Your Club's U20 Manager

Might be boring to others, but I thought it'd be interesting to hear about each other club's U20 manager, if he has a chance of eventually becoming manager or if he's just biding his time to strike out on his own right and how you rate him. Reason I started this thread was because I see Jonatan Johansson is Motherwell's U20 manager which came as a bit of a shock to me.

At Dundee, we have former Manchester United youth Eddie Johnson who was one of the many players that Man United loaned to Royal Antwerp back in the day. He was flirting around the lower leagues of English football before finally appearing in the MLS for Portland Timbers where he played 7 games. Before he could get into the swing of things, however, he suffered a horrific injury that forced him to retire. Pretty sure it was something related to his head as he can't even take part in the more intensive training routines, so retired at 29. Hartley had him doing some scouting for us before the end of last season, before head hunting him to become more involved and take over our U20s. Seems to be very highly regarded as a coach within the club.

I doubt he'll have any chance of the manager's job once Hartley inevitably leaves, although I do think there is something with him leaving an MLS side and our owners so you never know.

I think managing youths is completely different from managing the First Team. There is far less pressure to succeed so long as you keep producing players. Obviously it does work sometimes but if my club was to promote the Youth Team coach, I would be seriously underwhelmed.

Did Livingston not give the managers to job to the Under 14s manager for about 10 minutes during a close season a few a years ago?

I have no idea who ours is, tbh. Alec Cleland and Callum Davidson are both involved, while Alistair Stevenson oversees the entire Youth Set up. We've got a raft of coaches all the way up the age ranges. Seems like Davidson is being primed to take over as first team manager of the senior side at some point.

Jack Ross. Think there is a very high chance he could be Hearts manager.

Him and Levein sit just infront of me at games and Levein is basically coaching him through games at the moment, grooming him to be Neilson's replacement when that sad day arrives.

Mr Romanov, on 24 Nov 2014 - 20:35, said:

Jack Ross. Think there is a very high chance he could be Hearts manager.

Him and Levein sit just infront of me at games and Levein is basically coaching him through games at the moment, grooming him to be Neilson's replacement when that sad day arrives.

He's a big Dee fan. If he shows promise in the U20's and we lose Hartley before you lose Neilson he'd probably be a possibility for our job to as long as it were in a couple of years.

We've got Paul Sheerin. I wouldn't have thought he'd be our manager anytime soon however the u20s are top of the league so it looks like he's doing a very good job. How much that has to do with his work is debatable, we do seem to have a good youth network all over Scotland. His spell at Arbroath was a bit of a mixed bag, and I'd imagine if we had to replace McInnes we'd be looking for someone a little more proven than him.

RussellAnderson, on 24 Nov 2014 - 21:09, said:

We've got Paul Sheerin. I wouldn't have thought he'd be our manager anytime soon however the u20s are top of the league so it looks like he's doing a very good job. How much that has to do with his work is debatable, we do seem to have a good youth network all over Scotland. His spell at Arbroath was a bit of a mixed bag, and I'd imagine if we had to replace McInnes we'd be looking for someone a little more proven than him.

Take away Sheerin's last season and a half at Arbroath and he was one of the top prospects in Scotland. I think (Arbroath fans can correct me if I'm wrong) he stayed at Arbroath too long and he began to run out of ideas and they began to slide. No surprise to see him doing well with your U20's. Agree with you that I can't see him becoming a top flight manager anytime soon, but could see him taking over a Championship side at some point in the future.

Alan Robertson.

Kilmarnock's record appearance holder (607 matches, will never be matched again) and one of the club's true gents. Been our youth coach since 1989, and his teams have always moved with the times. Some of the football our U20s play is scintellating, and they're generally better to watch than the senior team.

Has been approached about taking over the full job before, but he doesn't fancy it. He's happy developing the kids with little or no pressure. Saying that, his excellent work led to this awkward as f**k picture being taken of all the players at the club who were currently representing their respective countries...

KSLads.jpg

I might be wrong, but I think the young group coming through at Arbroath were brought in by Sheerin, they're reaping the benefit now.

Well that's really promising, especially if they're still reaping the benefits now. A lot of the players playing in the u20s for us have been proven top flight talents however, Cammy Smith, Nicky Low, etc

Yes?

"Well over 100" English scouts? When there are only 92 Football League clubs? You could probably even take 40 off that number as the bottom rung of clubs aren't really in a position to send scouts to Hamilton for an U20s game with players they have no real prospect of signing.

Nobody is doubting that some scouts would be there, that happens at all U20s games. But to suggest that every English League side, plus a handful of conference teams, sent a scout up to that is ludicrous.

Archived