The club that vanished- The story of Gretna

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely zero idea why the SPL didnt act at the time and refuse them entry as they clearly were on their way out before they even started the season (best similar example is Bury).

After all the flack they got for denying Falkirk a promotion because of "off field matters" they'd probably become over-cautious about not giving clubs what they'd "earned on the park"

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Doesn't that include a points deduction too?

Aye it does. That Gretna team were far from the worst ever to grace the top flight - even after they imploded and were playing Kyle Naughton at centre-forward they still picked up a few decent results.

3 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

On the opposite side of that, watching the St Johnstone fans faces drop after the full time whistle went as news of Grady’s goal ticked through was delicious.

Some of them were claiming Gretna fixed it to kick off late as well.

You were probably one of the Hamilton fans who goaded us as we left the ground. 

I, proudly, proclaimed it was just jealousy because Hamilton would never come close to promotion...

Still mind my dad saying Hamilton would beat us to the league the following year, and we wouldn’t be involved in the title race in 07/08.

Hated him being right about that.

We played them 4 times - one once (which I'd forgotten about), drew twice and lost once. The loss was a 4-2 loss at Fir Park where we were down 3-0 at half-time. I'd wanted to go but couldn't for some reason I've forgotten about, very glad in the end I avoided seeing that one.  I'd also forgotten about the time we beat them there too - while I don't miss them at all and felt very little sympathy for them at the time I did feel sympathy for the guys who'd been going to see them for years and years. If it hadn't been for Gretna I'm certain that we'd have been relegated that year as we had a particularly poor season. 

Any potential parallels in the current leagues? I know some folk are whingeing about Cove, but I think they have several people other than their chairman who could invest so they're more likely to hit their level (Championship maybe?) then stick IMO. Brora seem to be looking good in HL - are they still a bit of a chairman's plaything? Geography not helping them either if they come up so might worry about their long term survival. Know nothing about Kelty but they are also getting coverage due their generous backing. 

Any potential parallels in the current leagues? I know some folk are whingeing about Cove, but I think they have several people other than their chairman who could invest so they're more likely to hit their level (Championship maybe?) then stick IMO. Brora seem to be looking good in HL - are they still a bit of a chairman's plaything? Geography not helping them either if they come up so might worry about their long term survival. Know nothing about Kelty but they are also getting coverage due their generous backing. 

EK have a fair bit of backing in the Lowland Lesgue. But the struggles of the HL/LL League side to get into league 2 are well documented.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Square go ya c**t.

There was a fair bit of dancing after the game , iirc .... bottles been thrown , folk rolling about , bods lifted .... 

‘twas a good day ....

13 hours ago, Utter Roaster said:

Brora have no interest in getting out of the Highland League at all. The guy who pumped money into them has cut back, but any money at all in the HL makes you a world beater at that level, basically. It just doesn't tend to last long.

15 hours ago, Utter Roaster said:

Kelly are the obvious one. Signing players from League One last season due to giving them a pay rise. Scobbie is allegedly fairly close to his was with us once you add in bonuses etc.