Do You Support Your Local Team?

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Elgin City is not the nearest senior club for the likes of Lossiemouth, Forres or Buckie.

Thats twice you've pointed that out. The first time it was a fair pull up for bad phrasing on my part. Now its just pointless dallying. You can repeat it all you want, his table is about SPFL clubs

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Pedant. But a fair cop.

However unless I missed them all being elected to the SPFL recently its completely irrelevant.

Nothing pedantic about it.

You're the one that mentioned senior club, if you meant SPFL club you should have said so.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats twice you've pointed that out. The first time it was a fair pull up for bad phrasing on my part. Now its just pointless dallying. You can repeat it all you want, his table is about SPFL clubs

I'll point it out a third time if you continue ignore that you brought up "senior".

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Nothing pedantic about it.

You're the one that mentioned senior club, if you meant SPFL club you should have said so.

We're having a debate clearly about SPFL clubs. You pulled me up for a clumsy phrase. Fair play, I salute your pedantry. Now you're just labouring it. Thats 4 times now.

Kirkcaldy born and bred, so raith will always be my team. Living in East lothian these days, I've got a lot of junior teams on my doorstep - musselburgh, tranent, Prestonpans,  haddington, Newtowngrange, to name a few. Been to a few musselburgh games, there's a wee raith connection - joe hammill is the manager- and John mglynns nephew davie was the manager a few years back.  Obviously I also have the hibs and hearts options, and most of my colleagues are hibees, but it's Just never appealled to me.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I thought it was "Hands Off Hibs". Or is that something else?

Yeah, something else completely. You’re thinking of the time David Duff tried to kill off Hibs, but Wallace Mercer saved them. Lots of Hearts supporters even helped save them. They repaid us years later by trying to have us liquidated. Never turn your back on a Hibby. 

Can't be arsed to check if I've replied to this already, it is an old thread, however in short... no. My local team growing up would have been either Thistle or Rangers. Clearly the OF was not an option, at that time in Glasgow as a kid you were regularly given a kicking if you said the wrong side, and I had no interest in following them as even at a very young age I realised both were full of an utter cuntish support.

I have no football supporting family members, I have never been taken to a game, I've had to do that myself and it was the same for choosing a side. Ultimately I choose St Mirren because I liked the strip, it really is nothing more than that. So in summary, self preservation, a dislike even at a young age to OF supporters and a natty strip did it for me.

Edited by Ric

I always find these arguments interesting - I don’t support my local team. Ibrox and Hampden are both closer to where I grew up than Firhill, while Celtic Park is probably about the same distance away.  That’s excluding all the junior/non league senior sides which would have been much closer as well - Arthurlie probably the closest. 

I will almost certainly never be told to support my local team though. I think the rule is as long as your team are mostly shite and hardly ever win anything, support who you like.

Closest team now is Hearts, I think, but I’ve never been in the home end at Tynecastle, and, if I have kids, they absolutely will not be supporting Hearts. 

13 minutes ago, Al B said:

Never lived in or near Motherwell, and have no family there.

Im assuming by the thread that some people are interested in the stories behind these things, so here's mine:

***tl;dr - im one of those c*nts that don't support their local team***

My Dad loved football, but more playing as opposed to watching, and he was a chef to trade so was never able to go to (or take me to) games as he'd be working on Saturdays. As a result he never really had a "team" so to speak and would probably have just classed himself as a Scotland fan.

From that I was never really influenced to have a team as a kid, I'd just jump at the chance to go to a football match wherever I could. Spent my childhood going to games with various friends and their dads, according to who they supported; Brockville with Falkirk supporting pals and their dads, Ibrox/Parkhead with Rangers/Celtic supporting pals and their dads. My Uncle is Jimmy Bone so went to St Mirren a few times whilst he was there, used to go on a Hearts bus leaving from Stirling sometimes whilst he was assistant there...basically any match I could tag along to, I'd go.

Also when me and my pals were kids and you wanted a football top, no-one's family really had any money so your mum would take you to the football stall at Falkirk market and you'd get whatever top was the cheapest, or if you wanted football bedding etc, the same would apply...regardless of what club they were.

There's actually a photo of me from when I was 8 or 9, sitting on my bed which had an Aberdeen duvet cover on it, I'm wearing a St. Johnstone top, and over that I'm wearing a tracksuit top that's in Dundee United colours, but bizarrely just says "Dundee" on the front. That's Falkirk Market and mums who don't know the first thing about football for you.

I absolutely loved tagging along to all those different grounds, seeing different teams and the different atmospheres at each one, but beyond that I never really felt any sort of feeling or emotional connection with any of them. I didn't know that existed, I just loved going to watch the football.

Until one day my best mate said they were going to Fir Park to watch his Uncle John (Philliben) play, and asked if I wanted to go. Jumped at the chance as always, but for some reason it just felt different. As soon as we parked and started the walk to the ground...arriving at the stadium...going through the turnstiles...it just felt really really different, and there was something about it that wasn't like the other clubs/grounds/matches that I'd been to that my primary school brain couldn't explain. Not sure my adult brain could even now! But it was the first time I actually felt connected with a club in any way, and although I had no way of going to more games, theirs were the results I started to look for every week.

Fast forward a year or so to '91, Motherwell won the Scottish Cup and for the first time at school I heard people talking about them rather than Rangers, Celtic, Falkirk, Aberdeen...and I just remember feeling this sense of pride that everyone was talking about them.

Fast forward another few years and sadly my mum and dad split up, my dad moving abroad to work, and my mum trying to find ways to fill the role of both parents to 17 year old me and my sister. She'd never had the slightest interest in football at all...hated it, and generally just thought it was ridiculous, but when my birthday rolled around and I said that all I wanted was to be able to go to a Motherwell game, she agreed to take me, mostly as a way of trying to find ways to connect and fill a dad-shaped gap.

We went, I absolutely loved it, and I don't know if it was just exposure to all the things you get about matchday that you don't realise from TV, but she said it "wasnt as bad as she'd expected", which was great!

Over the next year or so I pestered her to take me back and every so often she agreed...and those times started to get closer and closer together.

Until the present day where this boy who had no team and his football-hating mum, are now in their 28th season of going week in-week out travelling all over the place together following our club, and have a mum who could sit and debate the ins-and-outs of a False 9 or a flexible back 5 with the best of them. Even if I can't go for whatever reason she'll head off around the country by herself and text me her commentary from the stands. We've seen everything from scraping an undeserved draw away at Dumbarton when they were bottom of the bottom division, to hearing the Champions League music play over the Fir Park tannoy as the teams ran out.

I genuinely hate to think how different my life and specifially the relationship with my mum would be had it not been for Motherwell. Genuinely responsible for making it what it is.

Not really, no...

ETA: That's probably the best post on this thread to date.

Edited by Jacksgranda

16 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Erm, even worse, he lives in Perth and Kinross if he is in Invergowrie. Should be a Saints fan. 

It's only guff like cricket where you are loyal to your county.

Anyway when I was growing up Dundee had secured lebensraum all the way to Longforgan.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's only guff like cricket where you are loyal to your county.

Anyway when I was growing up Dundee had secured lebensraum all the way to Longforgan.

Had to Google lebensraum! Going to steal the word..

Ach, back in the day when you were growing up your team were decent, but things change. Like your lebensraum suggests, Perthshire taking over Dundee geographically and as the centre of football in the region 😀