Do You Support Your Local Team?

There were a bunch of junior clubs closer to where i grew up than any senior side. Dunfermline and maybe even falkirk were closer to me than livingston, but i chose them because i feel i had more connection to the local area. I live in stirling now, but if im honest like most lfc fans have nothing but utter contempt for everyone else, just like they do with us :P

Like the OP i grew up supporting Celtic again through religious/pier pressure

For the last few years since moving back to south west scotland after 10 years in England i have been going to Queen of the South and i have never enjoyed my football more.(QOS were my local team growing up but have never been watched regularly until now)

However if i moved to Motherwell,Edinburgh or Dundee i would quite happily watch the closest senior team to where i lived.

I would even watch Celtic if living closest to Celtic Park

Draw the line at watching Rangers though (even if living on Edmiston Drive)

With all that pier pressure I would have chosen Blackpool.

When i grew up everyone around me supported Rangers or Celtic - prob about 80% Rangers. Despite being close to Inverness and Ross County it was all Old firm carry on, i always said i supported Man Utd and never really took to the old firm but would have preferred Rangers as they were the more supported side when i was a kid. Through high school i grew to hate the old firm and the supporters of either side as i saw the bitterness that came with it all too often. I had always supported Calley as i had a family member who could get me tickets in hospitality and my relatives always supported Partick Thistle as that was their local team when they grew up in Glasgow.

Now i live in Edinburgh and support Hibs as they are the local side and i go with a few mates and get on the beers.

Plenty of P&B knobs think you need a school ruler to decide which team you support. They hate it if you disagree.

That's true you have to be compensating for something if you got latch on to a football team 30 miles away to boost your self esteem.

I went to Glesca Uni in 1969 and I lived off Queen Margaret Drive, just behind the BBC in Wilton Street (if any of youse can remember that far back). Firhill was just up the road, and I started going there. Glory and gory days, including a League Cup win in 1971. Been at games when they have been either promoted or relegated in roughly equal numbers since. It's handy if the wife wants to go shopping in Glasgow, and there is a home game on that day, as I can leave her in Buchanan Street at lunchtime, and pick her up again at teatime.

Jags fan, they weren't my local team but my Dad's local team when he was growing up. My Dad's side of the family would go to most games so was a good family day out. Went to a few Ayr games as they were the local team and still have a soft spot for them but I'm most definetly a Jag.

Like the OP i grew up supporting Celtic again through religious/pier pressure

:lol:

I can just imagine your mates threatening to throw you off a pier for not supporting Celtic.

I live closest to Rangers but there's a river separating so Thistle makes more sense. And I'm not scum.

I was hoping the Rangers situation may have resulted in supporters turning their backs and following their local teams but it seems to have made them even more bitter and hate filled than they were before.

Supporters from Glasgow fair enough as its where they are based but growing up in Inverness and meeting folk from all over, places like Elgin Aberdeen and the rest of the Highlands there were so many Rangers fans which really made me wonder why would a person from the north of Scotland be happy of the achievements of a team in Glasgow anyway? Im probably thinking too much into it but it would have been nice if a good percentage of supporters realised how fucked up the situation all was and chose to turn their backs but it doesnt seem to be the case, not yet anyway

I was born in Falkirk and was taken to watch Falkirk by my dad and uncle. If I moved away my team would still be Falkirk. For me, nothing beats going to the games and standing with your mates and supporting the team and town that we all come from! Great feeling despite seasons mostly ending in disappointment.

My dad was an only child and wasn't interested in football so there was no handing down of allegiance with me. I had various uncles on my mums side that all supported different clubs - Motherwell, Hamilton, Rangers. As a kid I was taken to all three occasionally with Hamilton being the most frequent. It was the Ricky Ferguson, Gerry Phillips, John Brogan era. However if I supported a club at that time it was probably Aberdeen. They were the big team at the time, the one you could watch semi regularly on telly, especially in Europe.

When I was 12 and went to high school I was finally allowed by my mum to go to the football unsupervised. It was a bit more 'dangerous' in those days and my mum had concerns but eventually allowed me. I grew up in one of the villages outside Motherwell and choose Motherwell FC because they were the local team - they were literally the easiest club to get to on the bus. By coincidence Motherwell were newly promoted into the Premier Division that season and have been there ever since, albeit not always through merit alone!

I'd guess I've probably only missed about 50 home matches in nearly 30 years. I even lived down in Sussex for a while and would come up on the London bus to see the games! Wouldn't do that now to be fair!

My one regret is probably not really appreciating the 1991 Cup win as much as I should have. It was pretty early on in my support of the team, I'd been going for about 5 seasons or so at the time. I was happy to win it but at the time I didn't really appreciate how momentous that occasion was. 23 years later I'm still waiting for a repeat and if does ever happen again it will probably mean a lot more to me than it did back then.

Having lives in Edinburgh all my life, it should have been Hearts. Nah, I got landed with saints, cheers family from Perth. :lol:

My mate was the opposite, grew up in perth, but was never given the opportunity to support anyone but hearts. He'll come along with me to mcdiarmid on occasion but says he doesn't enjoy it as much

That's true you have to be compensating for something if you got latch on to a football team 30 miles away to boost your self esteem.

You must have a micropenis if you support a domestic team for any reason other than locality.

Psych 101 for retards!

Already been explained why you would do it about 1000 times in the thread, m8, you want a more competitive game.

Total fanny..

NewDomDom, how do you "treat someone with ignorance", m8?

Also to the guy talking about natonal teams, that's totally fucking different. You don't pick and choose national teams unless you're a shell of a human. The amount of moronic twats in this country that treat domestic loyalties like national loyalties is fucking baffling.

Great job, Scotland, once again you're unique in a way nobody else would want to be!

Give yourself a clap.