Montrose vs Berwick

I thought it was a decent enough game but have to bear in mind that when you win it usually seems like that and when you lose it's the opposite. What I find it hard to understand is any Mo fan thinking it was a poor game. If you had been to any of the games I've been to in recent weeks the way we played against Berwick was much, much better. I'm not saying we were brilliant but what I am saying is that if we played with that level of commitment and determination every week we would be a lot better off and a few more would drift back to Links Park. Berwick played some decent stuff at times as well and could easily have won the game but their concentration levels don't seem to last 90 minutes as seen in both games against the Mo this season. That amongst other things is usually one of our problems as well but we ground it out for 95 minutes (and I thought the ref was going to just carry on until Berwick equalised untuil even he realised they weren't going to).

I don't agree about a critical comment made about Paul Watson. Ok he has poor games, who doesn't but he can be a match winner and his style of play is different to the other two midfielders we had last night in Masson and McCord (who was exceptional I thought). You need different styles of players in midfield and last night all three of them played well - that made a big difference.

Not saying we have turned the corner but credit where it is due. If we regard last night's comittment and determination to get a result as a benchmark we will win as many as we lose but the thing is to maintain that level. If GS wants to keep his job it's up to him to ensure that level is maintained. Berwick aren't a bad side but they have much the same type of problem to solve in my opinion.

I wouldn't have included Lee Currie in that list of players to build a team around. Not at the moment anyway.

Last season he played incredibly as our captain, and deservedly had a trial with Hearts. I 100% believe he is championship quality, just maybe not at Hearts' level. I was as surprised (and delighted) as anyone to see him sign up again.

However, missing out on full time football and coming back to a club you technically never left, only to be told you're no longer captain would be hard to deal with.

I don't know whether its a case of he thinks he's too good for us is leaving him disinterested, or a case of the huge blow to his confidence is still affecting him, but to be blunt I think he's been shite this season.

I reckon sorting this issue is the first step to fixing things.

It seems to me plenty players can't be arsed. Take the Scottish cup draw as an example.

Spartans twitter account got 10 times the number of retweets we got on the draw announcement. The whole team and club are buzzing. Then you look at our players and they're gutted because they didn't get Celtic. To me, watching my team in a Scottish cup quarter final is way more exciting a prospect than watching them get pumped by Celtic. Also, none of them seem to have realised that win the games and you'd then get an even better chance of playing a top team.

In conclusion, lump money on Spartans, regardless of who wins the replay.

Good post. You'd always expect there to be more of a buzz around Spartans with them being a non-league team, bit still. I don't think it's all the players mind.

I might go on about it abit, but it's the same attitude that saw them reject the chance to travel to Aberdeen the night before Culter and have proper pre-game prep under Little.

It will take a while to change the attitude.

About Lee Currie, no question he has'nt been at his best this season but in mitigation, he's had a shin splints problem and it seems that the manager alluded to external matters at the recent talk-in. i don't know what these are and frankly they're none of our business, but there's a world outside of football that can have an effect on the form of part-time players. In the last couple of matches i think he's looked more like his old self. He and Stevie Notman both put big shifts in v Rovers & Montrose without ever wresting complete control from the opposition.

We have no right to expect that every week, though possession figures suggest we're not doing too badly at it; the big issue is not capitalising on that possession.

I think we'll be up against it at Cliftonhell on Tuesday night, but it's doable. There has'nt been much between the sides in the 3 meetings so far this season, though a touch of luck would'nt go amiss.

If we get through, as a supporter the Spartans games is massive for me and i hope the players will feel the same way. We owe Spartans one after they beat us 1-0 under Coff, though we coasted to a 3-0 win there pre-season. Let's beat Rovers first. But the point about the players being big-team fixated, yeah, it does grate a bit but would any of us be any different if we were good enough to play for the B&G?

Drummond back to left back (he can still get forward); Gray in for Willis (Gray can swap wings as necessary); and the central mid strengthened with Cameron or Paul Currie or Gold (effectively therefore replacing Hoskins)

That pretty well solves everything. So get on with it.

Drummonds been quality on the left though? Swap Willis for Gray (why was he even dropped?) dargo and lavery up front if he's fit.

The hate on hoskins not being good enough is all well and good but it's not as if teams are cruising past the left back to score past us. Most of the times we've conceded this season have been from set pieces. That's the problem I think needs to be solved.

Your no. 2 was horrific on Tuesday. Deasley gave him a torrid time, and turned him inside out before crossing for Watson to score the winner.

Andrews was still shouting abuse at him when Berwick kicked off again. I've never seen him so angry. Maybe it was just an off day but he was absolutely dreadful.

Archived