Corporal Punishment - The Belt

Good to see you showing a bit of remorse.

On the treating girls differently tack, there seemed to be a policy at our school to call girls by their first name but boys by their surname, even in the same class. I have no idea why but it happened in several classes.

Can't type. ;)

Ref Names: When I was at School, 1958-1971 it was all surnames.

When I left teaching at the end of the last school year surnames were only used as a wee show of disapproval.

On a light note.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the treating girls differently tack, there seemed to be a policy at our school to call girls by their first name but boys by their surname, even in the same class. I have no idea why but it happened in several classes.

That was the policy at my school too. I only ever once saw a girl get hit in class. Mary Kelly who came from a somewhat...troubled background and saw little kindness from the teachers or, I'm ashamed to say, we pupils. One day, some kind soul* dropped Mary's woolly hat in the toilet but rather than searching for the culprit, the teacher made it clear it was Mary's fault for wearing such a thing. On a cold, winter's day. What was Mary thinking? Through her tears, Mary used a word, which began with F and took a skelping for it.

* Not me, in case you were wondering.

Good to see we're on the verge of turning on the real bad guys here - wimmin :P

Girls were treated entirely differently when I was at school too. Lassies could sit and gossip; boys were in trouble for looking at each other. First names for girls, surnames for boys. It's something the girls were very aware of, too - all one of the girls had to do was fake a few tears and make up a tale, and you were sent to the headmaster's office for a bawling out, whether or not there were other kids who were prepared to say that you weren't even in the same part of the playground. Something of a training ground for female sociopaths.

Had a few teachers who literally could not contain their hatred for boys. An art teacher who would universally scream abuse at boys when they handed their work in, before tearing it up and throwing it in the bin. The lassies, however, got fawned over and had their hair stroked. At the end of the year, it was pretty funny when we all went home with an empty folder of our best work :lol:

Her best mates were a Home Economics teacher who started our first lesson by telling us that all boys were useless at cooking, so she wasn't even going to bother trying to teaching us anything, and a Textiles teacher who pulled the same tricks as the art teacher and would have wee nervous breakdowns about hating boys, before clearing off to have tea with the Home Ec teacher for the rest of the lesson. Anyone that says that there's not enough time in the school day to teach kids everything they need to know should've been at that school; I'd estimate that 50% of the school week was wasted on nothing classes like those.

Be interested to know from the ladies if they ever felt discriminated against at school, as it all seemed pretty much one way from my perspective.

Be interested to know from the ladies if they ever felt discriminated against at school, as it all seemed pretty much one way from my perspective.

I wouldn't know. I'm too young to have been there when belts, canings and all that stuff were in. :P

That was the policy at my school too. I only ever once saw a girl get hit in class. Mary Kelly who came from a somewhat...troubled background and saw little kindness from the teachers or, I'm ashamed to say, we pupils. One day, some kind soul* dropped Mary's woolly hat in the toilet but rather than searching for the culprit, the teacher made it clear it was Mary's fault for wearing such a thing. On a cold, winter's day. What was Mary thinking? Through her tears, Mary used a word, which began with F and took a skelping for it.

* Not me, in case you were wondering.

Think every school had a Mary Kelly. Reminds me of a story involving ours - we were being subjected to a series of joint male/female PE classes in the weeks leading up to the school dance in order to teach us the intricacies of Scottish country dancing. No idea why, as no-one had any intentions of doing any on the night.

Anyway, to ratchet up the embarrassment that extra notch, the guys were lined up on the opposite side of the gym from the girls, and had to cross the floor to ask them to dance. Naturally that meant a rugby scrum trying to get to the lookers, with one guy, wee Davie, having got caught at the back too busy dicking around, left with one potential partner - let's just call her "Mary..."

The female PE teacher shouted at him " You - ask that girl to dance!"

"No chance".

She turned round and screamed at the male PE teacher "Teach that boy some manners!..."

Wee Davie was sent down to the office, and when the door opened held his hands out for the belt, only for the male PE teacher to tell him "It's all right wee man - I wouldn't have danced with her either - on you go back up and kid on your hands are sore..."

I did lines a few times and invariably they'd end up in the bin. What was the point of lines as a punishment? I have no idea.

I've given lines quite a few times over the past few years. Usually a hundred, or two hundred. When the pupil gives me it back I invariably rip it up in front of them and put it in the bin. Had a few pupils ask me "what was the point in giving me that, then?" to which I reply "you wasted my time - so I've wasted yours". Works pretty well.

They picked the ones whose parents wouldn't care, or who'd be too scared to say anything.

Yeah, pretty much this.

My Papa was a teacher in times when the belt was allowed. He never once used it and had a really low opinion of teachers who did.

Reminds me of a story involving ours - we were being subjected to a series of joint male/female PE classes in the weeks leading up to the school dance in order to teach us the intricacies of Scottish country dancing. No idea why, as no-one had any intentions of doing any on the night."

This in turn reminds me of a quote from another PE teacher of mine:

"Look boys, I know you hate Scottish Country Dancing but let's be honest here, for some of you here this will be the closest you'll ever get to sex."

This in turn reminds me of a quote from another PE teacher of mine:

"Look boys, I know you hate Scottish Country Dancing but let's be honest here, for some of you here this will be the closest you'll ever get to sex."

:lol:

PE teacher, you say? I'm sure he'd have been happy to oblige :ph34r:

This country dancing thing reminded me of something I haven't thought of in decades. When I was eight or nine, there was a sickly wee lassie in my class whose skin was almost transparent and was about half the size of the other girls. The fickle finger of fate paired her with the biggest kid in the school (me) for country dancing, presumably because some higher power thought it would be fucking hilarious. In practice it was magic, as I could swing her around like a doll and she'd stand on my feet during the chargy-aboot bits. Top stuff; we stuck together for the rest of the year :thumsup2

Can't type. ;)

Ref Names: When I was at School, 1958-1971 it was all surnames.

When I left teaching at the end of the last school year surnames were only used as a wee show of disapproval.

On a light note.

Reminds me of their pal Rowan Atkinson who managed to make a hilarious (imho) sketch about a schoolmaster combining the topics of surnames and corporal punishment, in this case tweaking.

One of my teachers back in the day was Adam McNaughton, writer and collector of Glasgow street songs. He wrote The Jeely Piece Song ( for those who remember ) One of his songs ended " take the belt aff a the teachers, issue every wan a gun " This was said pretty much tongue in cheek because although he was a big guy, possessed a lochgelly, and had a knot tied in the sleeve of the gown he wore he never ever struck a pupil. These were for show ( I presume ) but his teaching methods were such that the respect he commanded meant no one ever game him cause to discipline!

One of my teachers back in the day was Adam McNaughton, writer and collector of Glasgow street songs. He wrote The Jeely Piece Song ( for those who remember ) One of his songs ended " take the belt aff a the teachers, issue every wan a gun " This was said pretty much tongue in cheek because although he was a big guy, possessed a lochgelly, and had a knot tied in the sleeve of the gown he wore he never ever struck a pupil. These were for show ( I presume ) but his teaching methods were such that the respect he commanded meant no one ever game him cause to discipline!

Could he tell Chicky Melly fae Hunch Cuddy Hunch?

Yeah, pretty much this.

My Papa was a teacher in times when the belt was allowed. He never once used it and had a really low opinion of teachers who did.

Met teachers who said that, their classrooms were always chaos.

I've given lines quite a few times over the past few years. Usually a hundred, or two hundred. When the pupil gives me it back I invariably rip it up in front of them and put it in the bin. Had a few pupils ask me "what was the point in giving me that, then?" to which I reply "you wasted my time - so I've wasted yours". Works pretty well.

After getting lines from a physics teacher and him doing this without even looking at thems, I came up with the cunning plan to just write one page and then photocopy it the requisite number of times next time he gave me lines.

Handed in the 100/200 lines or whatever, only for the smug b*****d to sit down at his desk, peruse the pages for a few moments then demand 1000 lines for being a smart arse.

Thought twice whenever I wanted to piss around in his class after that.

Archived