The Dim Duffy TTG Thread

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of the managerial bunch in League One. Careful what you wish for.

Aitken is the best manager in the league, actually. We better appoint him soon or I fear he could end up at Morton.

Duffy has got Morton to top spot. If he can keep it going then he'll not be sacked. Getting beat off Spartans is a total shambles though and is a sackable offence on its own but Jorgeous Jim should be sound if he can keep the league form up.

Hopefully Jumbo Jefferies is axed soon enough and someone with a clue can get us above Genius Duffy and his blue and white masters of League 1. Many Ton fans will argue they have a better team than us. I don't think that's the case. We have a squad that should be comfortably winning the league but Jefferies' tactics is making sure we aren't going to do that. Playing our best players might help also. We are majorly under-achieving and letting terrible teams roll us over with simple tactics.

With the history between Aitken and Morton I honestly thought they'd have gone for him in the summer.

The pressure is on Duffy but I doubt he'll be sacked anytime soon. His substitutions are baffling to not only the fans, but the players. When he brought Orr on yesterday Lee Kilday shouts down the touchline "Who the fucks up front" :lol: just about the only bit of entertainment yesterday.

The problem yesterday seemed clear to everyone apart from Duffy. The midfield was no where to be seen in the second half. Our two best players in my opinion, Jamie McCluskey and Mark Russell, were taken off when they were the only ones creating anything. Yet Stefan McCluskey who managed to break down every attack by himself was moved wide right then sent off 5 minutes later.

He could've replaced McKee with Robbie Crawford, or taken off Stefan and had a five-man midfield to gain some control.

He can't change games, makes ineffective or (extremely) poorly-timed substitutions, hasn't signed well despite having a blank canvas and a big wage budget, and has made some of the most baffling decisions I've seen since McInally started Kenny McLean away to Peterhead in the playoffs.

Don't care if we're top of the league, or even if we win it. Big changes are needed at this club, and we can start with getting Duffy out the door. TTG.

Top of the table, but Jim Duffy is "totally inept in every single area of managing a football team". Surely that's a contradiction in itself?

Nope: it just highlights the dreadful standard of this league so far this season, and the fact that even a trained chimp could do a passing job as manager of a full-time club with a considerably larger budget than 7 of the 9 other teams in a division. Jim McInally after all 'achieved' 3rd, 2nd and 1st place finishes in this league: he was, and remains, an utterly incompetent football manager, and should have been sacked within months rather than squandering two full years and a giant stack of money to get out of this division.

Cup exits like yours might be grim but I saw Spartans a couple times in preseason and they're far from terrible on that pitch.

Of course not, they're a decent side. They were however a decent side that were being comfortably controlled in the first half, changed their approach in the second half, and put the Morton defence under serious pressure that it clearly could not handle. At this stage, a competent manager changes his tactics, formation and/or personnel to prevent the inevitable goal. He didn't. He waited until it was too late to control the situation, made a series of ineffectual changes and lost the game

Losing to Spartans is not in itself a sackable offence. Losing a match in the manner of yesterday, an outcome that was directly caused by the performance of Dim 'Jim' Duffy on the touchline, is absolutely a sackable offence.

I should have said that he is performing above my expectations. As you say, we are probably about where we should points wise this season. A new team would be expected to lose a few games at the start of the season, and we've come good (certainly results-wise) since then. Duffy's future at the club could depend on how we react to this defeat.

Funnily enough I suspect the expectations of many fans dropped after we appointed Duffy. I think when we were going down most would have expected to be able to dominate the part time teams with the only real problem coming from Dunfermline. That's just the nature of the divide between full and part time football. Once we appointed Duffy expectations plummeted, but only because we had appointed Duffy.

Aitken has already said he is very happy with Stranraer and his full time job with Rolls Royce is to good to give up for full time football.

He said only a couple of months ago that he'd give that up for a chance to manage full time, and touted himself for the Morton job in May.

He is doing a better job than Jefferies, but that doesn't mean he's doing an acceptable job

Sorry - never meant to give the impression that I thought Duffy was doing a fine job. More a case of "would sir prefer a dose of Ebola or the Black Death?".

I'd have loved to see Aitken at Morton. He was full of passion at Somerset earlier in the season and his side were really well organised. Ayr dominated possession but Stranraer were happy to let them and always looked more dangerous.

Basically, his side were impressive and he's a decent young manager. So obviously, we hired Jim Duffy.

Funnily enough I suspect the expectations of many fans dropped after we appointed Duffy. I think when we were going down most would have expected to be able to dominate the part time teams with the only real problem coming from Dunfermline. That's just the nature of the divide between full and part time football. Once we appointed Duffy expectations plummeted, but only because we had appointed Duffy.

Yeah if anything Duffy's actually benefited from the angry reaction to his appointment and the fact that hardly anyone rates him as a manager. Had we appointed someone who was perceived to be a credible manager they would be under pressure if we were anything less than comfortably clear in second place, as it is we appointed Duffy and there was a genuine expectation from many that we'd fail to make the playoffs, so some will see finishing fourth as a success where it would be a sackable offence for another manager.

Archived