Next Rangers Manager?

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging on how Motherwell have went from strength to strength after he left I would class this as a pretty impossible task to keep doing this year after year, lets face it, he did as much as he could with Motherwell (consecutive 2nd place finishes on a tiny budget, champions league, europe, record win streaks), got fed up and left, who can blame him.

All these hypocritical comments comings from guys like you who only a few months earlier were describing him as 'fucking phenomenal.' are just laughable sour grapes due to him joining Rangers.

The irony meter on max, Tedi you and your fellow dupes spend every post denying the plight of your club and playing staff by the we know whats going on and then you have become a bona fide expert on Motherwell's recent history.

He didn't get fed up, he admitted he had tried everything he could and then walked, now you could say he acknowledged his failings and for the club it was a speedier road than a protracted period where the dressing room and supporters forced the board to act. The 'well posters have given a fairly extensive list of good and bad points over his tenure.

He's in, as there is nothing to lose, he could give your mob the shot in the arm to get you over the line and after that you have made no further commitment so the failure he had at FP to enhance the squad over the longer term might not be an issue.

The thing with this is, if the contract length was 18 months or something, I'd probably just sit back and see what happens. But you'd have to be just utterly blind not to see the comparisons between walking into a weak and drained Rangers side, and the job he had with Motherwell in the first half of the season. As a short term solution, in the position Rangers are in, it's a mind boggling decision. He might of course turn it around and make us look like fools, and if he does, fair enough.

Scottish Football Fan, on 13 Mar 2015 - 13:16, said:

I can't believe the hypocrisy of some of the posters on this board when it comes to Rangers or Celtic doing anything.

Last season, Well fans were screaming out for McCall to be MOTY because he finished 2nd in the league having lost all his players again, a shoe string budget against a strong Aberdeen after going to Pittodrie on the final day of the season and winning.

Now he takes over at Rangers and his time at Well was poor.

As a Celtic fan, I personally thought McCall should have won MOTY last year and I also reckon he is the best man for the Rangers job. Happy to also predict that he will gain promotion this season. If i was a Rangers fan id be pretty delighted that McCall has arrived.

No matter what Celtic and Rangers do, all of you mob will always go against it anyway

Once again completely ignoring the first half of this season, which bears similarities to the situation Rangers find themselves, and McCall couldn't turn that around.

Keep sticking up for the other arse cheek while showing blind ignorance though.

I can understand the Rangers fans being apprehensive about the comments on here, as obviously McCall's a good guy and he's one of them. They don't seem to be accepting of his very obvious shortfalls though. I was a big fan of McCall, and supported him right up til we left, even though this season was an absolute disaster. Other posters (the motherwell ones) have given very good detailed accounts of his tenure with us and they should be ignored at rangers fans peril.

His ability to replace the sqaud hasn't worked out well, and his lack of bringing through youth has hampered us as well. this season was terrible, we couldn't defend, the team spirit was down and McCall couldn't change things so he left. Last season, oddly our best ever league season, we could see the writing on the walls. We played poorly, but we won. A lot. Usually by hanging on by the skin of our teeth. The two seasons before that, we played great attacking football, and didn't really bother about defending, so was always entertaining.

It's tough to give an overall rating to his tenure as it finished so poorly. Tactically he was quite limited, the 4-4-2 worked well with us, any other tactics tended to fail miserably. Cup games were a huge issue, his cup record with us is terrible. A few decent sigings, some poor ones.

On the plus side, whenever we had a drop in performance, the next game would usually be much better and he would get a reaction from the players.His fantastic league record cannot be fully undone with one disastrous season. He gave an honest assessment of every game we played, he wasn't one to bullshit. When it worked, it worked well.

I like the guy, and wouldn't begrudge him doing well, but I'd rather he failed at rangers simply cos I hate rangers.

Last season, Well fans were screaming out for McCall to be MOTY because he finished 2nd in the league having lost all his players again, a shoe string budget against a strong Aberdeen after going to Pittodrie on the final day of the season and winning.

Jesus wept, can we please put to bed all this pish about him losing *all* his players.

First full season in charge in terms of first team players he lost Sutton, brought in Higdon, Nicky Law, Ojamaa

Second season he lost Jennings & Murphy, he brought in Higginbotham and McFadden

Third season he lost Randolph, Humphrey, Law, Ojamaa, Higdon and Hateley he brought in Gunnar Neilsen, Lawson, Sutton, Vigurs, McManus, Anier, Ainsworth

This season he lost Hutchinson & McFadden (released) and brought in Ainsworth permanently, Ojamaa on loan and his other signing this summer was Josh Law.

Bar the third season where there was a slightly higher than usual turnover of players the myth that's being pedalled that he was essentially starting from scratch each season is exactly that, a myth. He lost players (as most teams do) and was given more than adequate backing to bring in replacements and extend the contracts of McManus, Hammell and Lasley. That's not to mention the quite remarkable list of bang average players he brought in over his tenure (Omar Daley, Adam Cummins, Tim Clancy, Hermann Mboa Mekongo, Francis Jeffers, Maurice Ross, Fraser Kerr, Dan Twardzik, Craig Reid, Mark O'Brien are just a few examples).

Worth noting that he released McFadden claiming that we had enough players looking to play in the strikers positions then by the end of the transfer window he's brought in Ojaama because it turned out we didn't have enough strikers.

He finished 2nd twice and 3rd once with a strong team that he inherited from previous managers. Well done him. He also went out of the cup to Albion Rovers and a 3rd division Sevco, was frequently papped out the cup at the first time of asking and lost in Europe to a part-time Icelandic team having been 2 goals up in the first leg and up twice in the 2nd leg. The team that Baraclough is struggling to turn round is McCall's team, a team who started the season looking unfit and ill prepared and the fact that we've had to bring in 8 new players, bin the coach and recruit a fitness coach before we've even remotely looked like improving tells you pretty much everything you need to know.

Think McCall achieved some really good league finishes at Well....

second a couple of times and third are very respectable,even more so given the budget.

The downside with him is when results started going against his team

the pressure builds and he couldn't hack it...he walked....that is totally different to being

fed up Tedi.

He will be under more pressure at sevco.....it will be interesting to see if he can handle the pressure there.

He was a battler on the pitch, I was surprised he walked from Well, I thought he would have shown more fight

to get Well back on track and further up the league.

On the plus side for Rangers, if it doesn't work out, he's proven he'll resign rather than hang on taking a wage for nothing like the last couple of appointments

I appreciate all the lengthy posts from Motherwell fans on here. A few of you have clearly taken the time to write detailed opinions - most of you following a similar narrative - and with Rangers not being in the league I haven't watched more than the odd bit of the premiership in years.

Most of my opinions on McCall were results orientated and taking it at face value I was pretty delighted as on paper his work with Motherwell was fantastic; as ever it appears stats and results don't tell the whole story though so it's nice to have a little more insight.

That said, I think all things considered he is the right man for the job for the time being. Although I wish that we'd given him a proper contract and said 'go for it, sort things out and make your own team' rather than 'just try and keep us up this season and we'll see, alright?'

Trying to turn things around in a few months and get a team as unfit and useless as ours is, is a big ask. I'd like to have seen him given a longer deal and the time to rebuild without the pressure of immediate promotion.

McCoist waited far too long before finally admitting that he was out of his depth, so Stuart IMO did the right thing in leaving Well when he did. Sometimes managers just have to leave when its not working out and start again at another club.

Blimey Leo Messi could sign for us( nearly did lol) and you lot on here would argue that he's past his best with no right foot. I'm ever hopeful that mccall can get a reaction from these players. If he does,he will be manager next season.

Absolutely no chance Cathro is leaving La Liga right now, especially while Santo is being suggested for the Barcelona hotseat should it become vacant, and especially not to the current The Rangers.

Normally I'd agree but Cathro's interview comments say differently. Sounds as if he wants in at lower league England/Scotland provided the right opportunity ie, full pre-season as soon as possible.

No, this is you making stuff up, I have been critical of our playing staff and coaching staff for years.

He got fed up.

I know its a daily occurance with you but it's happening again, you are making a breast of yourself when really you should take the experience of the 'Well supporters as being an honest appraisal. What difference does his record make to his appointment unless you employ him beyond the end of the season and allow him to bring in his own team ? The positives you can take was he had limited success whether he can replicate that is anyones guess. However it is churlish to say he got fed up ! so you want to employ someone who lost interest isin't that the criticism you have of many of the present playing staff ?

He is employed on the basis of get us up and we will consider extending your contract, that is the reality but again the tin foil hats are out defending to the hilt for no reason, he put his hand up he tried to tun things round,failed and was magnanimous enough to admit it, did Strachan not do something similar at Middlesborough and before that Coventry.

Given McCoist who I would say even during the original entity days looked out of his depth and your still paying. McCall is not the best but is certainly not the worst.

McCall clearly did amazingly well with Motherwell and over achieved and then done absolutely incredibly shite with Motherwell and underachieved. Watch some of their highlights from this season when he was in charge, he made them look as bad as Arbroath (well how bad we've been in 2015 ;) ) FFS!

It's a good appointment for Sevco but he's obviously got a lot of suspect qualities as a manager too. Only time will tell if he will be an improvement from McCoist and clipboard. One things for certain he will certainly be more professional.

Stop bickering :P

I've said already I think he's a good fit for the job and should do quite well.

The only worrying aspect is his failure ever to beat an Ally McCoist side. That's Ally McCoist ffs!

Archived