Next Rangers Manager?

He was in no way a flop but he has twice walked away from clubs when the going got tough.

The fact he walked away from Motherwell when the going got tough has to be a worry. I am glad he has been brought in as something had to be changed. I am also pleased he is in until the end of the season and we will see where we go from there.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact he walked away from Motherwell when the going got tough has to be a worry. I am glad he has been brought in as something had to be changed. I am also pleased he is in until the end of the season and we will see where we go from there.

Better that than McCoist who hung on waaay too long I suppose.

I suspect McCall may well do a decent job for you guys. Hope I'm wrong! :P

No8., on 12 Mar 2015 - 12:56, said:

The fact he walked away from Motherwell when the going got tough has to be a worry.

It's about time one of your lot acknowledged this.

If you're going to go on about the good time that McCall had, and that's a fairly significant time as well, you have to be able to acknowledge the nightmare he had this season.

You also have to acknowledge that the Rangers side he's taking over isn't much cop either, and his ability to turn that sort of thing around has to be called into question.

If they made it a longer contract, I could see why they'd bring him in. But until the end of the season. I don't get it.

I think its more to get the stadium full and get some money in the door, as it gives potential, appeases the doubting voices (not that you have many of those now the 'good guys' won ?) :rolleyes:

So it is a no brainer really even if it doesn't turn things round McCall's appointment gains time and his wage will be off set by those turning up hoping to see a change. The problem is the playing squad demotivated by all the wrangling who are past their sell by date and have no dog in the fight most know they won't get an extension to their contract and have lost that hunger.

Again it looks like another 'Ranjurs Man' who the fans will side with. He won't have time to go to plan B so it doesn't matter if that doesn't exist, if he gets you promoted then his wages will be paid for as the ST money will roll in as you can resume the bigotfest with the other cheek, fail you are in the mire but you would be there anyway.

So what did McCall win at Motherwell? I keep seeing all this stuff about how good he is and how successful he was.

I keep hearing how great Aiberdeen are, yet Motherwell scudded them three years in a row.....

The rewriting of history by Ps&Ds throughout the whole journey is just unbelievable

In the last week or two Ashley has been bleeding the club dry. We were mugs for buying season tickets as the Spivs were taking all our money. The Good Guys win and Ashley was our only hope...The Spivs and Wigs were doing well in trying circumstances etc.

Stuart McCall routinely made every P&Ds manager of the year list. He takes the Rangers job and he is a Bradford and Motherwell flop.

Unbelievable just how two faced the Ps and D's are these days.

Unbelievable just how two faced the Ps and D's are these days.

What do you make of his last few months though? Given it's pretty relevant to the job that he's walking into?

Can he actually turn things around at Rangers? Something he found difficult at Motherwell?

if he gets you promoted then his wages will be paid for as the ST money will roll in as you can resume the bigotfest with the other cheek, fail you are in the mire but you would be there anyway.

This bit is just not true. Promotion will have very little affect on Season Ticket sales at Ibrox.

What do you make of his last few months though? Given it's pretty relevant to the job that he's walking into?

Can he actually turn things around at Rangers? Something he found difficult at Motherwell?

I'm not sure that any manager\coach can get a bunch of players who got away with downing tools a long time ago, they've had it too cushy for too long and this short termism is the wrong way to go.

We need to be planning ahead for next season, not trying to convince Boyd to do some training and put in some effort.

This bit is just not true. Promotion will have very little affect on Season Ticket sales at Ibrox.

If there are signs of progress and working towards righting so e basic errors then I reckon the fans will continue to buy tickets.

I'm not sure that any manager\coach can get a bunch of players who got away with downing tools a long time ago, they've had it too cushy for too long and this short termism is the wrong way to go.

We need to be planning ahead for next season, not trying to convince Boyd to do some training and put in some effort.

Fair post, and one which sort of cements my main problem with the appointment. Contract length. Why not take him in on a more permanent basis right off the bat? Short termism is a good way to put it. But as a short term solution, it's bizarre.

Even John Brown would have made a better short term fire fighter option than McCall and probably cheaper too.

You do know Motherwell were in financial trouble snd have sold or lost their better players and replaced them with lesser players.

Jamie Murphy and Nicky Law being two. Mark Reynolds another. The Keeper Randolph. Yhere are fiur of their better players...The lad Humphrey is another.

McCall overacheived at Motherwell and took them to second and their first ever Champions League qualifiers.

His cup record isnt great but anybody claiming he failed at Motherwell is either a WUM or a complete fucking moron.

And if he had stayed there the likelyhood is that he would have dropped them into the Championship!

Kenny Clipboard falls on his sword.

Nothing about working the rest of his notice period cutting the grass at Murray Park or anything.

What about Fat Salary, maybe he will do walking away to save DK some dosh to pay the new manager and get some paint to tidy up the Stadium. Will McGill's Buses not have some blue paint left over somewhere they can pick up cheap?

McColll can work with a budget so good shout for restart for next season seeing as all the duffers are away. But will the Bears accept middle of the table in the championship.

Hope McCall can also work within a budget too.

HaHa, spectacular back tracking!! Your nominated Manager of the Year, but then he joins Rangers.....priceless!!

I've no idea why its so hard to grasp. Anyone finishing second deserves a nomination for MotY (I notice none of you have brought up the fact I've never said he should win it...), but he had a squad that should be in that area of the table with. When it came to building his own squad and repeating those achievements, he failed, and with a shite squad hes done shit. Judging him by his time at Motherwell he can do well with a good squad in good form, but can't cope with a poor team in poor form and can't identify how to change that.

Rangers are a poor team in poor form who need someone to identify how to change that.

Archived