'Cold proofing' / tips to make a flat warmer (or not as cold)

DA Baracus

I have no radiators in my flat and only have an electric heater which guzzles the credit from the meter. With it getting colder, I'm looking to take steps to make the place more 'cold proof'.

I've already duct taped over the seals in the windows in the living room (a ludicrous set of 4, one of which is a ridiculous window) and it's already made a bit of difference. These windows are where most of the heat is escaping. The curtains are set back from it, not helping matters. I plan to get some blankets and pin then over the windows.

I also made a draught excluder using old football socks and magazines and use it at the front door. This seems to be making a bit of a difference too.

Any other tips amidst the accusations of Dundee tinkery and general scaffiness? To compound matters, when I was seperating rubbish in to two bags (it was too big for one bag) I found a bag of crisps (open) that I put in there on Sunday and have just eaten a few.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no radiators in my flat and only have an electric heater which guzzles the credit from the meter. With it getting colder, I'm looking to take steps to make the place more 'cold proof'.

I've already duct taped over the seals in the windows in the living room (a ludicrous set of 4, one of which is a ridiculous window) and it's already made a bit of difference. These windows are where most of the heat is escaping. The curtains are set back from it, not helping matters. I plan to get some blankets and pin then over the windows.

I also made a draught excluder using old football socks and magazines and use it at the front door. This seems to be making a bit of a difference too.

Any other tips amidst the accusations of Dundee tinkery and general scaffiness? To compound matters, when I was seperating rubbish in to two bags (it was too big for one bag) I found a bag of crisps (open) that I put in there on Sunday and have just eaten a few.

Apart from changing the windows, I think what's on the link may be better than duct tape.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tesa-05432-Insulating-Windows-Transparent/dp/B0038JE7X6/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416941108&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=window+insualtion+film

Edit to add: you could add some of this stuff before the above:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tesa-05393-Draught-Excluder-Profile/dp/B0024NKDFS/ref=pd_sim_diy_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=14Q783PYCF3HMM9Z6ZRB

After using the oven, open the oven door so the heat spreads around the kitchen. Never leave the kitchen.

We did that in my student flat once. Cost a fortune in gas canisters. There was a couch in the dining bit of the kitchen and it was still fucking freezing. Freezing, that is, until you stood up and then nearly passed out at the heat (this just in, heat rises).

Archived