Junior Cup Farce

Bankies Alive

Oh stop whinging! It's been like this forever when you play certain lower league teams. Why only now are you bringing this up? Fed up with how your team are playing? Or just fed up with the juniors in general and looking to have a pop or is it both.

Its supposed to be "the big one" "the holy grail" yet we are playing a 3rd round tie on saturday without any referee assistants.

Its a total joke.

I agree completely and I know that some teams can't afford assistant referees but for me they should be compulsory in the Scottish cup.

Its almost impossible for a ref to get crucial & marginal offside decisions correct when not in line and one wrong decision could cost a team the game.

I agree completely and I know that some teams can't afford assistant referees but for me they should be compulsory in the Scottish cup.

Its almost impossible for a ref to get crucial & marginal offside decisions correct when not in line and one wrong decision could cost a team the game.

There's a shortage of referees as it is. At the moment they are only required in the Super Leagues, not the District Leagues. Take the Second Round of the Scottish when there are 64 ties - you are wanting ALL of them to have assistant referees? Where are these extra assistant referees going to appear from?

I don't think clubs should be allowed to decline to take officials. If they are available they should be allocated by the SFA/SJFA and clubs just get on with it.

However as theesel1994 alludes on a normal weekend there are (according to the other thread) only about 30-odd sets of assistants in use across Junior football: 7 in the North, 8 in the East, 13 in the West, plus the odd extra in the lower levels. So you wouldn't be able to cover R2 anyway. But you could put them in as mandatory in R3, instead of R4, if glensmad is correct they only become compulsory from the Last 32 as things currently stand.

There's a shortage of referees as it is. At the moment they are only required in the Super Leagues, not the District Leagues. Take the Second Round of the Scottish when there are 64 ties - you are wanting ALL of them to have assistant referees? Where are these extra assistant referees going to appear from?

Yes I would in an ideal world like to see assistant refs in place for all Scottish cup games when possible.

I knew there was a shortage but if the numbers are available then it should be in place.

£95 before a ball is kicked for ref and Assistants, your club can't be bothered if there were assistants or they would have asked home club to ask for them

Where do you get £95 from It is 30 +30p per mile for the ref and £15 + 15p per mile for his assistants providing they all travel separately.

I don't think clubs should be allowed to decline to take officials. If they are available they should be allocated by the SFA/SJFA and clubs just get on with it.

However as theesel1994 alludes on a normal weekend there are (according to the other thread) only about 30-odd sets of assistants in use across Junior football: 7 in the North, 8 in the East, 13 in the West, plus the odd extra in the lower levels. So you wouldn't be able to cover R2 anyway. But you could put them in as mandatory in R3, instead of R4, if glensmad is correct they only become compulsory from the Last 32 as things currently stand.

I haven't seen the other thread you are talking about but looking at this Saturday's appointments :

West (15 referees/6 assistant referees)

East (17/6)

North (14/0)

Scottish (32/48)

Friendly (1/0)

In total there are 79 referees and 60 assistant referees.

For the second round you are looking at 64 referees and 128 assistant referees.

Maybe they have looked at it already and decided that for the third round they can't have assistants for every game. Looking at the appointments page for the Scottish I can see why the Clydebank fans are a bit peeved as their tie is one of the 8 (out of 32) without assistants.

It happened to Arthurlie at Dunbar last season, think it was the round after that you must have assistants, anyway what was topical about that day was the referee sent off the Arthurlie committee man doing the line so we were left with a referee and one assistant!

It happened to Arthurlie at Dunbar last season, think it was the round after that you must have assistants, anyway what was topical about that day was the referee sent off the Arthurlie committee man doing the line so we were left with a referee and one assistant!

was it Davy Blakey

'Mon the Muncher

Archived