The one centre that did offer help (in Stirling) was cut out of the Rape Crisis network. They lobbied the Scottish Parliament and as a result the other rape crisis centres were under threat of losing funding unless they changed their policy. Ostensibly they have but, anecdotally because I'm no longer a volunteer, I hear they only pay lip service to this and offer no real help.

So no actual belittling that was just your embellishment. Speaks volumes for your motivations. Rape Crisis was founded as a group to support female victims of violence. It is now expanding to deal with male victims of sexual violence. I suppose you oppose gay rights because gay rights groups do not also deal with heterosexual problems, you certainly seem the type.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One rare thing I will agree with feminists on is that the music industry (or more precisely mainstream parts of it that spurt out the stuff wee kids listen to) seems to push a sexist agenda that's downright sinister at times. A good example is when Chris Brown beat up Rihanna. His response is to release a hateful tirade on women, she sings about how attractive she finds violent men, and nae c**t bats an eyelid. Not that I care what those two gimps get up to, but it's obviously not good for impressionable wee daft children.

It's a feminist issue because it affects a lot of women a lot more often on an everyday issue.

It still happens though. Only 6 days ago this came out. http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/latest/press-releases/decrease-gender-pay-gap-welcome-small-comfort-low-paid-women/

There is small progress on that front but it's still a factor. Also raises concerns about the high percentage of women in low paid work.

Most of that article is fair, but then you get something like the Asda comparison, they pay warehouse staff and store staff different rates, so f**k. You want the warehouse rate, work in the warehouse. IMO so long as the recruitment policy in warehouse and store isn't sexist then it shouldn't matter what % of each workforce is from what gender.

Edit - also again we have the problem of a few select stats, i can't simply agree with a conclusion just from a few headline stats, much more detail is needed before anyone can say where the problem lies.

One rare thing I will agree with feminists on is that the music industry (or more precisely mainstream parts of it that spurt out the stuff wee kids listen to) seems to push a sexist agenda that's downright sinister at times. A good example is when Chris Brown beat up Rihanna. His response is to release a hateful tirade on women, she sings about how attractive she finds violent men, and nae c**t bats an eyelid. Not that I care what those two gimps get up to, but it's obviously not good for impressionable wee daft children.

Tbh the (popular) music industry is shocking in the way it markets itself across the board. Happy to hang on any stereotype to make cash with little care to how that affects people day to day.

By who's definition tho?

Do you not think that a male-dominated media was more likely to put forward the lunatic fringe to get folk foaming at the mooth? I certainly define feminism as something closer to 'equalist'.

Feminism isn't about turning women into the master race of gender, it's about equality and laws are set up to protect womens (and mens) rights to ensure, on the most part that is respected

However, when a story like this appears in the press its seen by the majority of men as an attack because the bulk of them are not oppressing anyone.

Many issues that "kid on" feminists raise are not feminist issues, they are human issues, like domestic abuse, sexual assault and street harassment etc, no one should be subjected to these and the support of victims and punishment of offenders should be equal also.

You cant break down gender barriers and build your own, like if thanks to Rosa Parks not giving up her seat led to a thriving African American only bus service with no whites allowed

Equality is equality, feminism is striving for equality, some women have a chip on their shoulder and don't see equality as good enough and want the balance tipped in their favour under the guise of feminism, they are not feminists.

I'd like to see a television show in which 20 men are given the opportunity to judge 1 woman based solely on her looks and one of her talents. They can 'turn off their light' if they find her unattractive.

I'd also suggest some sort of early-afternoon panel show featuring a group of horny old men. They can sit around a table and have a laugh about their stupid wives who barely provide anything worthwhile in the bedroom. Occasionally they will interview an attractive younger woman and fawn all over her.

I wonder what the public reaction would be like if these two shows were a reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA6R1DMb-Z8

Can you imagine the outrage it would cause if this song was written and performed by male domestic abusers?

Feminism isn't about turning women into the master race of gender, it's about equality and laws are set up to protect womens (and mens) rights to ensure, on the most part that is respected

Equality is equality, feminism is striving for equality, some women have a chip on their shoulder and don't see equality as good enough and want the balance tipped in their favour under the guise of feminism, they are not feminists.

I don't think anyone disagrees with any of that, Diego- most of it goes without saying. My complaint, and the reason I can't fully identify with the ideology, is the nomenclature.

So no actual belittling that was just your embellishment. Speaks volumes for your motivations. Rape Crisis was founded as a group to support female victims of violence. It is now expanding to deal with male victims of sexual violence. I suppose you oppose gay rights because gay rights groups do not also deal with heterosexual problems, you certainly seem the type.

Seems to me it's you that makes things up.Gay rights are for all gay people, regardless of gender. Rape Crisis are primarily for one gender, even though rape victims can be any gender.

However, when a story like this appears in the press its seen by the majority of men as an attack because the bulk of them are not oppressing anyone.

Many issues that "kid on" feminists raise are not feminist issues, they are human issues, like domestic abuse, sexual assault and street harassment etc, no one should be subjected to these and the support of victims and punishment of offenders should be equal also.

You cant break down gender barriers and build your own, like if thanks to Rosa Parks not giving up her seat led to a thriving African American only bus service with no whites allowed

Good post. There are feminists(by their own definition not the one above ) who attack men for oppressing women, this puts your typical man on the defensive because as you say, their not oppressing anyone, yet feel blamed for doing so.

The 'all men are b*****ds' attitude self perpetrates as they can then turn around and say 'look, they are on the defensive , therefore they are sexist'

This also works for the sexists in a way, they act in a sexist way, women react and they 'prove ' themselves right that women are reactionary/emotional and anti-men.

.Gay rights are for all gay people, regardless of gender. Rape Crisis are primarily for one gender, even though rape victims can be any gender.

Rape crisis was originally founded to help women who had been victims of sexual violence and to raise awareness of the issue. You are trying to rationalise your hatred of womens rights by hair splitting over the the name "rape crisis".

You will be popular here though, many misogynists will be looking for an angle to justify their hatred of women getting more equal treatment in society.

I'd like to see a television show in which 20 men are given the opportunity to judge 1 woman based solely on her looks and one of her talents. They can 'turn off their light' if they find her unattractive.

I'd also suggest some sort of early-afternoon panel show featuring a group of horny old men. They can sit around a table and have a laugh about their stupid wives who barely provide anything worthwhile in the bedroom. Occasionally they will interview an attractive younger woman and fawn all over her.

I wonder what the public reaction would be like if these two shows were a reality.

Advertising is particularly bad for this. Can you imagine a "when she walked in she was a 4 but now..she's an 8!" or Raul from the Irn Bru ad being the one nicking girls pants so they have to walk about naked for men's amusement? There would be carnage.

I generally don't get too bothered by this kind of sexism because looking at the big picture, there clearly are much, much bigger issues of gender inequality.

Most of the criticism against feminism seems proper putting words in other people's mouths stuff, tbh. "They don't care about men's issues", "they're elitists who don't care about low income women", "they hate men".

Complete unfounded generalisations seemingly based on nothing but prejudice. As long as there are pretty obvious disadvantages faced by a group in society, I don't begrudge people campaigning specifically in the name of that group.

The advertising point is a fair one - to an extent.

But as with racism, you have to take the historical context into account. It's not that long ago that women were having to fight for the very basic equalities that we now take for granted.

We can't just forget that ever happened.

Just thought it odd they seem to be advocating murder as some sort of female empowerment while dancing in their undies. But hey,each to their own

I can see where you're coming from, but you should give the movie a swatch and it might make a bit more sense. On a sidenote, is your username a pun which I'm not understanding or have you just spelt it wrong?

Archived