Scotland to get full income tax powers...

orlandoblue

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People do realize that we dont actually get anything until they have been voted through the commons and the house of pig troughing lords??

We're getting next to f**k all anyway. They aren't even devolving 100% of income tax - despite what everyone is saying.

OK mate, point taken. I was in case if indy Scotland not part UK.

However, us in the Borders could do a move 20 miles to get better rates, could work the same way as well.

I have a registered English and Scottish businesses, I could pay payroll from either (albeit I pay from Scotland now). Different tax regimes, indicates a different nation state as far as I am concerned.

Income tax is based on where the economic activity is carried out. If you work in Scotland you pay Scottish taxes, regardless of where your home or business is domiciled. this is why double taxation agreements exist.

I've been told my income tax will be calculated on where I live, not where I work. I will be working in Scotland, but living in England.

Who told you this? Currently the rules are as per the Scotland Act. 2012 definition of Scottish Tax Payers. If Scotland is to have complete control over the setting of income tax, then I would expect this to include anyone who earns in Scotland, it doesn't work any other way.

ETA: I suppose it could work if Scotland had a double taxation agreement with the rest of the UK but I think this is highly unlikely.

Who told you this? Currently the rules are as per the Scotland Act. 2012 definition of Scottish Tax Payers. If Scotland is to have complete control over the setting of income tax, then I would expect this to include anyone who earns in Scotland, it doesn't work any other way.

ETA: I suppose it could work if Scotland had a double taxation agreement with the rest of the UK but I think this is highly unlikely.

Just people at work who do the opposite and live in Scotland but work in England. Hadn't really given it much thought but I start a new job in Scotland on Monday.

Would love to know the answer to this

Me too. My other half for example works at Centrica in their Aberdeen office whilst their registered HQ is down in Windsor.

I was about to say that on the other hand you have the likes of Shell, a Dutch company who raise a fair amount in Scotland but based abroad and that works quite easily already. Then I remembered that it's technically an entirely separate company called 'Shell UK' for a reason.

http://news.sky.com/story/1380950/scotland-to-get-full-income-tax-powers

As near to federalism as possible? Bullshit. The fight goes on.

The whole 'more devolution' thing is a complete red herring.

Any increase in Scottish income tax receipts, the block grant is reduced accordingly. Any decrease in Scottish receipts, the block grant is increased accordingly.

None of it gives us any real powers, or maks any real difference - it's just a re-packaging of the status quo to keep the Yes voters and Vow voters happy.

All we now have is a complete administrative 'devo mess'.

I voted SNP last election, to encourage the vote, but personally I was left disappointed at the Yes Campaign and how they handled the the most important issue, finance.

The Yes campaign did give answers to these issues, but they were deliberately being muddied and censored by MSM.

Near federalism would be delivering on the Vow. Nothing else is acceptable

Don't think the Vow mentioned federalism tbh.

Not sure I see the point in limited powers being transferred as some form of appeasement or if it will lead to good governance in Scotland.

Also thought the integrity of the UK wide tax system had to be maintained at all costs. :unsure:

Archived