The club that vanished- The story of Gretna

Thought the documentary was good, if a bit cuddly.

This seems to be an in vogue thing at the minute though, football documentaries. BT Sport have been showing a whole host of excellent ones, including the fantastic 'Football Outposts'. Gid stuff to pass an hour or two with.

The European version with Killie's UEFA Cup opponents Zelzejnicar:

And the U.K. version, featuring Arbroath and Paul Sheerin cutting up flowers:

Alexander is a wee bit underrated as a manager: you still need a level of competency to be a successful chequebook manager (see McInally, J. and McCoist, A. as very good examples of those who failed even at this). If Scottish football wasn't such an old boys' club recycling the same dinosaur managers then he'd have found a reasonable club.

Gretna on the other hand were a horrible outfit.

Where did you find that figure? I understood that it was around £4 million officially but assets made it effectively £3 million.

He had £8million worth of debt, and £2million worth of assets.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/former-gretna-owner-brooks-mileson-made-bankrupt-a-year-after-dying-1-792676

And also worth noting that not all of that was from Gretna F.C.

Edited by Quitongo's Left Peg

Where did you find that figure? I understood that it was around £4 million officially but assets made it effectively £3 million.

For my sins, it was the Daily Record. I appreciate how stupid it is to lift figures from those cockweasels, so it's probably wrong.

They did leave creditors with millions of debt though so the whole "it's a fairly tale" is bullshit.

Tuned in thinking it was about the Rangers

Grady's last minute goal relegated us, the most gutted I have ever been at football. I was also sorry for St Johnstone who I felt deserved to go up that year.

That's a common misconception. Even if Grady didn't score, County were still relegated.

Sevco aside, I don't think there's been a more universally hated club in Scottish football.

One of the most pleasing games I ever attended was when we scudded them 4-0 on their own patch. Conversely, losing 3-0 at Hampden was utterly horrific - although it did mark the beginning of the end for Alan Kernaghan so every cloud and all that.

Sky Sports have a long way to go compared to the quality of football documentaries produced by BT Sport. Thought it was pretty poor actually, and it didn't really dig deep enough.

It was just a glorified puff piece. No digging ever on the agenda.

Did the true story of Alexander's departure ever come out? I remember reading rumours of booze or depression but nothing definite.

Still convinced Main let in an easy winner for us against them in a 2-1 win at mcdiarmid.

Never liked the b*****ds. Long been convinced that Geoff brown had a mileson voodoo doll that finally killed him off.

My main memory of their time in the SPL was when they came up to Pittodrie just after the shit had hit the fan financially. For the only time I remember the away section of the South Stand was closed for a league game and the Gretna fans were put into a corner of the Main Stand instead. We didn't have too bad a record against them - 2 wins and a draw.