Play-off?

Would you like to see us adopt a play-off system for the Premiership title?

I used to be extremely negative towards such an idea, but honestly the more I think about it the better an idea it seems to be to me.

Celtic (and formerly Rangers) are always going to dominate in Scotland, I am not going to get all melodramatic about this, we are not the only one or two team league in the world and some countries have had it exactly as bad if not worse for as long as us (Serbia for example with Red Star and Partizan). However a new title winner occasionally would be nice to see.

My idea would be for top 4 to qualify for the play-off.

Two one legged matches take place at Hampden between 1st and 4th placed teams and 2nd and 3rd placed teams.
Winners of these matches take part in final at Hampden for league title.

Yes, Celtic would still win the title more years than not, but it gives 3 fresh teams a realistic chance to win the league each year. We've seen these teams win cup competitions in the recent past, they are more than capable of beating Celtic in a one legged match for the league title.

It doesn't make the league campaign irrelevant, you still need to qualify for the play-off. Your position within top 4 also determines the quality of opponent you will face in the first play-off match.

It is not just America and Australia who have a play-off system before somebody claims this (not that it's a valid criticism anyway), I believe Belgium also have a play-off system in place although it's different in structure to what I'm envisioning.

Ideally I see this taking place in a 16 team league where teams play each other twice for a total of 30 games (keep it short and sweet) and the pathetic and pointless League Cup is abolished.

But I feel it would work just as well with current format.

We should just change the rules so Celtic and Rangers are hit with a 50 point deduction when they finish in the top 2 places. Would make the league a lot more competitive IMO.

Should also look at an 18 team league and use free beer to bring the fans back. If they were allowed to stand than that'd be a bonus. Price of £10 and standing would quadruple the crowds.

Also, a sectional league cup where clubs have to field 10 under 19s would help the youth system. American Penalties at half time and full time.

Fucking Doncaster is a bigot tho

We should just change the rules so Celtic and Rangers are hit with a 50 point deduction when they finish in the top 2 places. Would make the league a lot more competitive IMO.

Please be serious..

I won't warn you again.

Also the play-off for promotion needs to be changed as well.

Two legs for every single game (INCLUDING THE FINAL) is just bloody stupid.

One legged matches are just more exciting, that's why finals are always one legged.

All matches in play-off should be one leg and played at Hampden in my opinion.

Should also look at an 18 team league and use free beer to bring the fans back. If they were allowed to stand than that'd be a bonus. Price of £10 and standing would quadruple the crowds.

Also, a sectional league cup where clubs have to field 10 under 19s would help the youth system. American Penalties at half time and full time.

Fucking Doncaster is a bigot tho

You forgot regional leagues.

Would you like to see us adopt a play-off system for the Premiership title?

I used to be extremely negative towards such an idea, but honestly the more I think about it the better an idea it seems to be to me.

Celtic (and formerly Rangers) are always going to dominate in Scotland, I am not going to get all melodramatic about this, we are not the only one or two team league in the world and some countries have had it exactly as bad if not worse for as long as us (Serbia for example with Red Star and Partizan). However a new title winner occasionally would be nice to see.

My idea would be for top 4 to qualify for the play-off.

Two one legged matches take place at Hampden between 1st and 4th placed teams and 2nd and 3rd placed teams.

Winners of these matches take part in final at Hampden for league title.

Yes, Celtic would still win the title more years than not, but it gives 3 fresh teams a realistic chance to win the league each year. We've seen these teams win cup competitions in the recent past, they are more than capable of beating Celtic in a one legged match for the league title.

It doesn't make the league campaign irrelevant, you still need to qualify for the play-off. Your position within top 4 also determines the quality of opponent you will face in the first play-off match.

It is not just America and Australia who have a play-off system before somebody claims this (not that it's a valid criticism anyway), I believe Belgium also have a play-off system in place although it's different in structure to what I'm envisioning.

Ideally I see this taking place in a 16 team league where teams play each other twice for a total of 30 games (keep it short and sweet) and the pathetic and pointless League Cup is abolished.

But I feel it would work just as well with current format.

If what Belgium have is called a play-off, then we have a play-off too.

If what Belgium have is called a play-off, then we have a play-off too.

It is called a play-off.

And I guess you could say we already do have a play-off.

Although an important thing to note would be that in Belgium when they split every team in the championship play-offs points total gets halved.

Oddly they have about seventy play-offs there (for places in Europe and other things).

No league in Europe has title playoffs except San Marino (and Monaco if you include non-members). They're micro-states, and they divide all their clubs into 'parallel pools' in which clubs play each other twice and clubs in the other pool(s) once, IIRC.

I like playoffs, but I don't want title playoffs. Top is champion/promoted, bottom is relegated.

Did you even read my comments, you bloody retard.

I already mentioned Belgium have play-offs.

Other leagues doing it or not doing it is completely irrelevant anyway, they don't face the challenges to competitiveness that Scotland does.
Except Serbia, I'm not sure whether they have had a play-off or not.

Think they done it at one point maybe.

Archived