"I'm Going to Report You..."

Hedgecutter

In fairness, customers are, almost without exception, complete and utter c***s.

Of course, the public are fucking morons in general. This isn't limited to customers but also jumped up wee fannies in call centres/shops as well.

If you don't want to do a job where you have to interact and deal with the public get into a profession where you are encouraged to be a c**t.

Policeman/football pundit might be a good start.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think everyone should have to work in a customer service position at least once in their lives. Preferably while young. In my experience it's the ones who have never done that which are the most obnoxious when it comes to dealing with people they deem 'beneath them'.

I work for a public authority and had one recently where a 'customer' had regular minor flooding in her solum, cause unknown, and was insistent that we must be responsible for investigating and resolving the problem.

It was obvious from the get-go that it was FAR more likely to be a private issue but we had to go through the process of proving it wasn't our responsibility, which we did.

She wasn't happy with being told she would have to fix her own problem, so got Environmental Health involved, obviously thinking that would 'scare' us into backing down. It didn't, we provided EH with our findings and they agreed with us.

She then contacted the office of her local MP (high profile ******, currently looking to switch to Holyrood politics), thinking that would work. It didn't - they were told the situation and that we wouldn't be doing anything, which they accepted.

Some folk just aren't prepared to accept that they have to sort their own problems, especially if it's going to cost them a fair bit of time and/or money.

I work for a public authority and had one recently where a 'customer' had regular minor flooding in her solum, cause unknown, and was insistent that we must be responsible for investigating and resolving the problem.

It was obvious from the get-go that it was FAR more likely to be a private issue but we had to go through the process of proving it wasn't our responsibility, which we did.

She wasn't happy with being told she would have to fix her own problem, so got Environmental Health involved, obviously thinking that would 'scare' us into backing down. It didn't, we provided EH with our findings and they agreed with us.

She then contacted the office of her local MP (high profile ******, currently looking to switch to Holyrood politics), thinking that would work. It didn't - they were told the situation and that we wouldn't be doing anything, which they accepted.

Some folk just aren't prepared to accept that they have to sort their own problems, especially if it's going to cost them a fair bit of time and/or money.

Maybe she should have tried NHS 24 instead?

Having had to google what solum meant, I think she might have a point.

She'll almost certainly be charged for drainage as part of her water charges included in her council tax.

Sounds like she's paying for a service and not actually receiving it.

Personally, I think everyone should have to work in a customer service position at least once in their lives. Preferably while young. In my experience it's the ones who have never done that which are the most obnoxious when it comes to dealing with people they deem 'beneath them'.

You learn quickly how to wind aresholes up rotten whilst being exquisitely polite for the sake of the recording. Normal people you help as best you can.

When we were kids messing around and climbing trees as kids do (or did), me and some mates got an earful from a guy who came out of his house and accused us of damaging the trees, for which he was going to report us to the council. Not content with us saying sorry and that we'd stop, he then said he'd save us the trouble and proceeded to fetch an axe from his house and started hacking down one of the trees.

In hindsight, the neighbours clearly weren't too concerned at the sight of a madman shouting at a bunch of kids and waving an axe around.

You learn quickly how to wind aresholes up rotten whilst being exquisitely polite for the sake of the recording. Normal people you help as best you can.

Definitely, I've had people spitting fury at me just by politely telling them "no I can't do what your asking"

I work in complaints so have to deal with such bullshit as this daily. The common ones being;

"I know my rights!!"

Err no, you really don't.

"I'm taking you to court!! "

My department deals with 900/1000 complaints a month and I have worked there for two years. Can only think of one occasion a case ended up near court.

People are utter c***s and thick ones at that.

Someone once made a formal complaint about me for 'being overly polite.'

In fairness, customers are, almost without exception, complete and utter c***s.

I once had one of my staff pass a customer to me, who was demanding that we sell a £20k+ product to him at something like 25% discount. his reason being that he was spending £20k plus. I explained that at the discount level he was demanding, we would actually be making a loss on the deal, so that I wouldn't be doing the deal at that price. He then blubbered on again about "so you're going to turn me down for wanting to spend £20k+ with your company?" I said yeah, because despite you giving us all that money, we will lose £x on the deal. I tried to explain that whether he was spending £20k, £2k or £200k, I couldn't sell him what he wanted at the discounted rate he wanted.

He then announced that he was going to contact the board of directors of my company, and that "he'd have my job". I provided a contact detail for them, as I'm sure that my directors would be delighted to hear that I wasn't selling the company's products at a loss just to show good turnover figures.

I take it that he never did take it further, as I never heard any more about it.

^This^

Arseholes you do the minimum required to do what they request. People who treat you with respect, you help them out further if you can.

This. I am part of the in-bound help desk in the office I work in, and some people just don't realise how an office works. They think we should do what they want, and ignore the procedures that we have set out. They are there for a reason, not to piss people off.

Having had to google what solum meant, I think she might have a point.

She'll almost certainly be charged for drainage as part of her water charges included in her council tax.

Sounds like she's paying for a service and not actually receiving it.

She certainly is charged sewerage rates, and is receiving the service she pays for (and more actually as we investigated the issue further than we really had to). Those rates don't include the service of fixing a blocked / damaged land drain that runs underneath the middle of her house.

Generally I've never had much bother from the public in my Saturday job. At the rugby last week had a few guys complaining about not being able to get into one stand by going through another stand's turnstiles, but only one guy who lost the rag with me (one too many shandies perhaps). Never had anyone threaten to report me - yet. Can't wait for it though.

Back when I was a kid, we used to play goals with the 3-4 driveways at the end of our cul-de-sac ... (all the goal's owners were fine with it). Occasionally the ball rolled down the hill past some posh person's yacht (glorified dinghy). We used to have to rescue the ball from under it once or twice.

I would really love weans playing football in our street. We did it all the time when I was growing up in Motherwell and about the only time you had to lift the ball was when Motherwell Bridge loused at about half 4.

A few years ago, me and a few friends got reported by a dog walker for playing football too near his car, dispute the fact he was parked in the middle of a football pitch, when there was an empty car park about 55 feet from where he was parked. The police ended up telling both of us to move. Dispute that guy parking in the middle of a football pitch.

Brechin actually had a very similar problem to this a couple of seasons ago where Glebe Park kept flooding at the lower end of the pitch because of a blockage behind the terracing on council property. That was when we had to play at Station Park for some home games and tbh, I don't actually know who sorted it in the end.

Archived