canoe/kayak thread.

• 6 years later...
Resurrecting this thread. Anyone do this? I've been saying I'd like to have a shot for ages and never got off my arse and did it. Where is a good place to get lessons?
Actually purchased one through Kickstarter few months ago. Funding was fulfilled so it's gone into production, ETA for delivery Spring Time. It's a kayak but can change to a paddle board. Foldable so can fit in car, and length of 9ft when unfolded. Made of fully recycled products and really cheap as part of Kickstarter. If you Google Origami paddler Kickstarter you can see it, still might be able to invest..

• 1 month later...

Been thinking of getting into this as well, I'm on the lookout to purchase a decent second hand kayak.

We spent a day out on a kayak whilst on holiday in Dubrovnik and loved it.

I live in the Highlands so plan going out on loch morlach and a few other loch's/canal in Inverness area, Nairn/Black Isle too.

If you're wanting something that will be at home on a river canal, loch or paddling around coastlines, then something like a rockhopper http://atlanticfocus.com/k3.40%20rockhopper.htm might be best option. Sea kayaks are great for carrying gear and going fast in a straight line, but too big and poorly manoeuvrable for most inland water. Rockhopper has a retractable skeg and flat keel, so can manage shallow water as well as being reasonable for cutting across open water.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking into this as well. Kayaking across Loch Quoich is probably the only way to make the Rough Bounds Munros beareable. I also quite fancy visiting the wee islands on Loch Maree and a few other places. Any recommendations for an inflatable kayak max £600 mark?

On 10/02/2021 at 02:17, Cyclizine said:

If you're wanting something that will be at home on a river canal, loch or paddling around coastlines, then something like a rockhopper http://atlanticfocus.com/k3.40%20rockhopper.htm might be best option. Sea kayaks are great for carrying gear and going fast in a straight line, but too big and poorly manoeuvrable for most inland water. Rockhopper has a retractable skeg and flat keel, so can manage shallow water as well as being reasonable for cutting across open water.

Thanks for the advice, I had this in mind (see the link) https://www.uk.galaxykayaks.eu/leisure-kayaks/134-cruz-tandem-kayak.html?search_query=Tandem+cruz&results=6

What's your thoughts, would this be quite versatile for loch's/open water & shallows too, or less so?

On 26/02/2021 at 15:37, frankthetank22 said:

Thanks for the advice, I had this in mind (see the link) https://www.uk.galaxykayaks.eu/leisure-kayaks/134-cruz-tandem-kayak.html?search_query=Tandem+cruz&results=6

What's your thoughts, would this be quite versatile for loch's/open water & shallows too, or less so?

I think you'd be fine with something like that on a lake or coast. Particularly if you're wanting a two seater. 

Sit on kayaks are safer than enclosed if you've not got a huge amount of experience as if you're flipped you fall out rather than having to release your spraydeck underwater.

I have done a few of the local rivers and reservoirs in a dinghy. Always wanted to buy a cheap kayak for it. 
Where am I best looking?

Also what are the legal repercussions of me just doing what I want on rivers?

I have done a few of the local rivers and reservoirs in a dinghy. Always wanted to buy a cheap kayak for it. 
Where am I best looking?
Also what are the legal repercussions of me just doing what I want on rivers?
Aquascene are recommended mainly for Sevylor inflatables which seem pretty good. Main issue is drying the fuckers. I've splashed (lol) out on a Gumotex Solar 2. More expensive but seems almost universally well regarded. Unfortunately my bank cancelled the transaction because they thought a £923 transaction at 1am for a kayak was dodgy and blocked my card [emoji23] Have to wait for a new one to reorder. SEETHING