'Cold proofing' / tips to make a flat warmer (or not as cold)

DA Baracus

If you are renting an accommodation can you not kick up fuss if you are living in such cold conditions?

Get in touch with the council. It's the landlords responsibility to make sure the gas and heating works. How much do you pay for the place?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get in touch with the council. It's the landlords responsibility to make sure the gas and heating works. How much do you pay for the place?

I was referring to the OP, i hear about some friends of mine that sound like they live in sub standard conditions and wonder how some stuff is allowed to go on!

I was referring to the OP, i hear about some friends of mine that sound like they live in sub standard conditions and wonder how some stuff is allowed to go on!

For some reason I got you and the OP mixed up :lol:

For some reason I got you and the OP mixed up :lol:

:1eye

I live in a new flat which has too much insulation and gets too hot all the time. Because we have people above us and below us it makes it hotter for us when they put the heating on there and on top of when we put the heating on it gets really stuffy and we have to open a window even in the winter time! In summer time the windows are constantly open and its still never enough, need to sleep with an extra thin sheet on as a normal duvet results in too much sweat on the sheets!! Its either a feast or a famine i tell ya!

I live in a new flat which has too much insulation and gets too hot all the time. Because we have people above us and below us it makes it hotter for us when they put the heating on there and on top of when we put the heating on it gets really stuffy and we have to open a window even in the winter time! In summer time the windows are constantly open and its still never enough, sleep with an extra thin sheet on as a normal duvet results in too much sweat on the sheets!! Its either a feast or a famine i tell ya!

I'm the exact same, I honestly never have to put the heating on in my bedroom, just the PS4 or my PC on will warm my room up, if I have the both of them on my room overheats, I can't even moan about it, it's bloody brilliant!

I'm the exact same, I honestly never have to put the heating on in my bedroom, just the PS4 or my PC on will warm my room up, if I have the both of them on my room overheats, I can't even moan about it, it's bloody brilliant!

Its not bad and i shouldn't really complain but having to open a window in late November does seem a bit wrong! Last flat i lived in had wooden floors and high ceilings, this time last year we had our dinner then lay on the couch with a duvet over us as even having the heating on was a waste of time and money!

I love you DA. You're an angry man, but no wonder when you eat two day old stale crisps.

It is never cold enough to pin a blanket to a window though FFS.

The crisps were still crispy.

Nice. I'm considering this.

I think DA Baracus might be Madeleine McCann. Or, based on his thread about shagging babies in the NSFW forum, her kidnapper.

It clearly wasn't about that at all. It was about relations with amputees.

You don't help yourself, do you? Why the f**k did you rent this slum dwelling?

What floor are you on? If it's top floor, then get that free loft insulation installed. Failing that, buy a better electric heater. Possibly a radiant panel type that heats you rather than the space. If you have tiled floors, stick a rug down. Cling film or clear tarpaulin over the single glazed windows to give you cheap secondary glazing. Buy several cheap wooly jumpers at charity shops and try and live in one room.

It's not a bad place, just no heaters. I actually was in a bit of a rush to rent somewhere (commuting to Dunfermline to commute to Dundee wasn't going to work out) so just went for this place and after sending a brilliant text promising to be a great tenant (which I am of course), I was offered it. When I first moved in it was fine as it was still really warm outside. Now I'm seeing the downside of it. But a few tweaks and it should be fine. Plus the lease is only until March, at which point I'll just get somewhere else.

It's top floor.

It's top floor.

Encourage the people living on the floor below to turn up their heating or to have more baths and showers.

I set myself a challenge to knock 1/3 off my fuel bills this year and I'm coming in quite close.

Good purchases I've made include:

• Chimney sheep - Fits up your chimney and stops the warm air disappearing up it.
  • Draught excluding strip, as identified by FlyerTon.
  • Keyhole Draught Excluder - I have an external door where the keyhole is within a large metal plate, so an escutcheon wouldn't work. I fitted one of these on each side of the door beneath the metal plate and it acts just like the brushes you get on letterboxes.
  • I've also replaced the 12 50W GU10 Halogens in the kichen with 5W LED equivalents. Not quite as bright, but close enough that you don't notice after a week.
  • The big cash outlay was getting a Magnaclean unit fitted to the central heating system, I'll have a better idea how much benefit this has had after winter.
  • Other than that, a new door seal and remembering to close the curtains at dusk seem to be helping me along.

The only bad purchase I've made has been a Chimney Pillow. Same principle as the chimney sheep, but an inflatable bag that gets sucked up the chimney as soon as the wind picks up. :angry:.

I live in a new flat which has too much insulation and gets too hot all the time. Because we have people above us and below us it makes it hotter for us when they put the heating on there and on top of when we put the heating on it gets really stuffy and we have to open a window even in the winter time! In summer time the windows are constantly open and its still never enough, need to sleep with an extra thin sheet on as a normal duvet results in too much sweat on the sheets!! Its either a feast or a famine i tell ya!

I don't think you should rub it in you have radiators while poor BA is sitting with a shrivelled cock.

The crisps were still crispy.

Nice. I'm considering this.

It clearly wasn't about that at all. It was about relations with amputees.

It's not a bad place, just no heaters. I actually was in a bit of a rush to rent somewhere (commuting to Dunfermline to commute to Dundee wasn't going to work out) so just went for this place and after sending a brilliant text promising to be a great tenant (which I am of course), I was offered it. When I first moved in it was fine as it was still really warm outside. Now I'm seeing the downside of it. But a few tweaks and it should be fine. Plus the lease is only until March, at which point I'll just get somewhere else.

It's top floor.

Did you rent with A&S properties? Their flats always have something missing mine was missing a oven :lol:

I love you DA. You're an angry man, but no wonder when you eat two day old stale crisps.

It is never cold enough to pin a blanket to a window though FFS.

Well if your trying to grow something wink wink he is looking for tips to keep the bill down so the RPU don't knock on the door

backed up by Officer plod. :unsure2:

My jakiness was compounded today when I bought a 59p multi pack of Tesco Basics 'assorted snacks' using 2p pieces. This will form much of my sustenance tomorrow.

Friday, payday, can't come soon enough.

My jakiness was compounded today when I bought a 59p multi pack of Tesco Basics 'assorted snacks' using 2p pieces. This will form much of my sustenance tomorrow.

Friday, payday, can't come soon enough.

Some c**t buy him a warm meal and a cup of tea ffs.

Encourage the people living on the floor below to turn up their heating or to have more baths and showers.

I set myself a challenge to knock 1/3 off my fuel bills this year and I'm coming in quite close.

Good purchases I've made include:

• Chimney sheep - Fits up your chimney and stops the warm air disappearing up it.
  • Draught excluding strip, as identified by FlyerTon.
  • Keyhole Draught Excluder - I have an external door where the keyhole is within a large metal plate, so an escutcheon wouldn't work. I fitted one of these on each side of the door beneath the metal plate and it acts just like the brushes you get on letterboxes.
  • I've also replaced the 12 50W GU10 Halogens in the kichen with 5W LED equivalents. Not quite as bright, but close enough that you don't notice after a week.
  • The big cash outlay was getting a Magnaclean unit fitted to the central heating system, I'll have a better idea how much benefit this has had after winter.
  • Other than that, a new door seal and remembering to close the curtains at dusk seem to be helping me along.

The only bad purchase I've made has been a Chimney Pillow. Same principle as the chimney sheep, but an inflatable bag that gets sucked up the chimney as soon as the wind picks up. :angry:.

You know how to live!

You know how to live!

Well, now you mention it, not being able to stare at the streetlights from an overly bright and draughty kitchen has had a seriously detrimental effect on my quality of life.

And to think, I only had to pay Scottish Power an extra £800 a year for the privilege. What a fool I feel.

Archived