P&B Out of the Loop

Both. There were tits and everything, although I remember them being quite proportionate..

I swear you were around during that period   :huh:

I was - it was 2013 i just didn't notice there was a war with Mumsnet that was newsworthy. 

Presumably one of the Mumsnetters worked at the Record, and they'll print any old shite.

It clearly wasn't a P&Ber, as the aforementioned tits weren't included.

Insipid, lacking bite, lacklustre and rapidly heading for the bin. Enough about Dundee's on pitch performance. How the hell was the pie?

Pie 3

Mince Pie served at Glebe Park, Brechin. Brechin City FC 2 - 2 Dundee FC AET. Brechin won 3-1 on penalties 24/08/10

It's been several years since I ventured up to Glebe Park. Those were happier times with Dundee cruising 3-1 past their close neighbours. It was a lovely evening as I entered the ground and I was pleased to see not much had changed since my last foray. The Hedge End was still resplendant in all it's terraced 'can smoke a fag if you want' glory. Myself and my travelling companion Al, a fellow connisseur of fine pies, did worry at the early length of the queue snaking from the stall. I'm never one for buying a pie too early. It's often a recipe for cold, undercooked crud. Would have been a schoolboy error to have come all this way only to have been told a sellout had occurred at half time though so we joined the line.

Let's look at the facilities first.

dsc00381x.jpg

This is far from the best shot from a crap cameraphone but to have stepped back and given you a full viewing would have involved photographing about 70 people, some of who may have had a warrant out for them so I thought better of it. Think of the Blue Tin Shed from Dens Park but red, freshly painted and with a far more welcoming serving area. The place looked spotless inside and was staffed by an older gentleman who appeared to be so happy serving snacks, shouting out the prices to paying punters and handing them over with a cheery smile I thought he may have either escaped from nearby Sunnyside Hospital or may just be tripping balls. I'm used to far more surly staff. He commanded two chirpy, perky young girls. A man of my age felt a tremble like Glitter has probably felt several times in his life as the young girl who served me bent down giving me a view down her flimsy, loose fitting blouse. So far, so good.

We walked around the rather unusual double serving hatch-ended shed and my eyes met the condiment serving area.

dsc00383b.jpg

I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing here. Proper tomato and brown sauce, not only that but the premier brands! Finding this hard to take in I instructed Al to slap some HP on his while I went for Heinz. The intention being we could both sample and see if it was the "real deal" and not some repackaged effort. It was! Mana from football catering heaven! The area was also clean and seemed to be regularly tended through the evening as it was still spotless when I walked past to take a piss a good 70 minutes into the game. I was suprised to see they were actually still selling pies as a lot of 1st Division grounds pretty much shut up shop after half-time. Most impressive.

Pricing.

dsc00384nr.jpg

I thought I may let you all down with getting this photograph as the price list was stationed at the back of the stall, stood boldy on a load of pies. I had to sneak up to the staffs hatch and take it at a narrow angle on the fly as doing it from the front would probably have involved me going on the Sex Offenders Register for taking a sideboob picture of the aforementioned young girl in a very low cut blouse. As you can see it was worth the effort. A price list of wonderful simplicity. No fannying around with pies of various varieties. It's just "Pie - £1.40". Fucking sorted. As you can see the rest of the prices are very reasonable. Crisps and sweets costing pretty much the same as any other shop. I can also comment on the bovril which came in a huge cup and was hot enough to throw off a castles ramparts onto your foes below if the boiling oil ever ran short. Lovely stuff with some pepper in it.

Let's look at the pie itself.

Presentation: A few slight hitches with the pie coming on a serviette. I'm a tin tray man myself. If a pie is cooked properly it shouldn't really matter though and this was certainly a cut above anything else I've been served up to now this season. This pie was fairly well heated. It wouldn't cause scald injuries but it loses 1 mark for still not being piping hot. The fact it was just as the game was kicking off may have contributed to this. The bottom felt a little soggy and the napkin was soon absorbing some animal trans-fats before I'd taken my position on the hedge and started to eat. Solid effort though. 6/10

Crust: Not as well fired on the top as I would have liked and the bottom was a bit of a soggy let down but the sides were perfect and this crust tasted lovely. This was an optimal 8oz/6oz flour/marge blend a baker would know like the back of his hand in full effect. Not cooked to perfection but well above average. 7/10

Filling: This pies high point. Mince is mince wherever you go but this was warm and succulent and you could taste the pepper and other spices that had gone into it. Once you munched further and the highly unusual Branded Sauce came into play with the pastry you knew this pie was a tasty treat. 8/10

Consistency: Not much to say here as if you get a wobbly pie or, worse, a full-on collapsing grease meat-pouch you best get it in a tin tray or it's scalded jeans time. No worries here with the pie simple to eat off the napkin. The lift test was easily passed as I discarded my napkin quickly and ate it in hand, the slightly soggier pastry on the bottom was beginning to stick to it but the threat of a collapsing meat tragedy was never a worry. 7/10

Overall: 7/10 Excellent effort with only some slight problems on presentation, heating and crust really letting it down. With clean facilities, friendly staff, proper sauce and the high possibility of a flash of tit, Brechin are the early frontrunners in this season of pies.

dsc00385e.jpg

Presumably one of the Mumsnetters worked at the Record, and they'll print any old shite.

It clearly wasn't a P&Ber, as the aforementioned tits weren't included.

Aye - said Mumsnet had won and didn't mention the chebs.

I'm sure I've said before but it was a Mumsnetter with a grudge against Sparklingbrook that actually posted the pic. Some lass basically got her tits out to make another poster look bad!

Aye - said Mumsnet had won and didn't mention the chebs.

I'm sure I've said before but it was a Mumsnetter with a grudge against Sparklingbrook that actually posted the pic. Some lass basically got her tits out to make another poster look bad!

Aye, I mind her saying that. Wee bit too much Lambrini IMO.

Always possible it was an in-house job, although I think Adam might have said something.

Shining Knight on a white horse he was for those ladies, until they slagged him off. :lol:

That thread really was the end for Big Gus, he couldn't cope with the pressure of posting in the big league forum and bit by bit his head just disappeared from his shoulders.

Big Gus was gone the moment dundeebarrys book got published while his pie reviews started getting ignored. Jealousy got the better of him.

I doubt there's been any whooshing.  While we've never broken out into full on e-bickering me and craigkillie have swapped barbs in the past so if he was going to pick a stooge to do a troll I doubt he'd chose me.

I'm very flattered.  I don't post here nearly as much as I used to as work means I only get to a handful of Dundee games these days and away days are especially scarce.  Barry deserves a nod because it was reading his blog that inspired me to to get back to doing some writing again and I think the combination of food and Scottish football and my shit comedy maybe appealed to the "everyman" more than his twisted tales set in a backdrop of deep Dundee folklore.  

On some of the other "hits" I've had the Rebecca Black thing was memorable and some credit must go to Lichtie as you need someone to "play off" to make these threads funny and, while he might not have known much about it, he did that role well.  I also enjoyed my "Deathrtap Dungeon" thread.  That was a couple of evenings fun.

I never expected to get on this list as I don't feel I've been very influentual as such, I don't post here enough and under 3K posts in 6 years is testament to that I suppose.  If it had been top 50 best posters I would have maybe hoped to have picked up a few votes but I'm not complaining.  Thanks to everyone who voted for me and top work Craig on the thread which has been very entertaining.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mumsnet-take-pie-bovril-over-2841710#117Ekjd4z4PaI0wV.97

i was so proud of this place when reading and wish i was a part of it.

I always loved this bit:

Some of the 25,000 members of Pie and Bovril thought it would be funny to post fake queries on Mumsnet.

They asked daft questions about “eating mushy peas with placentaâ€

Edited by Hedgecutter

I doubt there's been any whooshing. While we've never broken out into full on e-bickering me and craigkillie have swapped barbs in the past so if he was going to pick a stooge to do a troll I doubt he'd chose me.

I'm very flattered. I don't post here nearly as much as I used to as work means I only get to a handful of Dundee games these days and away days are especially scarce. Barry deserves a nod because it was reading his blog that inspired me to to get back to doing some writing again and I think the combination of food and Scottish football and my shit comedy maybe appealed to the "everyman" more than his twisted tales set in a backdrop of deep Dundee folklore.

On some of the other "hits" I've had the Rebecca Black thing was memorable and some credit must go to Lichtie as you need someone to "play off" to make these threads funny and, while he might not have known much about it, he did that role well. I also enjoyed my "Deathrtap Dungeon" thread. That was a couple of evenings fun.

I never expected to get on this list as I don't feel I've been very influentual as such, I don't post here enough and under 3K posts in 6 years is testament to that I suppose. If it had been top 50 best posters I would have maybe hoped to have picked up a few votes but I'm not complaining. Thanks to everyone who voted for me and top work Craig on the thread which has been very entertaining.

Magnificent.