Elgin/Morayshire

Quitongo's Left Peg

Not really sure if this belongs in the travel forum or elsewhere... I'm sure a mod will move if necessary.

I've been offered a great job opportunity in Morayshire, so was looking for some advice on the Elgin area. Housing opportunities, what areas to avoid/consider etc.

Thanks in advance.

Elgin isn't the best to be honest. Town centre is full of charity shops, pound shops and the like. 3 bookies and a couple of alright pubs but other than that there's not much going for it unless you like a kebab, plenty of takeaways!

New houses up by the golf course seem to be popular these days if you were looking to buy. Doesn't seem to be many private rent opportunities these days, mostly taken up by our European friends. Would avoid Kingsmill area, it's just utter shite and that would go for the Lesmurdie area also. It was ranked as the most deprived area in Moray a couple of years back.

I was impressed by Lossiemouth when I stayed over after a Highland League game recently. A few good pubs and restaurants, and a beach. A lot less gloomy than most of the towns in the area. No idea on house prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Elgin's quite a nice town as far as Scottish towns go imo. The driest area in Scotland too, supposedly why Kinloss & Lossie air bases were located there.

Nice beaches nearby, not that far a drive from the Highlands / Speyside etc. I'd happily live around there given a decent job opportunity imo.

My wife's from Elgin so I'm up there quite a lot. It's alright, I've seen much worse. Like loads of other places it could do with a wee bit of investment. If I was ever moving up that way I would probably opt for Lossiemouth - cracking wee place. The local area is pretty decent though I think.

Not really sure if this belongs in the travel forum or elsewhere... I'm sure a mod will move if necessary.

I've been offered a great job opportunity in Morayshire, so was looking for some advice on the Elgin area. Housing opportunities, what areas to avoid/consider etc.

Thanks in advance.

First tip is to drop "shire" as calling it "Morayshire" is number 2 on the list of pet hates here, with people pronouncing it "Mo-Ray" instead of "Murray" being number 1!

As Tuffers says, private rent is absolute nightmare here, so if you find somewhere you like in any area other than Lesmurdie, then act quick. If you're buying and want something scenic, your best tip for living in Moray is to live on the coast and make the small commute to Elgin for your work, there are some fantastic wee places Like Lossie, Hopeman, Cummingston and I suppose even Burghead isn't so bad. I grew up in Hopeman and much prefered living there than living in Elgin itself, although having lived in the central belt, Elgin is still miles ahead of the places I lived there.

Biggest tip is to avoid Borough Briggs, we're absolutely shite.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived