Arthur Montford

His commentary on Scotland's win over Czechoslovakia in 1973 which saw us qualify for the 1974 World Cup still sends shivers up my spine and a huge grin across my face . A true gent and someone for whom the phrase a fan with a microphone was surely invented for

Rest in Peace Sir and thanks for the wonderful memories

Jesus fcuk, that Hampden roar.

Legend.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved the footage of the highlights of Pars' 61 cup final win there on Reporting Scotland.

From the Czechoslovakia match: "Come on now Denis, come on Denis!" as Law bears down on goal.

Magnificent.

And I remember, from the same match, 'Mind yer legs, Davy, mind yer legs!' (It might not have been Davy - insert forename of your choice).

I grew up listening to the great man and gave football that bit of class, will be well missed but never forgotten for his eloquent voice. RIP

Scottish Football has never been as classy without him and the commentators of today will never ever even come close to giving football style, panache & class.

Then we had Arthur Montford, Bob Crampsie and (a little reluctantly) Archie Macpherson.

Now we have.......

nobody worthy of mentioning next to those names.

Please don't bracket that half-baked fool with Arthur and Bob. Same with yon Alexander fella.

Archived