Livi Deducted points

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our ground is not "miles from the town" by any stretch of the imagination. The new one, however, will be.

The bowling club is practically in the stadium car park. I'm beginning to wonder if you've ever actually been to any of these grounds as you're getting all the details totally wrong.

If you are talking about the town centre the new ground will be about the same distance as the current one.

I don't know how you define a "stand" but I would think most people's definition would require it to have seats! Annan do NOT have a stand behind the goal, they have a fairly newly constructed covered terrace.

Dumbarton's ground is within the town (granted I've no idea where it is in relation to the train station) and certainly close to the bowling club. New housing has sprung up immediately round the ground but the location of the town and the ground hasn't changed since it was built!

I have no idea what pub you were in that someone sold programmes in. The programmes are sold at the ground and to the best of my knowledge nowhere else. Unless someone went and bought a bundle and brought them back to the pub to sell off their own back? It's not impossible a programme seller wandered far enough to reach the nearest pub to the ground but I wasn't conscious they were doing that. Used to happen sometimes a good many years ago though.

Didn't realise the ground behind the goal wasn't seated at annan; haven't seen a covered standing area for many years - that being said "stands" were not obliged to have seats when I first started going to football so maybe its a generational thing. I do however wonder whether those "stands", on the continent, with removeable seats are stands for international matches and not for domestic matches.

The distance Dumbarton's stadium is from the bowling club isn't really that interesting; it seemed a fair way at the time down that road to the rock but that's my personal experience. Irrespective their distance from the bowling club can hardly have an effect on their ability to run a part time team or turn a profit can it? The fact is their stadium seems to fit the bill

Can't remember the name of the pub on the outskirts of Dumfries; all I know is it was on the main road in from the motorway with a large carpark to the side (enough for three coaches etc) and still a mile or two from the ground I think. I thought it was a general thing that programmes were being sold ion all pubs pre match but maybe that was a special arrangement - if so someone was obviously pretty genned up on where the supporters coaches were due to stop.

In that case many of our support must be in line to rival Usain Bolt, they can walk from the High St to the ground in about.......10 minutes. Miles? Really?

Fcuk me, it's about 200 yards, tops.

Google has the Dumbarton Central to the stadium as 0.9 miles and the bowling club is 900m away not that its in any way relevant to whether the stadium is suitable or not.

Didn't realise the ground behind the goal wasn't seated at annan; haven't seen a covered standing area for many years - that being said "stands" were not obliged to have seats when I first started going to football so maybe its a generational thing. I do however wonder whether those "stands", on the continent, with removeable seats are stands for international matches and not for domestic matches.

The distance Dumbarton's stadium is from the bowling club isn't really that interesting; it seemed a fair way at the time down that road to the rock but that's my personal experience. Irrespective their distance from the bowling club can hardly have an effect on their ability to run a part time team or turn a profit can it? The fact is their stadium seems to fit the bill

Can't remember the name of the pub on the outskirts of Dumfries; all I know is it was on the main road in from the motorway with a large carpark to the side (enough for three coaches etc) and still a mile or two from the ground I think. I thought it was a general thing that programmes were being sold ion all pubs pre match but maybe that was a special arrangement - if so someone was obviously pretty genned up on where the supporters coaches were due to stop.

tumblr_meddouhgyB1rsuxuyo3_250.gif

haven't seen a covered standing area for many years

Huh? Have you not been to Alloa or Queen of the South or Ayr or Brechin or Forfar or Arbroath or Stenhousemuir or any number of other Scottish grounds during those years?

Huh? Have you not been to Alloa or Queen of the South or Ayr or Brechin or Forfar or Arbroath or Stenhousemuir or any number of other Scottish grounds during those years?

Alloa used to have covered standing but thought it was replaced by that tent thing.

If you are talking about the town centre the new ground will be about the same distance as the current one.

New one definitely further away. I've knocked up a handy graphic, and included the bowling club and station for Durnford's sake.

post-16460-0-04979400-1417184204_thumb.p

Ah, cheers HJ, that was what I was looking for earlier.

So you need three sides down to level nine, and two below that. I'm also fond of the overall catch-all statement that the ground "must give an overall appearance and impression of being a football ground".

Yes, I like that too.

I don't know how you define a "stand" but I would think most people's definition would require it to have seats! Annan do NOT have a stand behind the goal, they have a fairly newly constructed covered terrace.

Totally agree.

The stand at a football ground is the bit where you sit. If you wish to stand at the football, you avoid going to a stand. It stands to reason.

I actually mean it. It annoys me when people refer to our Portland Road end as a stand. Admittedly though, quite a lot of things annoy me.

The Lochar Inn. Interesting you mentioned about pubs putting on pies, most pubs will do this if you let them know in advance there is a bus load coming! Grand Central and Da Vincis have both done it in recent seasons for QoS fans.

Archived