dreadful Ayr team were handing out the early Christmas presents and we were 2-0 up thanks to some awful goalkeeping and without really breaking a sweat, despite scoring 4 I wasn't impressed with our shape.

I have real worries all over the park with the way we're set up at the moment and I still don't think Jeffries has got it sorted out yet. Despite us having the best goals against in the league the defence doesn't fill me with confidence, we rely way too much on Scully and thank god we've got him this season again.

In this middle of the park we don't seem to have the balance right. Thomson on the left mid is just a straight no for me, you either play him in centre mid or you don't play him at all. I think Byrne is improving all the time but I still have my worries over him when the going gets tough. Geggan has been out of form but has started pick up in recent games, I thought he was excellent at right back yesterday and another plus is that Stirling looks to be getting his fitness problems behind him and getting some form.

Up top, Moffat hasn't really done it for us yet. Gozie, it depends what side of the bed he gets out whether he'll dominate a game for us or be a passenger. Fais is similar to an extent blowing hot and cold a lot and learning the game. Smith getting his fitness and form back is a good sign though, I'm a fan of his, you know you'll get nothing short of 100% effort out of him.

These things worry me about the team, this league will be tight and what will win championships is the ability to put a really good run of 10 games together similar to the BMMMH run of the 10/11 season and I just can't see us doing that at the moment.

You need to be able to win games 2-0 away at Brechin or a 1-0 at Peterhead. Forfar are the team who have been doing that so far and for me they're the favourites at the moment as they seem to have that ability to see out games.

We're losing late goals, a lot to set pieces, throwing away leads etc It's not a good sign.

I know this sounds really negative and I'd love nothing more than for this thread to come back and bite me on the ass in May but there's just something about us at the moment that worries me.......

What formation were we playing? Roberts mentioned in his post match interview he had changed it for this week.

Hutton

Devlin Cummins Campbell McKinlay Donald

Gilmour

McLaughlin McGovern

Slane

Beattie

Sounds like the perfect formation for 'Honest Man' Brian Gilmour to spray his aimless 60 yard passes in! Tactical genius.

Well he is being outclassed by guys like McGovern in there, he played a higher level don't you know

The fact that Roberts is still employed by Ayr is, to coin the word used earlier in the thread by DAFC, bawbaggery of the highest order. A constant theme throughout the last couple of pages is Pars fans, who have absolutely no reason to lie or exaggerate, commenting on how crap we really are. Be nice if Lachlan read what the fans on here have to say rather than burying his coupon in the Californian sand.

BUZZING for the 600 crowd at Somerset on Saturday by the way. Just try and stop me.

Yeah you could be overly critical and say that against a decent side we would have been found out.

We had a ten minute spell where we struggled badly, as mentioned the sub was needed but it was the wrong person for me. IMO what we needed was Fais to come on and find the space to take the pressure off us and putting Chemin and Whittle on the same side was a bit daft but did work.

Geggan did ok at full back, only other time I have seen him play there was away to morton and he was terrible.

There was a great post on dot net that summed it up for me.

Despite getting what was in reality a fairly comfortable win yesterday, coming away from the game I wasn't overly delighted with what I saw.

To me we just don't look like a team that can win the league. On paper we have the individual players and a strong enough squad to make us favorites but my worry is that we still don't have the right balance or the right mentality.

Yesterday a dreadful Ayr team were handing out the early Christmas presents and we were 2-0 up thanks to some awful goalkeeping and without really breaking a sweat, despite scoring 4 I wasn't impressed with our shape.

I have real worries all over the park with the way we're set up at the moment and I still don't think Jeffries has got it sorted out yet. Despite us having the best goals against in the league the defence doesn't fill me with confidence, we rely way too much on Scully and thank god we've got him this season again.

In this middle of the park we don't seem to have the balance right. Thomson on the left mid is just a straight no for me, you either play him in centre mid or you don't play him at all. I think Byrne is improving all the time but I still have my worries over him when the going gets tough. Geggan has been out of form but has started pick up in recent games, I thought he was excellent at right back yesterday and another plus is that Stirling looks to be getting his fitness problems behind him and getting some form.

Up top, Moffat hasn't really done it for us yet. Gozie, it depends what side of the bed he gets out whether he'll dominate a game for us or be a passenger. Fais is similar to an extent blowing hot and cold a lot and learning the game. Smith getting his fitness and form back is a good sign though, I'm a fan of his, you know you'll get nothing short of 100% effort out of him.

These things worry me about the team, this league will be tight and what will win championships is the ability to put a really good run of 10 games together similar to the BMMMH run of the 10/11 season and I just can't see us doing that at the moment.

You need to be able to win games 2-0 away at Brechin or a 1-0 at Peterhead. Forfar are the team who have been doing that so far and for me they're the favourites at the moment as they seem to have that ability to see out games.

We're losing late goals, a lot to set pieces, throwing away leads etc It's not a good sign.

I know this sounds really negative and I'd love nothing more than for this thread to come back and bite me on the ass in May but there's just something about us at the moment that worries me.......

That's a really good post. No confidence in us from week to week. We have very little consistency and it's tough at times to know whether JJ really doesn't see any problems or is just downplaying them when doing his post-match obligations.

Ryan Thomson point is spot on. Yes he filled in as an auxiliary striker when we were desperate but he is a central midfielder. He needs to play there or not play at all.

Archived