http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-depressing-reality-of-white-male-supremacy-in-the-uk-has-just-been-mapped-out-9880133.html

This stuff is really starting to wind me up. Does the author of this article realise that people aren't voting for male candidates simply because they're white and male? It just so happens that, in the majority of constituencies, the voters have deemed a white male to be the most suitable person to represent them. In their fantasy "representative" parliament you have the opportunity for "better" candidates to be overlooked in order to put token representatives in there to make up the numbers.

Ugh, rant over. Kick them all in the pie?

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know who's really under-represented in Parliament? Dead people. I propose at least one dead candidate for each constituency, and a minimum of 2 dead MPs in the House of Commons.

You know who's really under-represented in Parliament? Dead people. I propose at least one dead candidate for each constituency, and a minimum of 2 dead MPs in the House of Commons.

I know right, dead people make up over 99% of the people to have ever set foot in the UK yet they've never had a representative in the commons, what an outrage!!!

Is Margo MacDonald technically a dead MSP since she was never replaced?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-depressing-reality-of-white-male-supremacy-in-the-uk-has-just-been-mapped-out-9880133.html

This stuff is really starting to wind me up. Does the author of this article realise that people aren't voting for male candidates simply because they're white and male? It just so happens that, in the majority of constituencies, the voters have deemed a white male to be the most suitable person to represent them. In their fantasy "representative" parliament you have the opportunity for "better" candidates to be overlooked in order to put token representatives in there to make up the numbers.

I suppose it's possible that half of the constituencies in the land have never been presented with an appealing candidate who wasn't a white guy.

Although the idea that the electorate keep returning "the most suitable person to represent them" is probably flawed, given some of the chancers, crims and no-marks who have sat in parliament over the years.

If women could actually take a wee break from spending all their time telling each other how horrible men are and actually stood for election there would be a lot more female MPs. The proportion of women standing almost exactly matches the proportion of female elected MPs. So it's clearly their own laziness and sense of entitlement holding them back, the electorate votes on merit, not gender.

The final column of the following graphs proves it:

post-30062-0-69628000-1416908716_thumb.j

post-30062-0-18958600-1416908741_thumb.j

It's interesting to note here - it'd also be true to say e.g. that Celtic have won so many league titles because they've consistently had the best team in the division, and quality will tell over a season.

And yet, I imagine some people will automatically - and rightly - put much of this down to structural inequalities in football, while still refusing to believe that any such inequalities could exist elsewhere in public life.

I agree with everything mentioned on this thread, even posts by Clarkston and Mr Bairn :o

I was listening to radio Scotland yesterday morning where this feminist lady got the smack down from some Tory boy (who I was cheering on :o ) about why there are more male politicians than woman politicians. She got absolutely owned before proceeding to haver the same shit over again.

There are a ton of issues faced by women in society that need tackled and are a just cause imo.

However, some of the current stuff this internet/twitter/blog type feminism seems to fixate on is absolutely ludicrous nonsense.

That scientist wearing a shirt that they deemed offensive after they landed that satellite on the comet and then having to give an apology being the worst recent example.

Some of the articles you get are total heads gone stuff, particularly anything written by Jessica Valenti.

Archived