Gretna....can anyone answer ?

markc

He didn't say he was competent or even he knew what he was doing. The guy obviously wasn't right but that doesn't mean he didn't mean well.

Clubs shouldn't be so reliant on one individual that they go under if they leave. Benefactors are entitled to withdraw funding at any time and it's up to the board to plan for that.

He wasn't right at the fucking outset, never mind the end. Still highly thought of in the Northern League, who have a cup named after him, mind you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest, if you were terminally ill and had some cash to play around with and thought your family were c***s who wouldn't love to do what Mileson done? Pick an irrelevant club that barely has any fans and have your way with them dominating the lower half of Scottish football in the process. If I win the lottery and get a terminal disease at some point, here's looking at you Morton.

Let's be honest, if you were terminally ill and had some cash to play around with and thought your family were c***s who wouldn't love to do what Mileson done? Pick an irrelevant club that barely has any fans and have your way with them dominating the lower half of Scottish football in the process. If I win the lottery and get a terminal disease at some point, here's looking at you Morton.

I see you haven't mentioned drugs and prostitutes, I assume this is an oversight.

If we get into the SPFL I can see us having 300 plus figures for our home games. Also we do havea good travelling support so likely 150 would travel to away games.

The only way we would get 300 plus would be if Annan came down as we go up. There are a few faces from the old Gretna days wearing black and gold scarves now. The back and white ones will be in the bottom of a drawer now.

The traveling fans didn't get much more than 50 with the old club, I can't see any more than that if we go up.

Cicero....how do Gretna fans now reflect on ...

1.Mileson

2.Rowan Alexander (and Alan Main)

3.Davie Irons

4.Wadsworth..

Be interesting to know from a Gretna fan.

I met them all and contrary to popular belief,

Wadsworth was the best to speak to. Mileson was always a bit befuddled and Alexander was a p***k. Irons didn't make much impact.

I met them all and contrary to popular belief,

Wadsworth was the best to speak to. Mileson was always a bit befuddled and Alexander was a p***k. Irons didn't make much impact.

Strangely enough, this is a similar to the answer that I would have given. Perhaps not as harsh on Alexander although he did seem full of his self importance.

Wadsworth did come in for a bit of stick at the time but a lot of people forget that he actually put his own money into the club to see the club finish the season at the end.

Alan Main was very approachable when he was playing and very friendly. I remember him giving his gloves to a disabled fan as souvenir after one game. However his comments after he left the club did leave a bitter taste as they were very disrespectful to the fans who had supported him.

Alan Main was very approachable when he was playing and very friendly. I remember him giving his gloves to a disabled fan as souvenir after one game. However his comments after he left the club did leave a bitter taste as they were very disrespectful to the fans who had supported him.

Out of interest, what did he say?

The thing that grips my shit most about Gretna is that they ripped the pish out of the relaxed stadia criteria!

Just a few years after the rules kept Falkirk out of the top flight despite having broken ground on a new stadium they waltzed in despite having no intentions what-so-fucking-ever of building something !

And then when the ground sharing at Motherwell went predictably tits-up the league bent over backwards to accomodate them ... playing the rearranged game(s?) at a First Division ground was a further arse-in-the-air in Falkirk's direction IMO!

They were allowed to move 1 SPL game (v Celtic) to Almondvale. They were also allowed to play a Scottish Cup tie (v Morton) at Palmerston. SPL also helped them post-split, issuing 1 home/4 away - the home, v better-supported Hearts, last.

Archived