'Cold proofing' / tips to make a flat warmer (or not as cold)

DA Baracus

Well, now you mention it, not being able to stare at the streetlights from an overly bright and draughty kitchen has had a seriously detrimental affect on my quality of life.

And to think, I only had to pay Scottish Power an extra £800 a year for the privilege. What a fool I feel.

Your saving 800 a year?

How big is your house for your bills to be over that?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your saving 800 a year?

How big is your house for your bills to be over that?

4 bed Edwardian semi in a conservation area.

Walls are solid, so cavity wall insulation isn't available, and no chance of getting permission for uPVC double glazing units.

Last year, we paid about £2500. Spent about £300 on improvements this year and on target to save about £800.

As Spike Milligan said "Stand nearer Africa- it's warmer"

My Grandma used to say shit like that but she wasn't trying to be funny.

"Come and sit over here, you're closer to the sun."

"I don't think 6 feet either way will make much of a difference to my suntan Grandma."

Anyway, back to the OP. Bubblewrap taped over the windows makes a good insulator. Of course, you can't see out but nothing ever happens on your street anyway.

Walk around the house with a lit candle. Watch to see where the flame flickers to trace draughts and stop them up. Particularly check doors, windows and around the skirting board.

Hang a sheet or better yet, a blanket over the biggest windows at night.

Find someone with whom to snuggle. If they're sexually attractive, that's great but if not, well how badly do you want to be warm?

Go and visit other people. After a minute or so, say "Jesus it's freezing in here. Could you turn the heat up a bit?" Don't leave until you have to. You may find your circle of friends will dwindle after a while but hopefully the weather will have warmed up a bit by then.

Wash your feet in warm water and put on clean socks before you go to bed.

Lastly, always cook over an open fire.

My Grandma used to say shit like that but she wasn't trying to be funny.

"Come and sit over here, you're closer to the sun."

"I don't think 6 feet either way will make much of a difference to my suntan Grandma."

Anyway, back to the OP. Bubblewrap taped over the windows makes a good insulator. Of course, you can't see out but nothing ever happens on your street anyway.

Walk around the house with a lit candle. Watch to see where the flame flickers to trace draughts and stop them up. Particularly check doors, windows and around the skirting board.

Hang a sheet or better yet, a blanket over the biggest windows at night.

Find someone with whom to snuggle. If they're sexually attractive, that's great but if not, well how badly do you want to be warm?

Go and visit other people. After a minute or so, say "Jesus it's freezing in here. Could you turn the heat up a bit?" Don't leave until you have to. You may find your circle of friends will dwindle after a while but hopefully the weather will have warmed up a bit by then.

Wash your feet in warm water and put on clean socks before you go to bed.

Lastly, always cook over an open fire.

Carbon monoxide alert.

Don't close up fresh air (adventitious air) entering your dwelling if you are using an open flued gas appliance, gas cooker/hob/ oven and an open fire.

You have been warned.

My jakiness was compounded today when I bought a 59p multi pack of Tesco Basics 'assorted snacks' using 2p pieces. This will form much of my sustenance tomorrow.

Friday, payday, can't come soon enough.

Right cunto, tell us what you're having for lunch.

Archived