Do You Support Your Local Team?

On 12/10/2021 at 15:49, Aim Here said:

I did the research. If everybody supported their local team, as per the OP, Hibs and Hearts would be the gruesome twosome.

And since it might be on-topic for this thread, here's the population of Scotland divvied up by who their nearest league teams are, as far as the postcode database and census can be ascertained (this is a couple of years old, so Brechin is there and Kelty isn't, but that probably doesn't make a huge difference. Edinburgh City moving back to Meadowbank might, though).

Hibs would become a Leith team for Leith people 

image.png.112ee61ce53c07554fb79cf61ba85e3e.png

Hearts also lose bits of the grange and Alnwickhill but with Berwick Rangers out ot the way Edinburgh City are lined up to lure supporters from Arthurs Seat all the way to the border

44 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Or maybe the guy just went to a game with his mum and they both took an interest in it from that point on and something to bond over . He explained it was for a birthday gift 

doesn’t have to be some deep under lying meaning 😂 

I think you and @Al Bboth took it a bit too seriously. It was a joke about being 17, not a slight on his upbringing.

1 minute ago, Al B said:

1 - As stated, my parents had just split up and my dad had moved abroad for work. Plenty 17 year old kids in that scenario would go off the rails trying to deal with it. I dealt with it by trying to get closer with my mum and find something we could do together.

I never said she carried me there or wheeled me about in a fucking wheelchair for fucks sake.

I think everyone is being a bit harsh on you.

Did she get you the snowballs you wanted, or disappoint you with an empire biscuit?

2 minutes ago, Al B said:

1 - As stated, my parents had just split up and my dad had moved abroad for work. Plenty 17 year old kids in that scenario would go off the rails trying to deal with it. I dealt with it by trying to get closer with my mum and find something we could do together.

I never said she carried me there or wheeled me about in a fucking wheelchair for fucks sake.

I never said you did, I was merely giving a possible explanation of why your mother went to the football with you. Keep your fucking hair on mr chippy

We fostered a young lad and although he's now living elsewhere he wouldn't be allowed at a match unaccompanied (he's 25 now) due to his learning disability

53 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Hibs would become a Leith team for Leith people 

image.png.112ee61ce53c07554fb79cf61ba85e3e.png

Hearts also lose bits of the grange and Alnwickhill but with Berwick Rangers out ot the way Edinburgh City are lined up to lure supporters from Arthurs Seat all the way to the border

Since I know there's nothing Hearts fans like more than to find some tenuous excuse for calling Hibs the wee team, I dug out the original files and updated them to take into account the recent changes re: Brechin, Kelty and Edinburgh City. I'm not sure if my coordinates catch the exact centre circle of neoMeadowbank (satellite images still have the old one), but it won't make much odds. Edinburgh City are clearly the second force in Edinburgh fitba' now.

Updatedversion.thumb.png.d52fb094a5e144360aa6f8abf39acfd6.png

Do hibs supporters outnumber hearts in the actual city area ? 

based on no research at all other than through my own personal experience of people I know . Folk from Edinburgh I know and colleagues in our Edinburgh office  tend to be Hibs fans or Rangers fans . Is this just sheer coincidence or or are Hearts fans all out in the capitals outskirts and commuter towns

Edited by Forever_blueco

29 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Do hibs supporters outnumber hearts in the actual city area ? 

based on no research at all other than through my own personal experience of people I know . Folk from Edinburgh I know and colleagues in our Edinburgh office  tend to be Hibs fans or Rangers fans . Is this just sheer coincidence or or are Hearts fans all out in the capitals outskirts and commuter towns

It’s something that’s long been debated. I’ve lived in Edinburgh all my life though, and it’s just really mixed. Loads of Hearts supporters in Leith and East Lothian, and plenty Hibs supporters in Livingston and the western reaches of the city. People generally move around a fair bit throughout their lives, often within the same city and surrounding areas. It’s difficult to pick an area of Edinburgh and say that it’s mostly one or the other, and even if it was, it’d likely change at least once in any given decade. 

22 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

It’s something that’s long been debated. I’ve lived in Edinburgh all my life though, and it’s just really mixed. Loads of Hearts supporters in Leith and East Lothian, and plenty Hibs supporters in Livingston and the western reaches of the city. People generally move around a fair bit throughout their lives, often within the same city and surrounding areas. It’s difficult to pick an area of Edinburgh and say that it’s mostly one or the other, and even if it was, it’d likely change at least once in any given decade. 

Yeah it’s probably just coincidence . Had a few mates who studied through in Edinburgh and now stay there so been various pub crawls and nights out in Edinburgh and it just seems that every time I have ended up in a conversation about football with some randomers they have always turned out to be Hibs fans as mentioned same with work colleagues etc. 

maybe Hearts fans are just avoiding me 

Edited by Forever_blueco

1 hour ago, Namond Brice said:

My experience is that there were generally more Hibs fans in the North and East, the South was roughly 50/50 and the West of the city and into Midlothian and West Lothian was Hearts.

The geographic split is certainly real but quite how dramatic it is is hard to determine.

there was a natural experiment in 2012

While heading out from the city centre to the cup final we saw loads of maroon colours but just one sole instance of some corstorphine hibees. Presumably the reverse would have been seen if we had been heading out of town in the other direction 

we had to stop in Broxburn to pick someone up and while Edinburgh had been buzzing with cup final fever all week Broxburn seemed to just be having a quiet Saturday 

once you get past the bypass you’re in shitty small town Scotland and that’s natural old firm territory 

47 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The geographic split is certainly real but quite how dramatic it is is hard to determine.

While heading out from the city centre to the cup final we saw loads of maroon colours but just one sole instance of some corstorphine hibees. Presumably the reverse would have been seen if we had been heading out of town in the other direction 

we had to stop in Broxburn to pick someone up and while Edinburgh had been buzzing with cup final fever all week Broxburn seemed to just be having a quiet Saturday 

once you get past the bypass you’re in shitty small town Scotland and that’s natural old firm territory 

Thats because Broxburn was and is rife with Old Firm supporters. Yes there are a few Hearts and Hibs fans but theyre vastly outnumbered by the hordes who get buses through to the cesspits every Saturday. 

41 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Yeah, it's nowhere near as defined now than it was say 25-30 years ago. Obviously the further West you go, the more the OF start to dominate, although when you get past the bypass, the likes of Currie, Balerno, Kirkliston and Queensferry are prime cardigan wearing, rover driving, jammy wearing Hearts territories.

Thats because Broxburn was and is rife with Old Firm supporters. Yes there are a few Hearts and Hibs fans but theyre vastly outnumbered by the hordes who get buses through to the cesspits every Saturday. 

That’s why we had to stop there to pick someone up

He didn’t know anyone in Broxburn he could get a lift from

Yeah, it's nowhere near as defined now than it was say 25-30 years ago. Obviously the further West you go, the more the OF start to dominate, although when you get past the bypass, the likes of Currie, Balerno, Kirkliston and Queensferry are prime cardigan wearing, rover driving, jammy wearing Hearts territories.

I’m sure you’ve got a good reason for prowling round Juniper Green at night peering into bedroom windows to see what nightwear people have on

I just can’t imagine what it is

A simple "yes, I wear Hearts jammys, what of it ?" would have sufficed here tbh lads.

I don’t, but if I’m unfortunate enough to spend my twilight years living in a suburban bungalow I may invest in a set.

I’ll also be careful to always close my curtains because there’s some right weirdos about