Montrose vs Berwick

Huge game at Links park for Montrose. Shields has a lot of questions to answer from recent performances. Part of me wants to lose if I'm honest, Shields is dragging this team down to his level which is much below us. I feel he might have to go if he suffers a loss on Tuesday.

Tuesday night without a home win since god knows when. We will be lucky if there is 200 fans there....

Harkeness, densely and McCord all to start and we will claim a result. We need to start playing the guys who want to play football.

Paul Watsons play is so slow so I would leave him out and bring some pace up front with scotty Johnston.

I fear the worst with the teams shields has put on the park this season. We need the glory days back at links park when football was played.

2-1 the mo. McCord free kick and scotty goal mouth scramble.

Mon the Mo!

Shockingly bad result. Awaiting reports.

In all fairness, both teams were not much to write home about and the game was largely a pile of old rubbish. Berwick edged the first half, but looked less composed in the second after we scored, and wasted a few good chances. Both Montrose goals were well taken: some of our recent problems still exist but it was nice to see the team grind it out for the first time in a while.

Next >

I was hearing Savo Milne was on the bench tonight as a trialist?! Does this mean he has left his player/ manager position at Forfar Albion?

Jesus, surely he can't play at this level still. Looked rotten for us and that was a fair while ago now

Fair result on the night. Montrose were more clinical with the chances they had,and in Paul Watson and Ryan McCord had the two most creative players on the park. Watson's goal, a cushsioned volley past Andrews, was a beauty.

Our performance was symbolic of the entire season so far:

1) Failure to capitalise on a good 1st half performance - tick

2) Concede a goal on the stroke of half-time - tick (are the players putting money on this?)

3) Giving up a lead - tick

4) Missing sitters to extend the lead - tick (Willis's far post shank from point blank will haunt me for years)

5) Unexplained dip in performance with 20 minutes to go - tick

6) Subs making the square root of f**k all of a difference - tick

7) Dominating posession (51 v 49% last night) - tick

8) Forcing plenty of corners (9 v 6 last night) but never creating a threat from them - tick

Says elsewhere on this thread that we've fliogged a lead in 15/20 games this season. If the manager and players don't understand where the weaknesses are, and more importantly, have'nt found a solution by now, they should'nt be at the club. If the board are concerned about poor attendances this season and the resultant loss of revenue, they need to pay attention to points 1-8 above. I'm sick of coming home from matches watching the team make the same mistakes time after time after time, and our crowds suggest many others feel the same.

Time for some changes in personnel. Build a team around Jacobs (immense last night), Fairbairn, Young(our other best player last night), Drummond, L Currie, Notman, Gray and Lavery. The jury is out for me on Willis (peripheral last night), Gold, P Currie, the 2 keepers and Tulloch. We need a team with more devilment and fight.

If we need to free up wages to bring new players in during the January window - time to find other homes for Russell (took his goal well but his touch when put clean through suggested he'd forgotten to untie the breeze blocks from his boots), Dalziel, Carse, Horobine & Maxwell (notwithstanding injuries, just has'nt looked interested),

As for the game, we played well enough in the first half and took a deserved lead through Russell's low curler. Willi's head seemed to drop after he missed a sitter, and with the same certainty that we all know some day we'll die, Deasley slotted home in 45+1 after he controlled a long cross from the left and beat the advancing Andrews.

Dargo and Russell both missed sitters in the 2nd half but with Notman and Currie struggling to support their attackers (Lavery was a massive miss) and Watson growing in influence, it was Montrose who started to run the show and create the better chances. I thought Drummond did well on the left and regularly stretched the home rearguard, but it looked like he was forced off by injury. When we go behind these days I have no confidence that we'll recover from it, and despite a prolonged last minute penalty box scramble, that's how it ended up last night.

Going into games with Clyde and Albion Rovers, with the possibility of Lavery and Drummond both being out, it's very difficult to see us getting anything from either game. and that is a depressing indictment of this team's fallibilities.

Fair result on the night. Montrose were more clinical with the chances they had,and in Paul Watson and Ryan McCord had the two most creative players on the park. Watson's goal, a cushsioned volley past Andrews, was a beauty.

2) Concede a goal on the stroke of half-time - tick (are the players putting money on this?)

4) Missing sitters to extend the lead - tick (Willis's far post shank from point blank will haunt me for years)

8) Forcing plenty of corners (9 v 6 last night) but never creating a threat from them - tick

Says elsewhere on this thread that we've fliogged a lead in 15/20 games this season. If the manager and players don't understand where the weaknesses are, and more importantly, have'nt found a solution by now, they should'nt be at the club. If the board are concerned about poor attendances this season and the resultant loss of revenue, they need to pay attention to points 1-8 above. I'm sick of coming home from matches watching the team make the same mistakes time after time after time, and our crowds suggest many others feel the same.

Time for some changes in personnel. Build a team around Jacobs (immense last night), Fairbairn, Young(our other best player last night), Drummond, L Currie, Notman, Gray and Lavery. The jury is out for me on Willis (peripheral last night), Gold, P Currie, the 2 keepers and Tulloch. We need a team with more devilment and fight.

If we need to free up wages to bring new players in during the January window - time to find other homes for Russell (took his goal well but his touch when put clean through suggested he'd forgotten to untie the breeze blocks from his boots), Dalziel, Carse, Horobine & Maxwell (notwithstanding injuries, just has'nt looked interested),

As for the game, we played well enough in the first half and took a deserved lead through Russell's low curler. Willi's head seemed to drop after he missed a sitter, and with the same certainty that we all know some day we'll die, Deasley slotted home in 45+1 after he controlled a long cross from the left and beat the advancing Andrews.

Dargo and Russell both missed sitters in the 2nd half but with Notman and Currie struggling to support their attackers (Lavery was a massive miss) and Watson growing in influence, it was Montrose who started to run the show and create the better chances. I thought Drummond did well on the left and regularly stretched the home rearguard, but it looked like he was forced off by injury. When we go behind these days I have no confidence that we'll recover from it, and despite a prolonged last minute penalty box scramble, that's how it ended up last night.

Going into games with Clyde and Albion Rovers, with the possibility of Lavery and Drummond both being out, it's very difficult to see us getting anything from either game. and that is a depressing indictment of this team's fallibilities.

Willis peripheral? Surely not.....

Sad to read the same reports or watch the same displays time after time. This team needs a big personality in midfield. Or in the Managers seat.

Still, Merry Christmas, eh?

Time is up. Montrose are not a good side.

We clearly have issues and they need sorted asap or it's going to the same old shit once again with an 8th place finish.

Aye, right enough, Montrose are not a good team though strangely still unbeaten against your mob this season.

Utter domination of possession!!

That's the best critique you could come up with?

No. I thought that Berwick actually had more of the possession than 51%. I was merely pointing out that 51% possession does not equate to "dominating possession". For what it's worth I thought you shaded the first half. McIntosh and Deasley were excellent for Montrose and Watsons winner was a superb finish. A draw would probably have been the fairer result, but we needed a win badly so a scrappy win out of a poor game will do me. I still dinnae think that Shields is the right man for the job, said so at his appointment and an underwhelming season so far has proved me right.

Archived