question from south of the border.season 2014/15

1) Probably not very likely.

There's no other team that will consistently beat all the other teams, which leads me on to part 2): very difficult to say. Dons have probably the strongest squad but have injury problems. Dundee Utd have a very good but young team and have inconsistencies. Hamilton are mental this year and who's to say they won't go on to challenge but you just can't tell. ICT are perhaps the most consistent out of the top 5 (outwith Celtic) but lack strength in depth and so if injuries come they could plummet.

That wasn't a very helpful post. I'll be biased and say Aberdeen.

Hi Mark

1/ no chance

2/ closest with no genuine challenge will likely be one of three, Dundee United, Inverness or Aberdeen. Be 15 points of a gap anyway unless Celtic really do well in Europe

What a lot of us tend to do up here is just pretend the c****s don't exist and 2nd for best of the rest kinda wins!!!

Hi guys.

Question in 2 parts.

1 What's the likelihood of some club beating Celtic to the title.?

2 If so, which club ?

Or if not, which club will push them closest ?

Cheers. Mark.

If John Guidetti gets an injury then Dundee will win the league. Thank you.

Knew it.

Yip, kinda sad but I suppose the runner up aside the cups really take priority for the rest of us. The best thing about 2nd is a later European start than third. Thankfully Celtic have been shite in the cups though so there's a bit of hope.

For me having Celtic way in front isn't much difference from when Rangers where on the go and two of them where miles clear together for years.

Must be similar for fans of Everton, Spurs etc?

Hi Mark

1/ no chance

2/ closest with no genuine challenge will likely be one of three, Dundee United, Inverness or Aberdeen. Be 15 points of a gap anyway unless Celtic really do well in Europe

What a lot of us tend to do up here is just pretend the c****s don't exist and 2nd for best of the rest kinda wins!!!

This.

Some good answers...thanks...i suppose when you look from afar the league table looks close at this very point, hence my question. I always think it wouldn't take a great deal of investment for a side to get the players to mount a challenge ?

If a team could get some players from English championship standard of thereabouts ? I suppose its down to money and finding players who would go.

As a kid i remember Aberdeen and Dundee Utd having very good teams and they did well in Europe.

It is similar here in a way...even clubs as big as Spurs and Everton start the season with little hope of winning the league.A team like Southampton are showing what you can do...the trouble is it's only a matter of time before the bigger clubs buy their best players.

I used to watch Aston Villa but i rarely go these days as they are a joke...Martin Oneil spent a fortune in finishing sixth twice in a row then the owner decided he had enough of spending tens of millions a year and now they are in another struggle to stay up...and Villa WERE a serious big club. So yes its a similar situation here to a point....but it wouldnt take millions for a club to challenge Celtic...would it ? Forgive me if i've got it wrong !

Theoretically it wouldn't however it doesn't make very good business sense. It happens that the people who decide to put money in also seem to be mad b*****ds who make terrible decisions. See Vlad Romanov.

We're all just recovering from the 90s where we all tried to keep up and you're only now seeing clubs like Aberdeen, Dundee Utd going debt free.

Some good answers...thanks...i suppose when you look from afar the league table looks close at this very point, hence my question. I always think it wouldn't take a great deal of investment for a side to get the players to mount a challenge ?

If a team could get some players from English championship standard of thereabouts ? I suppose its down to money and finding players who would go.

As a kid i remember Aberdeen and Dundee Utd having very good teams and they did well in Europe.

It is similar here in a way...even clubs as big as Spurs and Everton start the season with little hope of winning the league.A team like Southampton are showing what you can do...the trouble is it's only a matter of time before the bigger clubs buy their best players.

I used to watch Aston Villa but i rarely go these days as they are a joke...Martin Oneil spent a fortune in finishing sixth twice in a row then the owner decided he had enough of spending tens of millions a year and now they are in another struggle to stay up...and Villa WERE a serious big club. So yes its a similar situation here to a point....but it wouldnt take millions for a club to challenge Celtic...would it ? Forgive me if i've got it wrong !

Aye, it would take millions. Celtic spend about £20m - £30m on player wages each year whereas the rest are somewhere between £1m - £3m.

The other teams can pay only nominal fees if at all whereas Celtic still regularly pay fees of £2m - £3m for back up players. The only quality players at other clubs are young players who have been developed through youth systems but they never stay long enough to fulfill their potential because of the absurd riches paid even in the lower leagues in England.

Things might improve once the TV bubble bursts, if that ever happens.

I think someone will win the league when the European league eventually starts (only a matter of time).

This nations league or whatever it's called UEFA are bringing in will eventually be adopted by clubs.

You'll have domestic leagues cut to about 24 games, with a European league running alongside it adding another 24/28 games.

When that happens, Celtic will concentrate on Europe and play a shadow side in the premiership, where winning the league will no longer have a bearing on actually qualifying for Europe. That's when the other sides will win the league.

Bookmark this post and remind me in 2030.

If that happens it'll be a sad day for real football. I really do wonder what people get out of seeing a team they've picked at random to support playing 200 miles away. You have to feel sorry for the real supporters of the clubs, from a generation or two ago, who have watched their team become a franchise and been priced out of supporting their team.

Hi guys.

Question in 2 parts.

1 What's the likelihood of some club beating Celtic to the title.?

2 If so, which club ?

Or if not, which club will push them closest ?

Cheers. Mark.

tumblr_lnv4lu27ik1qjun2ao1_250.gif

The only club that has come close in recent seasons was Motherwell. Unfortunately Fraser Kerr hasn't featured enough up front for them to mount a very serious title challenge.

Archived