Despite some cliches, not your usual blog about Junior football

The Old Northerner

Definitely a good read. Found this snippet about Spartans interesting:

A couple of weeks before the Lowland League started we went to Spartans v. Threave Rovers in the first round of the Ramsden Cup, and Spartans win 4-2. Before the game, we did notice that despite Spartans playing next to the Pilton estate in Edinburgh, the crowd appeared completely middle class. When we asked someone associated with the club why this was so they answered, ‘We tried inviting local kids last season but they made too much noise. We got complaints from neighbours, so we stopped it’.

Definitely a good read. Found this snippet about Spartans interesting:

A couple of weeks before the Lowland League started we went to Spartans v. Threave Rovers in the first round of the Ramsden Cup, and Spartans win 4-2. Before the game, we did notice that despite Spartans playing next to the Pilton estate in Edinburgh, the crowd appeared completely middle class. When we asked someone associated with the club why this was so they answered, We tried inviting local kids last season but they made too much noise. We got complaints from neighbours, so we stopped it.

Agree with everyone, excellent read. Spartans really do strike me as a club who try real hard but have no real souł.

Agree with everyone, excellent read. Spartans really do strike me as a club who try real hard but have no real souł.

I went along to their 1st home game in the Lowland league with a workmate when I was working through in the East last year, the set up was class with a cracking wee bar up the stairs , decent wee seated stand and some terracing opposite the stand side also. Really expected a better crowd though. Take away all the kids and coaches wearing Spartans tracksuits and you'd be very lucky to have 40 paying spectators. Not much cheering either when they got a late(ish) equalizer either, just a clap of the hands , most teams fans would be roaring their team to go on and get a 2nd. Standard of play wasn't bad though. Would def say top Superleague first to bottom half Super prem if I was to judge it on that game alone.

I went along to their 1st home game in the Lowland league with a workmate when I was working through in the East last year, the set up was class with a cracking wee bar up the stairs , decent wee seated stand and some terracing opposite the stand side also. Really expected a better crowd though. Take away all the kids and coaches wearing Spartans tracksuits and you'd be very lucky to have 40 paying spectators. Not much cheering either when they got a late(ish) equalizer either, just a clap of the hands , most teams fans would be roaring their team to go on and get a 2nd. Standard of play wasn't bad though. Would def say top Superleague first to bottom half Super prem if I was to judge it on that game alone.

I don't claim to be any expert on Spartans but their foundation (as recently as the early 1950s) as an Edinburgh University FC 'old boys' club wouldn't have helped I'm sure. When I was running Scottish Non League site I had an email from one of their guys who said most of their support at that time (early 00s) had that sort of background too, as did their players then (albeit widened to all of Scotland afaik). They've never had a tradition of being well-supported by local people so the project at Ainslie is very much in its early stages - build a community club and get the young lads along on senior matchday, and hope they'll come back forever more.

This is what i am getting at , the impression i get from them and what i have heard from people who have visited. I can't talk the now through shouting today at the junior fitba, at one point i thought i was going to have a heart attack. Game was full of passion on and off the park the way football should be.

In saying that they should be commended on the work they do with youth football.

Archived