Do You Support Your Local Team?

Grew up in north Edinburgh, support Hibs.

Went to University in Aberdeen and attended a few games at Pittodrie with mates who follow the Dons but I still watched Hibs when I could.

Worked in London for a few years and went to a few games at Arsenal, Spurs and Crystal Palace with work colleagues but was more interested in getting news about Hibs. Never really got the English football bug at all.

Now back in Scotland my local side is the Pars who I wish no ill will on but I have a Season Ticket at Easter Road and will for the forseeable.

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I live 522 miles from Pittodrie. My local team is Cardiff Met in the Welsh Premier League. f**k that. 

I live 293 miles (including a stretch of water) from Pittodrie. My local team(s) are Tobermore United and Moyola Park. I like to see them win, but I don't go to see them win.

40 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Same here.

I played football with his brother and nephew. I don't think it's in the book, but anyone who knew them thought his sister was a better footballer than any of them. She was a sprinter if I remember correctly, so probably faster.

Like hearing things like this. I don't really have a problem with Clark to be honest with you. Never let my club down, and was there at an important time. I just like to hear about things from the time, from a different perspective. I also prefer autobiographies that touch a little more on the current affairs of the time outside of football, too.

Edited by Kyle Reese

39 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Same here.

I played football with his brother and nephew. I don't think it's in the book, but anyone who knew them thought his sister was a better footballer than any of them. She was a sprinter if I remember correctly, so probably faster.

She had to be to get away from you. 

Do you find OF fans that don't support their local team actually have a total disdain for them?

I have noticed quite a few times where I know an OF fan from a town, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Dundee, Motherwell and Greenock being ones I can recall where after the other OF side the next team they despise the most is their local team. I kind of get that the fans of these local teams probably give them a hard time for being glory hunters so naturally they would want to wind these people back up. Is this a true judgement or are these OF fans I have met in the minority? 

Edited by ahemps

25 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Do you find OF fans that don't support their local team actually have a total disdain for them?

I have noticed quite a few times where I know an OF fan from a town, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Dundee, Motherwell and Greenock being ones I can recall where after the other OF side the next team they despise the most is their local team. I kind of get that the fans of these local teams probably give them a hard time for being glory hunters so naturally they would want to wind these people back up. Is this a true judgement or are these OF fans I have met in the minority? 

I find the replies when i tell someone who i support are usually one of the below

1.i like to see st mirren win if they’re not playing us

2.i was at hampden 1987

3.i was at hampden 2013

4.i used to support st mirren 

5.oh so you really support celtic 

2 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Absolutely. This is quite common with football autobiographies that are unlikely to hit the best sellers lists. You have to take them for what they are: a glimpse through the eyes of someone who was there. Sandy's is more of a local interest book as far as I am concerned. It covers some important seasons at HMFC, including my very first as a supporter. I wasn't expecting Wordsworth and I wasn't disappointed. Spelling and grammar were worse in Gary MacKay's autobiography.

What about Dave McPerson, who apparently believes we drew with Holland in the 92 Euros.

And he played in the game.

There's no excuse for that. 

19 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

I find the replies when i tell someone who i support are usually one of the below

1.i like to see st mirren win if they’re not playing us

2.i was at hampden 1987

3.i was at hampden 2013

4.i used to support st mirren 

5.oh so you really support celtic 

I was at the semi in 1987

There's also a question about how you define a local team.

From my parents I should have been a Rangers fan.

Geographically I grew up closer to Easter Road but when I went to school everyone was a Hearts fan so I started following them.

Later Meadowbank were the local team. I did watch them midweek or if Hearts weren't playing but would never have supported them full time.

It did give me an entirely rational hatred of Livingston though.

On 29/11/2014 at 21:22, invergowrie arab said:

My nearest team is Dundee but I don't support them because they are Shite.

Gloryhunting fuckbags like you are the problem, getting on the coaches all the way to Tannadice when Dens Park is on your doorstep!

16 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

What about Dave McPerson, who apparently believes we drew with Holland in the 92 Euros.

And he played in the game.

There's no excuse for that. 

Lol. No idea, I didn't even know he had a book. The old physio from the time Alan Rae, has a pretty decent autobiography. Again quite a unique perspective: Hands on Hearts.

14 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

There's also a question about how you define a local team.

From my parents I should have been a Rangers fan.

Geographically I grew up closer to Easter Road but when I went to school everyone was a Hearts fan so I started following them.

Later Meadowbank were the local team. I did watch them midweek or if Hearts weren't playing but would never have supported them full time.

It did give me an entirely rational hatred of Livingston though.

In general, I don't see the same issue with people following a smaller club, than the big local one on their doorstep. Except if they choose to follow Hibs instead of Heart of Midlothian. We have a fair old support in Fife and places like that, so we don't just get adversely affected by it, we benefit from it too. It still leaves a bad taste when Edinburgh kids choose to follow the OF though. All the logic and reason in the world won't stop me feeling that.

24 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

In general, I don't see the same issue with people following a smaller club, than the big local one on their doorstep. Except if they choose to follow Hibs instead of Heart of Midlothian. We have a fair old support in Fife and places like that, so we don't just get adversely affected by it, we benefit from it too. It still leaves a bad taste when Edinburgh kids choose to follow the OF though. All the logic and reason in the world won't stop me feeling that.

It does leave a bad taste but I've often wondered if the likes of Dunfermline fans feel the same about us  although it is a smaller scale.

32 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Lol. No idea, I didn't even know he had a book. The old physio from the time Alan Rae, has a pretty decent autobiography. Again quite a unique perspective: Hands on Hearts.

That was a good book.

Another one is Kevin Twaddle's book.

A lot of its about his gambling problems but he had an interesting route to Hearts. 

2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

It does leave a bad taste but I've often wondered if the likes of Dunfermline fans feel the same about us  although it is a smaller scale.

There are plenty of people in Fife, Livi, East Lothian, Borders etc that support Hibs and Hearts - much of it because so many people cant afford a family home here and move out. A bit like there are a lot of Spurs fans in places like Essex?

I cant see people having any animosity over that - its not even in the same galaxy as people choosing to support one of the gruesome twosome.

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

There are plenty of people in Fife, Livi, East Lothian, Borders etc that support Hibs and Hearts - much of it because so many people cant afford a family home here and move out. A bit like there are a lot of Spurs fans in places like Essex?

I cant see people having any animosity over that - its not even in the same galaxy as people choosing to support one of the gruesome twosome.

I did the research. If everybody supported their local team, as per the OP, Hibs and Hearts would be the gruesome twosome.

And since it might be on-topic for this thread, here's the population of Scotland divvied up by who their nearest league teams are, as far as the postcode database and census can be ascertained (this is a couple of years old, so Brechin is there and Kelty isn't, but that probably doesn't make a huge difference. Edinburgh City moving back to Meadowbank might, though).

LocalTeams.thumb.png.696a9d66c5378446b2b6176bb0f0e4f6.png

Edited by Aim Here