Next Rangers Manager?

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rewriting of history by Ps&Ds throughout the whole journey is just unbelievable

In the last week or two Ashley has been bleeding the club dry. We were mugs for buying season tickets as the Spivs were taking all our money. The Good Guys win and Ashley was our only hope...The Spivs and Wigs were doing well in trying circumstances etc.

Stuart McCall routinely made every P&Ds manager of the year list. He takes the Rangers job and he is a Bradford and Motherwell flop.

Seeing as when he came into Motherwell we were a top six side and he left us as relegation favourites - I'd say he was hardly a success.

No 2 arses it up again...lol

No 2 arses it up again...lol

You do know Motherwell were in financial trouble snd have sold or lost their better players and replaced them with lesser players.

Jamie Murphy and Nicky Law being two. Mark Reynolds another. The Keeper Randolph. Yhere are fiur of their better players...The lad Humphrey is another.

McCall overacheived at Motherwell and took them to second and their first ever Champions League qualifiers.

His cup record isnt great but anybody claiming he failed at Motherwell is either a WUM or a complete fucking moron.

I'm not sure what contradicts me there, I've already said he was successful at Motherwell. His biggest problem was trying to identify players to replace those key players who left, he simply couldn't cope when his good players left.

The comment about players ripping us apart is true too, although it referenced Jamie Murphy, Chris Humphrey and then Lionel Ainsworth. All tricky players with ridiculous pace who caused our ageing, static backline problems. McCall only signed Ainsworth from those three, and hes easily the worst and least ineffective of the three.

I'm saying he won't be a success at Rangers because there isn't a good squad for him to start with, and he's going to have to rely on his ability to build a squad, something he wasn't good at with Motherwell.

HaHa, spectacular back tracking!! Your nominated Manager of the Year, but then he joins Rangers.....priceless!!

Seems strange that he left Motherwell because he couldn't find a way to pull us back up, only to take on another job where exactly the same problem will apply, only to a greater extent.

I suppose the allure of potentially being The Rangers' last ever manager was too much to resist.

Butcher also being suggested for manager of the year makes a mockery of that entire list tbh.

The difference between a 2nd placed Motherwell and an 11th placed Motherwell is that core of good players that left.

This season when it came down to McCall having to make the remaining shite players into good players, he admitted he didn't know what to do and was sacked.

Time will tell. He surely can't be worse than McDowall but there are questions, rightly being asked of what he actually brought to the table at Motherwell, no matter what the succulent lamb media say.

This is another to add to the list of tl,dr things I've posted variously about McCall, in short I never liked him and was pleased to see him walk from Fir Park however as much as I disliked him and his management style at Fir Park he was by no means a failure as such, he's just not as good a manager as he's credited with being.

You have to give him credit for his league finishes (though no one mentions the caveat of it being in a league that had Hearts falling to bits, Hibs in free-fall and being before the likes of Aberdeen got good again). There's no denying that he took over a team that had a consistent run of mid-table finishes (3rd & 7th under McGhee, 5th in the Gannon/Brown that started well but saw the wheels totally come off and 6th when McCall arrived) and similarly he left them kicking about the bottom of the table with a team that was absolutely bereft. To put this in context, in order for us to see a slight upturn in performances we've had to add 8 new players to the squad McCall left behind, they really were that poor. So make of that what you will.

He inherited a more than decent squad the foundations of which were put in place by Gannon & Brown, as others have said, Gannon may have been a Grade A mentalist but he had a good eye for a player. The team McCall inherited consisted of: Randolph, Hammell, Steven Saunders (pre-injury), Craigan, Hutchison, Hateley, Humphrey, Lasley, Jennings, Jamie Murphy, Sutton. That's a team that was (clearly) good enough to compete in the SPL.

McCall's immediate additions? Steve Jones, Gavin Gunning, Maurice Ross and Franny Jeffers. Mmmmm-hmmmm.

Beyond Nicky Law, Higdon, Ojaama and at a stretch McFadden and Ainsworth (as pleased as I was that Faddy signed it was a fairly inconsistent return) his signings were at best 'meh', at worst Omar Daly (I could substitute a ton of names here, he really doesn't have an eye for a player). Before anyone says "Oh! but he was working on a shoestring budget", he had a budget, he just didn't spend it well. Gannon didn't spend any transfer fees but he still managed to bring in: John Ruddy, Steve Jennings, Giles Coke, Chris Humphrey, Lukas Jutkiewicz and Tom Hateley all of whom were good players for an SPL level and in a couple of cases better than SPL level. McCall on the other hand brought in a raft of average players as short term fixes and the fairly abject squad we've had at Motherwell this season is the result.

More pertinent to the situation he finds himself in now with Sevco is the fact that he seemed unable to motivate his teams to perform above themselves, you might say that finishing 3rd & 2nd last season proves otherwise but the fact is that the team he inherited was good enough to compete with most of the teams in the league. He's a manager who plays the percentages, he focuses on the games he thinks he can win and completely writes off the ones against "bigger" teams. We resolutely didn't turn up in the cup final, I think most Well fans who were at the Panithinikos and Levante games in Europe would concede that his team looked beaten before we even kicked off in those games. He was even talking us down before Stjarnan this season. Then of course there's Albion Rovers.

Having said all that, overall he wasn't the great manager that the media and fans of other clubs seem to be really keen to portray, the league finishes are really just something that he's been able to hang his hat on and dine out with, which I'd argue is why he chose to jump ship when he did. I think he's played his cards well in that respect, but then he's a media man and the whole "had Motherwell punching above their weight & had all his players sold boo-hoo" narrative seems to work really well for them and it glosses over his fairly stark limitations as a manager and his broader effect on the club so it's no surprise to see them run with it.

I won't even go into him having us roll over every time we played Oldco (17-1 aggregate over 6 league games, 1 point from a possible 18 tells its own story then there's his whole talking us down when we played the Zombie incarnation when they were in the 3rd Division). He never showed any intention of putting out a team to even consider competing against Rangers in any of their forms so in a way to see him roll up at Ibrox CV in hand is hardly a surprise.

My stance on McCall was always that you'd find out how good a manager he actually was when he had his own team on the field and by and large the ageing team that was sitting at the bottom of the league when he decided to walk is that team and that, combined with the frequently poor performances against limited lower league teams, neglect of the youth team and consistent failure to turn up in cup games says a lot more about McCall and his managerial talents than the league finishes do.

Think Iain Cathro might still be in with a shout here. Considering he said he'd only join a club if he starts with a full pre-season and McCall has only been given until the end of the season.

McCall took over a strong Motherwell team that was sitting 3rd(or maybe 4th) in the league when Brown left and then only won something like 6 of his first 20 odd league games as we scraped a top six finish. However he did have to cope with the January losses of Reynolds and Blackman and did reach the Scottish Cup final so a decent enough start.

He then only really lost John Sutton in the summer but added a few quality players to an already strong squad in Higdon, Law and latterly Ojamaa to finish 3rd the following season.

The next season he only lost Jennings in the summer so still had a strong squad and given Rangers demise, Hearts dropping down the table and Hibs and Aberdeen both being gash and in the bottom six it would have been disappointing not to have finished 2nd with a team of;

Randolph, Hateley, Hutchinson, Ramsden, Hammell, Humphrey, Law, Lasley, Murphy/McFadden, Ojamaa & Higdon.

When you consider the standard of the opposition. The only other player he lost than season was Murphy in January but he was allowed to bring in both Kallum Higginbotham and James McFadden to replace him. Something that gets overlooked when talking about him constantly having to deal with losing his best players.

When you look at it in the cold light of day it's something of a myth to say he constantly lost his best played and overachieved. We had the strongest team in the country outside of Celtic, which McCall finished off with the foundations having been laid by Brown and Gannon, with very little in the way of real competition.

The only season that was really applicable to was last season when he lost most of that team and even then he was still allowed to go out and bring in something like 9 players. You could argue he recruited well given we had a tremendous season last season, surpassing strong Aberdeen and Dundee Utd teams to finish 2nd on 70 points.

However his short term recruitment policy last summer and his lack of faith in our youth system has seen our ageing, creaking unbalanced squad exposed this season. Meaning the squad he left behind to Baraclough was essentially fucked and in need of a complete revamp and far weaker than the promising, youthful one he inherited.

Time will tell if McCall is a good manager or just an average one who got lucky by being at the right club at the right time. His tactics were pretty basic, his signings were a mixed bag and after his first real bad spell he chucked it admitting he didn't have the answers. His record on paper is tremendous however perhaps not so impressive on closer inspection especially when you look at his dismal record in cup competitions. He certainly wasn't a failure at Motherwell by any means but there's no doubt he left us in a much poorer state than he found us.

Think Iain Cathro might still be in with a shout here. Considering he said he'd only join a club if he starts with a full pre-season and McCall has only been given until the end of the season.

If Cathro goes it'll all be very confusing, I'm sure most people in Scotland will be desperate for him to succeed but still hoping Sevcos glorious failure continues.

The rewriting of history by Ps&Ds throughout the whole journey is just unbelievable

In the last week or two Ashley has been bleeding the club dry. We were mugs for buying season tickets as the Spivs were taking all our money. The Good Guys win and Ashley was our only hope...The Spivs and Wigs were doing well in trying circumstances etc.

Stuart McCall routinely made every P&Ds manager of the year list. He takes the Rangers job and he is a Bradford and Motherwell flop.

He was in no way a flop but he has twice walked away from clubs when the going got tough.

Archived